Do you think the art style of Borderlands is...

#1KellyRipyaPosted 3/27/2013 1:55:42 PM
..a big part of the reason it's so addictive and compelling to play day in and day out?

It's one of a kind in its comic book-come-to-life aesthetics, as soon as you start playing there's no way you could ever mistake the game for any other of the thousands of FPS's on the market.

Would it be the same game if it were presented as a more photo realistic shooter? Or do you revel in Borderlands unique aesthetics, and find them to be just as much of a draw to the series as are the loot randomization, massive gun assortment, visceral combat and overall cheeky sense of humor?
---
I love what I destroy and destroy the thing I love
GT: Althea N Hell
#2ssj954vegitoPosted 3/27/2013 2:00:14 PM
Kinda, the weapon style is kind of lent a hand from the style.
---
proud to be a strange EPic
You ever notice that everything in the universe spins.
#3WretchedOwlPosted 3/27/2013 2:01:52 PM
I think thats what makes this game so unique. The comic book art style, the hilarity in the dialogue, and the colorful and wide array of guns. The thing I love the most about this game, is it just does not take itself seriously at all, unlike every other FPS out there. The whole claptrap's secret stash quest when he says 'Its for twinking items between your characters!' This game doesn't try to retain the illusion of not being a video game like most others. Personally, I'd say this game has the perfect balance between guns blazing, explosions, flying body parts, and cartoony graphics with hilarious dialogue. I still laugh my arse off every time I finish Hammerlock's DLC.
---
Some doors are best left closed, because once open, they're easy to walk through again and again.
-- GT: Wretched Owls
#4jreed1337Posted 3/27/2013 2:10:14 PM
WretchedOwl posted...
I think thats what makes this game so unique. The comic book art style, the hilarity in the dialogue, and the colorful and wide array of guns. The thing I love the most about this game, is it just does not take itself seriously at all, unlike every other FPS out there. The whole claptrap's secret stash quest when he says 'Its for twinking items between your characters!' This game doesn't try to retain the illusion of not being a video game like most others. Personally, I'd say this game has the perfect balance between guns blazing, explosions, flying body parts, and cartoony graphics with hilarious dialogue. I still laugh my arse off every time I finish Hammerlock's DLC.

well put.

and yes, the end of Big Game Hunt was hilarious. I cracked up the first time I saw what happened.
---
1+3+3=7
#5Jambi_ManPosted 3/27/2013 2:12:22 PM
I believe the presentation plays a big part in the addictiveness of BL. The cell-shaded characters and guns are more 'iconic'. Companies design ads and logos specifically to be noticed, and remembered, and the gear we all strive to collect in the game was designed the same way.
---
No son, never. The blood stays on the blade. One day you'll understand.
#6KongatthegatiesPosted 3/27/2013 2:15:22 PM
I definitely think there is a place for a realistic art style...but I also think that borderlands is definitely NOT the place. I love the aesthetic, the humor, the lightheartedness juxtaposed against the backdrop of extreme violence. It makes for something really unique and fun!
---
GT: Kongatthegates
#7PDXRoverMechPosted 3/27/2013 2:16:42 PM
i think so. I wanted to like FO3, but i just couldnt get over how dark and drab everything was. i know that was kind of the point, but it just made it uninteresting