Do We Understand the Concept of a Business?

#31Jambi_ManPosted 3/27/2013 7:45:21 PM
Flow_149 posted...
This topic is new and exciting.
Ironically I see more topics moaning about the complainers then the complainers themselves, go figure.

There's a reason for that. That reason being.... It's Five dollars. I only got involved in the topic because of how ridiculous it is to whine over 5 Dollars. People like to talk about things that are bonkers...and this is why we have topics against topics against 5 dollar dlcs.
---
Vladof rules
#32res_black_deathPosted 3/27/2013 8:17:21 PM
Hmm $5...That's like 20 minutes worth of pay from quite a few jobs.

Easily worth it for hours of enjoyment.
#33JimiMorrison187Posted 3/27/2013 9:36:26 PM
You should be able to report topics for "Wall o' Text"
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Kwelity/avila2.jpg
#34wombat013Posted 3/28/2013 12:21:46 AM
JimiMorrison187 posted...

Should be able to report people who can't read a couple of paragraphs squeezed together.

Anyways, ON topic, I think people get a little jaded because so many games do have poor business models and over priced DLC. Borderlands is one of the games that gets it right. I dont understand why people think it's not ok to release new items or whatever for a game. What a thing to whine about, seriously! It's like complaining about after market parts for a car. You think you should have new parts for free to make your car better?
---
He who needs a pat on the back makes every man his judge
#35LordRavielPosted 3/28/2013 12:42:28 AM
The thing with DLC is it is not some sudden change in the attitude of games companies.

DLC exists because of 2 factors. Firstly games have become much more expensive to develop so many companies need to consider ways to get more money from more devoted players to get good returns from games.

Secondly Digital Distribution only became viable on this generation of consoles and DD is the infrastructure needed for DLC to be possible. If Digital Distribution existed 20 or 30 years ago it DLC would have inevitably followed.

As for the issue of whether the DLC is worth the price it is being sold at. You could say the same thing about anything. Businesses set prices to maximise their profits. Without the ability to see into peoples soul and judge exactly what every individual would be willing to pay and charging them that exact amount (provided it is more than production costs) they have to set at which they expect any change in price to reduce profits by way of the change in sales. This inevtably results in some people that value the content between nothing and its selling price feeling like it is too expensive, but don't worry this is what sales and price drops in the future are for.

Based on peoples reaction to DLC I cannot imagine what, with the benefit of an economics perspective, they would think about the practices of perfectly respectable companies they probably deal with every day.

Just think whenever a company does something about how that actionis beneficial to said company. If you think hard enough you will eventually realise just about everything every company chooses to do Is for its own benefit even when it seems completely the opposite is true.
---
Playing: Borderlands 2 and Final Fantasy XI
#36kylekillgannonPosted 3/28/2013 1:18:43 AM
wombat013 posted...
JimiMorrison187 posted...

Should be able to report people who can't read a couple of paragraphs squeezed together.

Anyways, ON topic, I think people get a little jaded because so many games do have poor business models and over priced DLC. Borderlands is one of the games that gets it right. I dont understand why people think it's not ok to release new items or whatever for a game. What a thing to whine about, seriously! It's like complaining about after market parts for a car. You think you should have new parts for free to make your car better?

You're right.

Borderlands did have it right.

Borderlands 2 is a different matter entirely.

Gee, you would think you would listen to what people say before you run around spouting about how it's "JUST Five Dollars!"

Yeah. It is just Five Dollars. But the fact of the matter is whether or not the product is worth Five Dollars. For Ten Dollars last game we got a DLC that added the very first Raid Boss, a whole new map, new upgrades, new weapons, a new story, new enemies, new characters, new vehicles, and a level cap increase.

For half the price, we seem to be getting New guns, new SDU, new level cap, and a mode that allows us to replay the whole campaign over on a higher difficulty.

Overall I feel we're getting less than we're paying for, but really it's going to depend on how the Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode pans out.

Now the real question is, why do YOU and people like you act so entitled as to say that other people's opinions are less valid because they are "jaded" or not. Why is this such an ordeal for you guys to believe that some people simply are apprehensive about the product and its worth? Why are you all so immature as to not question the actual worth of something and just consume it at face value?

Are you one of those GENIUSES who buys a car at sticker price? Because it is jaded, spoiled, or "entitled" of others to haggle?
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#37kylekillgannonPosted 3/28/2013 1:20:50 AM
LordRaviel posted...

None of this helps make your point come across any better. It doesn't help convey whether an issue of price is valid by presenting the corporate logic of things.
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#38AlleRacingPosted 3/28/2013 1:32:39 AM
While I personally would be fine with the $5 price if I wasn't already getting it for free, it seems too many people confuse the terms economical and ethical. People's apprehension is not based around whether or not they can afford it or whether or not they understand that businesses are trying to make money, it's based around whether they think it's a good business practice for consumers to take part in, as stuff like this sets precedents to be continued or increased in the future. That is what people take issue with.

Also, maybe it's just me, but why do so many consumers feel they need to argue on a company's behalf? It's generally in a consumer's best interest to pay lower prices while the producer's interests are the opposite.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#39DMBHovDogPosted 3/28/2013 2:31:41 AM
What he said.
Until consumers hit them in the wallet, companies will continue to nickel and dime gamers. For a pure business standpoint, even the non-offenders would be ill advised to NOT follow suit of companies like EA...I fear a future where all games are episodic...

That being said, what Gearbox is doing is currently nowhere near as bad as say EA. I'm an avid golfer and loved sitting down with Tiger Woods during the offseason but a few years ago I got fed up with the DLC courses and such...checked XBOX marketplace this Tuesday and what do you know? A ton of the SAME courses I bought on previous editions of that game for the same or higher price.

If a company like EA wants to make money AND satisfy consumers, release new courses, and maybe a one time code to import old/previously purchased courses.
#40smurfsn1p3rPosted 3/28/2013 2:53:16 AM
First we hear all the whining about the need for a level cap, now we hear about the whining because it is $5. I feel more ripped off that the extra charcter will not be included. I would drop $10 for the level cap, and the character.
---
She's courting him. With a fear reserved for dragons.