Do We Understand the Concept of a Business?

#41LordRavielPosted 3/28/2013 4:06:20 AM
kylekillgannon posted...
LordRaviel posted...

None of this helps make your point come across any better. It doesn't help convey whether an issue of price is valid by presenting the corporate logic of things.

The idea of a valid price is nonsense to begin with though. Something is worth precisely what someone is willing to pay for it which is a value that varies from person to person. As I said since it is at the very least horrificly impractical to determine what something is worth to a specific individual and charge them that price, as long as it costs less to make than the buyer pays,there has to be 1 price, that price will allways be set by the seller and therefore set to maximise the benefit to the seller which will inevitably divide those that would be willing to buy into those that are fine with the price and those who feel it is too expensive.

To argue the price of something is too high and should be lower because you personally don't see something as valuable enough to justify a higher prices is to argue that sellers should not be able set their prices where it benefits them. If that reasoning was enforceable it would go down great when you try to sell something and the buyer gets it for the price he wants simply because they didn't think it was worth your price despite the fact there may have been many people willing to pay you as much if not more that you asked.

At the end of the day it is a case of take it or leave it. That is not to say sellers can do whatever they want though you just have to accept that your influence on what the seller does is just a fraction of total influence the demand for something has on the seller. If more people believed the DLC was worth less than it is being sold at maybe the price would come down or maybe it would not be considered viable to make it at all in which case no one wins. Regardless, the general opinion must, by way of the observed price of the DLC, be that the DLC is considered worth more than anyone complaining about the price feels it is.
---
Playing: Borderlands 2 and Final Fantasy XI
#42IAmDJNinjaStar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 4:36:59 AM
JimiMorrison187 posted...
You should be able to report topics for "Wall o' Text"

I wish I could report people who comment on threads without reading them, lack 5th grade spelling habits, don't understand the difference between "your" and "you're", lack basic human courtesy, and those who troll without actually being funny. That just about cover it?
---
Hi, IAmDJNinjaStar.
#43LordRavielPosted 3/28/2013 4:40:29 AM(edited)
AlleRacing posted...
Also, maybe it's just me, but why do so many consumers feel they need to argue on a company's behalf? It's generally in a consumer's best interest to pay lower prices while the producer's interests are the opposite.

It is definitely true that all parties in any situation will end up trying to do the best for themselves. The problem I allways have in this sort of debate is people trying to villify companies when all they are doing is exactly what everyone else is trying to do, which is get the best deal for them. There is therefore a balancing point between the 2 sides based on the companies ability to set the price and customers ability to refuse to pay and in this case gearbox belive that balance is at $9.99 and $5. Some people believe that is wrong but it is the sales that will determine how right they were and I suspect they will have gauged the price pretty well overall.

The only other thing i would add about people looking out for their best interests is that the sucess and profitability of a company whose games you like is indirectly beneficial to the customers so fighting for the lowest price you can get is not entirely a win for the customers in the longer term.

In some sense I would say both sides of the DLC pricing argument have their benefits overall. Those who believe the DLC has the high value make the content more profitable and encourage future development, while those who value it less play some role in stopping prices being even higher and can benefit from those who do pay the higher prices when they pick up more content in bundles later.
---
Playing: Borderlands 2 and Final Fantasy XI
#44minsterXYZPosted 3/28/2013 6:12:53 AM
Also Im sure a lot of work went into making a new character and creating new guns. My cousin let me make a game with him when I was 5. He did all the programing stuff and I came up with the ideas. I saw first hand how much effort it takes to do even the smallest thing in a video game. The coding is ridiculous.
---
Gamertag xXGunx4xH1R3xXx
#45MGunzCPosted 3/28/2013 8:03:16 AM
...happy to give their money away for little to no content... ha ha

Take your $5 and buy some fast food, or a cup of coffee, or some munchies - all of which has little to no nutritional content, and a couple of hours later that 'content' will be coming out the other end; butt you don't see anyone complaining about that.