Why is this game called "Borderlands"?

#1SolnotPosted 3/28/2013 7:35:52 AM
Can someone explain the meaning and/or significance behind this game's name to a person who has never played the first one before?
#2devak108Posted 3/28/2013 7:41:40 AM
Oh I see, you're just going around to random boards and posting the exact same question, huh.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605052-bioshock-infinite/65811348
---
"You're entering a world of pain, son, we know this is your homework!"
#3VampLordAdamaruPosted 3/28/2013 7:43:07 AM(edited)
Solnot topic. He just did the same thing on the Bioshock Infinite board. Nothing to see here... Move along...

EDIT: Ninja'd...
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160; Misty is mine!
#4curtlandPosted 3/28/2013 7:48:36 AM
The game's creators are huge fans of Madonna. After a large, mojito fueled, drunken argument over which of her songs best encapsulates her early pop years, it was decided that song was "Borderline".

In honor of her and her hit song, they decided to name the game "Borderline", and that song was to be used as the game's theme.

However, when Madonna's legal team got wind of this, they were furious, and threatened to sue the pants off of Gearbox Software if they went through with it.

A dejected Gearbox Software team changed it to the closest title to their beloved song they could think of; "Borderlands".

...and the rest is history.

Or it may just refer to the dirty, out of the way, crudholes you spend most of the time fighting in in these games.

I dunno...
---
Only idoits can't spell.
#5devak108Posted 3/28/2013 7:51:36 AM
The game is sponsored by Taco Bell, as you can tell from all the Doritos Tacos billboards up all over Pandora.
---
"You're entering a world of pain, son, we know this is your homework!"
#6chris_cowellPosted 3/28/2013 7:57:07 AM
Its not called borderlands

its called borderlands 2
---
GamerTag: Gandora TDOD
Pokemon White 2 FC: 4127 3049 1251
#7minsterXYZPosted 3/28/2013 8:00:04 AM
I will answer seriously.

In the first game when you reach Pandora the narrator says "welcome to the borderlands" that pretty much the only name drop.
---
Gamertag xXGunx4xH1R3xXx
#8curtlandPosted 3/28/2013 8:01:45 AM
minsterXYZ posted...
I will answer seriously.

In the first game when you reach Pandora the narrator says "welcome to the borderlands" that pretty much the only name drop.

That's not an answer!

Face Off isn't called Face Off BECAUSE John Travolta SAYS the words FACE OFF!!!

>:O

Sorry... sorry... I'm feeling rage-y.
---
Only idoits can't spell.
#9minsterXYZPosted 3/28/2013 8:06:48 AM
curtland posted...
minsterXYZ posted...
I will answer seriously.

That's not an answer!

Face Off isn't called Face Off BECAUSE John Travolta SAYS the words FACE OFF!!!

>:O

Sorry... sorry... I'm feeling rage-y.

They weren't going to call it Pandora or Vault Hunting 101. They called it Borderlands b/c Pandora is called "The Borderlands" It is that simple. Not a lot goes into naming the game.
---
Gamertag xXGunx4xH1R3xXx
#10Jambi_ManPosted 3/28/2013 8:50:38 AM
Hunter Hellquist actually refers to it as the Border Worlds.
---
Vladof rules