Solo Siren; What not to do?

#1monster138Posted 4/14/2013 6:24:16 PM
So starting a solo Maya run through.
I've seen allot of great build ideas on the boards. (Thank you, all ya' Siren fanatics)

But what I was wondering (and hoping for a little insight)
is what NOT to take on the skill trees?

I plan on Cataclysm as main, then Motion, with couple points in Sweet Release early on.
I've heard Cloud Kill is useless. Any other thoughts on what should be avoided?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
---
If common sense existed, it would be a heck of a lot more common...
GT: IamMonster138
#2Azrael0206Posted 4/14/2013 6:28:11 PM
Ignore Flicker
Just dont even look at it
Pretend it isn't there
---
Assistant Manager at Foveroula and Acid's Pawn Shop
"Do you even Interfacer, Bro?" -Jkickit
#3PunchDucePosted 4/14/2013 6:29:58 PM
monster138 posted...
I've seen allot of great build ideas on the boards. (Thank you, all ya' Siren fanatics)

I plan on Cataclysm as main, then Motion, with couple points in Sweet Release early on.

Unless you play with others, don't worry about the middle tree (put one point on sweet release and get a legendary mod or slayer of terra)

Just put one point on cloud kill so you can reach ruin. (Put four points on flicker, even though it's also useless.

But yes, Motion and Cataclysm is the way to go for a Siren.
---
"No greater friend, no worse enemy" - Commando Man
FC(Wii): 437491446202
#4Wallcrawler8878Posted 4/14/2013 6:30:23 PM
monster138 posted...

You may as well take cloud kill. Any damage you can get will help, and its not like there are other better places in Cata to put those points.

Big ones are the mag size increase/reload speed, Helios, flicker, REAPER, and RUIN.

The rest of the points dont matter. Blight Phoenix is crap, as is Backdraft. I went with Immolate simply to get out of FFYL faster and to have it to help put down Voracidous' cheap ass.

Then I went with Ward, Suspension, Converge, Cooldown Boost, Sub-sequence, Thoughtlock, and the skill that lets you reload faster after a kill.

2 points after that in sweet release so that every time that thoughtlock bubble jumps, 2 orbs come to my aid. Usually have about 6-8 of those per thoughtlock sequence.
#5genesis42Posted 4/14/2013 6:33:39 PM
It's easier to note the skills that you should be getting with Maya in Cataclysm, rather than listing the skills that you shouldn't get.

Here are the only note worthy skills in Cataclysm: Foresight / Chain Reaction / Reaper / Ruin.
---
GT: SevenDeadIySin
#6monster138(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 6:53:41 PM
Man, that was fast.....
Lol
And.
Thanks, that definitely puts me on a better path.
I really appreciate the insights from all of ya'.....
---
If common sense existed, it would be a heck of a lot more common...
GT: IamMonster138
#7fredbeatswilmaPosted 4/14/2013 9:43:22 PM
If you want to pick cata you are going to have to take a garbage skill. Cata/motion maya is simple.
---
uh huh, herbal derbally berbil urbil
#8RajsBabysMamaPosted 4/14/2013 11:29:35 PM
It seems like to me, that several of the skills in the cataclysm just don't scale well. But, RUIN! So sexy. Reaper and Chain Reaction are really solid choices for five points as well, at least in my opinion.
#9LordRavielPosted 4/15/2013 12:41:04 AM
Top priority would be avoiding skills that deal direct damage based on your level of which there are a lot in Cataclysm. At higher levels their damage is pathetic Ruin is an exception because because it Slags enemies which is really helpful and almost essential in UVHM.

I generally spend a few points in Defensive skills and Converge in Motion. get to Wreck in the middle tree and try to pick up the useful skills on the way to Ruin in Cataclysm then spend what is left picking up useful skills in the first 2 trees.
---
Playing: Borderlands 2 and Final Fantasy XI
#10spfurm01Posted 4/15/2013 6:54:54 AM(edited)
EDIT: Reading comprehension fail.

There is one thing I will say though: Shield bonuses are very misleading in how they are calculated, so Ward is actually a pretty underwhelming skill for increasing capacity. The recharge delay bonus is solid though, especially for lower-capacity fast recharge shields (Bee, Sham, Neogen, etc)

If you've got a mod that gives +5 to kinetic reflection, I'd highly recommend putting 5 points into it along the way. IMO without the 10/5 it's just not worth it.
---
We know Gavorn's tricks! We leave!