Slag-licked and other patched glitches

#11EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 2:01:35 AM
Mostly curiosity, but partially to avoid having to trigger Evil Smasher to really stomp enemies.

Anyway, it occurs to me... the bug happens because the counters don't stop counting, and will eventually reach the magic 2.whatever billion number. But it's probably every counter for every challenge. People know about Slag-Licked, Gunslinger, and Heal Plz specifically because certain conditions make it more likely that those challenges will reach that threshold.

In other words... no one is going to kill 2 billion Nomads because you're getting them one at a time. But when you're doing thousands and thousands - or millions - of points of damage (yay Bee), any of the damage based challenges can hit the threshold. I can see why this was so important to fix -- with the raise of the level cap, weapons would be doing that much more damage... and with UVHM, slag becomes that much more critical... so it becomes a certainty that *everyone* would have run up against Slag-Licked sooner or later.

With that reasoning, Say "Watt" Again, Corroderate, and Gun Slinger would also be fairly easy to hit, and wouldn't give obnoxious skin spam. Gun Slinger would probably be the best to deliberately trigger, since you have the most control over creating the condition for it (that is, you could stop using shock weapons but still trigger the glitch via shock barrels... but no one's forcing you to use Tediore weapons).

With cash duping, For the Hoard! would be the easiest to trigger... but that gives a skin... and further, if you were to trigger the glitch that way... I wonder if you'd ever be able to buy anything again...? That would be kind of lame. Also wonder how the game would handle you having -1 cash when going to respawn you...
#12tony8669Posted 4/24/2013 10:54:14 AM
EarlJenson posted...
Gun Slinger would probably be the best to deliberately trigger, since you have the most control over creating the condition for it (that is, you could stop using shock weapons but still trigger the glitch via shock barrels... but no one's forcing you to use Tediore weapons).

Plus, with the crazy amounts of damage it takes to kill stuff in TVH and especially UVH, it's wise to get this out of the way while playing normal mode. Otherwise you can always go back into normal mode when you're 50+ and get it, if you don't mind the grind (that's what I have to do with getting grenade kills, since typically I hardly use them).
#13EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 11:30:42 PM
tony8669 posted...
EarlJenson posted...
Gun Slinger would probably be the best to deliberately trigger, since you have the most control over creating the condition for it (that is, you could stop using shock weapons but still trigger the glitch via shock barrels... but no one's forcing you to use Tediore weapons).

Plus, with the crazy amounts of damage it takes to kill stuff in TVH and especially UVH, it's wise to get this out of the way while playing normal mode.

Actually, I'm trying to trigger the bug in TVHM with Gun Slinger. I can one-shot most enemies with a reload, so the difficulty doesn't matter much.

I'm doing it at the Hyperion Truth Network to see if I can get a better Bee (was using a level 49 and upgraded to a much better 50 doing this)... and between Hunter and the landing loaders, all of the enemies are stationary (at least, they don't usually live long enough to move) and so make very easy targets. XP Loaders I usually only do 231K damage to, but others look like they're taking anywhere from 1-4 million. Haven't hit the magic number yet, but at that rate it shouldn't take too much longer.
#14grunjmufnPosted 4/25/2013 11:49:00 PM
I'm intrigued by your theory and totally dig the original research. Looking forward to your results.
#15EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 8:45:45 PM
Thanks.

I did finally get there today, and hit some noteworthy benchmarks:
At around 500,000 BAR, your stats are ~33%
At around 1 million, stats are ~43.5%
To get to 50% across the board, you need about 1.38 million BAR.

But I have to say, doing this with Gun Slinger is feeling pretty tedious. My method right now is to go to PT1 Opportunity, and use a Tediore pistol I bought from a Southern Shelf vendor - remember, once the bug is in effect, you just need to do damage. So if you do minimal damage, you can spam toss your target longer. I'm in opportunity for the Constructors, since a stationary target is easier to hit... and because there are plenty of ammo vendors handy - obviously, I need to restock often.

The target dummy in Marcus's back room in Sanctuary would have been ideal... but you don't get credit for damage done to it (it still counts toward ignitions for Cowering Inferno, though).

I'm also finding that the bug occasionally needs to be "retriggered". That is, tosses with the wussy single-digit level gun stop triggering the challenge. If I then switch to my level 50 Tediore shotgun, or put the Bee back on - eg do massive damage and/or kill an enemy - I can then go back to using the low-level gun without the Bee. These times it needs retriggering only happen very infrequently, and only after I've switched a shield or bought ammo or something like that (that is, it never stops working from one toss to the next). I have no idea why this happens.

I was thinking that two-player duels would be an easier way to do it... but I've found that chucking the crap gun *never* triggers the bug in that instance. The level 50 shotgun still does, but switching back to the crap gun *still* fails to trigger it. But the point is to do minimal damage so one doesn't have to keep entering a duel, so using the high level gun defeats the purpose.

So anyway, for straight-up BAR farming with the challenge glitch... it's probably more practical in the "not as tedious" sense to go for Say "Watt" Again or Corroderate. Bee + Evil Smasher would obviously help get there faster. I'm not sure if the game counts any damage done above and beyond an enemy's normal HP, so Warrior, Bunker, or Terra would be good targets. If it allows overkill, then the Vault's respawning Rakk would be pretty ideal targets. You could even resupply your ammo for free. Although Bee + Evil Smasher + appropriately elemental Infinity would further reduce the process to
1) Hold trigger
2) Wait

Although that set-up would raise the question... is BAR itself subject to the 2 billion limit? And if it is... what happens when that limit is reached?
#16EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 8:29:06 PM
Eh. On testing, it looks like fire/corrode/electrocute damage only counts after the target has been ignited/corroded/electrocuted (that is, it's the DoT that's counted)... so killing enemies outright with the properly elemental gun is a no-go. Which makes Gun Slinger the only easy no-skin way to trigger the bug. Oh well.

Some more benchmarks:
2 million = 58.5%
2.5 million = 64%
3 million = 69%

Right now, I'm shooting for 500%, which I have no idea the BAR required.
The idea is that if there is an eventual GotY edition, I'll probably get it. But that will patch the bugs I'm abusing, which will pretty much take the raid bosses off the table (crap interent connection = must solo everything). Hence the BAR inflation.
#17EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 8:13:56 PM
Further benchmarks:
3.5 m = 73.5%
3.67 m = 75.1%
4 m = 78%
4.5 m = 81.8%
5 m = 85.4%

Also, I think I see why the bug sometimes doesn't trigger - you don't get damage credit for taking a chunk out of an enemy's shields, just for damaging the enemy itself. The higher level gun worked because it's powerful enough to kill pretty much everything outright, so it goes through both shield and HP. I assume this is the case even before triggering the bug... which is good to know.
#18EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 8:42:06 PM
More benchmarks:
5.5 m = 88.9%
6 m = 92.1%
6.5 m = 95.3%
7 m = 98.4%
7.29 m = 100%
7.5 m = 101.1%

And some other details:
1) The Jack statues in Opportunity can take damage if hit, but you don't get credit for it.
2) If it wasn't obvious already - and I didn't mention it - the bug also contributes to the completion of "Yo Dawg" each time it is triggered.
3) "Elemental Effect Chance" and "Elemental Effect Damage" are both so long that when their stat hits 100%, the percentage drops to the next line. This means that when the first one hits 100%, you will no longer be able to see "Critical Hit Damage" or it's percentage anymore, and when the second one does, you will no longer be able to see the percentage for "Elemental Effect Damage".

What I mean is that when everything is 100%, it'll look like:
Recoil Reduction 100%
Reload Speed 100%
Elemental Effect Chance
100%
Elemental Effect Damage

And just cuts off there (I don't remember offhand what comes before the elementals, so recoil and reload are probably wrong, but you get the idea). Since that part of the menu could easily be widened to accommodate that number of characters, it's clear Gearbox never thought people would be able to come anywhere near 7.29 million BAR. Even with the bug, it's been kind of a pain.

Also, +100% to everything is pretty awesome.
I have to turn off the bonuses now, or in running down the ammo gun slinging for a level 2 pistol, a level 3 shotgun, and a level 7 SMG... I'd easily be able to kill a level 24 Constructor. I'm doing this with a Commando. In hindsight, it would've been a much better idea to do it with a Gunzerker - ammo regen would be a *godsend*. Not in cost, just running around to machines gets old fast.
#19EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 10:58:11 PM
Just to compare, I also triggered the bug with the Slag-licked challenge.

I was hoping it'd allow faster BAR growth than Gun Slinger, and it does... but not fast enough to justify all the extra time you spend getting the spam skins out of your inventory. That stuff builds up quick, especially when using Axton's slag turret.

Too bad Corroderate and Watt use DoT as their measure. It's just not very practical to get to 2 billion in increments of ~5000. It took long enough to get there at Gun Slinger's 1-5 million per shot pace, or Slag-licked's 500-800K (Slag CC + Bee). But I guess the higher the BAR gets, the more practical it becomes (assuming Elemental Effect Damage applies to DoT as well)...
#20EarlJenson(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 11:13:22 PM
I'm up to 15.5 million BAR, and it's gotten down to +0.1% per token.
With the rank needed to get a token now, that means I'm getting less than +2% per half million.

So I've started going for Corroderate.
With a pretty good Maliwan pistol - ~37% elemental effect chance / ~4.3K per sec - and +137% across the board from BAR, and a +24% corrosive damage relic...
I'm still only doing ~7K on the DoT to the Bunker, although sometimes, for whatever reason, the damage is occasionally doubled. It also sometimes seems like he's bleeding numbers twice as fast. If I'm very lucky, sometimes it's both.

But to hit 2 billion, I'd need to see that 7K 286000 times.
If I'm getting it 1000 times per fight, that's actually not so bad.
But that's just an arbitrary number, so who knows...

I was hoping for a Sham when I was doing this with slag, but I triggered the bug with Slag-licked before that happened... Maybe I'll trigger it with Corroderate before I see one, too. For comparison there, when I triggered the bug with Gun Slinger while farming Hellquist I scored about a dozen Bees.