2.93% (10 votes)
Krieg should be free, anyway
15.54% (53 votes)
Don't care what they've done, I just want Krieg
19.94% (68 votes)
Don't care about/won't buy Krieg
10.85% (37 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So, for most of us we already know about this story but for the few that don't, i'll elaborate on the thread title. With the most recent compatibility pack for consoles, PS3 users have found a way to 'hack' in a sense, their game, and gain access to the 'Krieg' character, due for release some time in the next few weeks. Now, by terms and conditions, and the law in general, this is stealing. Gearbox have spent time and money developing this piece of software, and now many are using it without permission. So, i'm curious to gauge the feelings of people on this board about the topic in question.

How do you feel? Annoyed that hackers or PS3 users are playing Krieg early? Pleased that an early release of Krieg might be possible? Either because of the early inclusion of his data in the compatibility pack, or as a result of the hacking issue as Gearbox may want to bring the character out early for other platforms.

Would be really interested to see what people think of this, so i've included a poll. You can vote for whatever you feel most strongly about, but obviously just vote for anything you fall into. If the poll doesn't cover your general leanings, by all means also post anything extra here.

Personally, i'm annoyed that people are playing him early, but mildly frustrated at Gearbox as well, as it is their responsibility, at least in part, and I feel like this has been slightly fluffed. Equally, stealing from Gearbox, I entirely disagree with, it takes them a lot of man hours to get something like this to the finished stage, and they should be paid for their work. They, after all, spend their work day, bringing us new things to play.

What are your thoughts?

TL;DR? This topic isn't for you, bub.
---
GamerTag: TheKiriyama
Currently Playing: Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls, Red Dead Redemption
#2SinisterBladePosted 4/21/2013 5:12:03 PM
Idc what they've done, or believe they should be perma-banned for doing that. Honestly because it is possible in the first place, GBX is partially at fault. They gotta own up to it. Reprisal is fine, maybe a suspension, but bans would be GBX being childish, imo.

I just want to play Krieg, this issue doesn't need a political tag attached to it; its not that big of a deal.
---
What is a man?!
A miserable little pile of secrets!
#3PanopictonguyPosted 4/21/2013 5:33:04 PM
They should be banned for being stupid enough to play with him online. The fact they are showing it off to random people who probably had no idea about gibbed could own a whole new can of worms.

Gearbox put a safeguard to prevent this with the patch that came with the comp pack. The issue is that software safeguards are not compatible with our console operating systems.

I can see if the modders were just playing around with him in private and data mining. They're not doing that they running rampant showing off and telling everyone how easy it is to do while teaching more and more people how to do it.

If you can get paid content FREE with no consequences why wouldn't you? Especially the borderlands fb a lot of people want things free and easy. If there is no consequences attached they're going to take the easiet cheapest route.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#42Love4LifePosted 4/21/2013 5:44:11 PM
If its as simple as I think it is ( Not going to Try It ), you just need to change 1 or 2 lines of code. But Perma-Bans won't happen ( Msoft / Sony ) will lose money.
---
Video Game Challenges:
Treat Everyday as your last because tomorrow may never come.
#5Phara0hManPosted 4/21/2013 5:44:25 PM
They should be punished because, no matter how anyone tries to justify their actions, they're stealing. Period. Theft is never okay or justified, and I'm fully supportive of them being punished to the full extent of the law, much less a simple ban.

Gearbox gave a release date for their product, and a price. No matter how they choose to deliver that product, you are not "entitled" to it. You have not paid because they have not made payment available. It's theft. Theft is illegal. There's no grey area.
---
NP: Borderlands 2 (Lv. 61 Siren), Injustice (Sinestro, Bane, Green Arrow, Flash).
#6gunsndrosesPosted 4/21/2013 5:45:52 PM
Who cares?
---
Halo 4 was the best Call of Duty.
#7SinisterBladePosted 4/21/2013 5:50:28 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
They should be banned for being stupid enough to play with him online. The fact they are showing it off to random people who probably had no idea about gibbed could own a whole new can of worms.

Gearbox put a safeguard to prevent this with the patch that came with the comp pack. The issue is that software safeguards are not compatible with our console operating systems.

I can see if the modders were just playing around with him in private and data mining. They're not doing that they running rampant showing off and telling everyone how easy it is to do while teaching more and more people how to do it.

If you can get paid content FREE with no consequences why wouldn't you? Especially the borderlands fb a lot of people want things free and easy. If there is no consequences attached they're going to take the easiet cheapest route.

Agree, especially the bold. If people are going into pub games, and spreading info on how to essentially unlock him permanently at no cost.. it becomes a problem. A big one.
---
What is a man?!
#8MonoxideHektikPosted 4/21/2013 5:58:59 PM
SinisterBlade posted...
Idc what they've done, or believe they should be perma-banned for doing that. Honestly because it is possible in the first place, GBX is partially at fault. They gotta own up to it. Reprisal is fine, maybe a suspension, but bans would be GBX being childish, imo.

I just want to play Krieg, this issue doesn't need a political tag attached to it; its not that big of a deal.

But the bank had the vault open for Just a minute, it's partially their fault
---
How is making money be illegal. - JDM_Jev
I am topic killer. GT: Chrizwald---MW3, Rock Band 3
#9SinisterBladePosted 4/21/2013 6:16:24 PM
MonoxideHektik posted...
SinisterBlade posted...

But the bank had the vault open for Just a minute, it's partially their fault

Oh please.

GBX should have been smart enough to not add every asset tagged to him in the code, while he is not released. Its 2013, they should have known without fail this would occur. Should they be punished, yes. GBX though cannot act like they are 100 shocked by this either though. He shouldn't have been added in his 100% playable form, that was just stupid of GBX. Not saying the haxx0rs are right, because.. no.

Saying GBX needs to be more careful with this stuff, because unfortunately, this is the world we live in.
---
What is a man?!
#10PanopictonguyPosted 4/21/2013 6:30:17 PM
SinisterBlade posted...
Panopictonguy posted...

Agree, especially the bold. If people are going into pub games, and spreading info on how to essentially unlock him permanently at no cost.. it becomes a problem. A big one.

One of the videos I watched the guy was either in a public game or had his game open. As people came in you'd hear "Oh wow I didn't know he was out yet." Over and over. Then somebody in the room said he's not he did something to unlock him.

Then on his screen you can see the guy go into his messages and send the kid a message vaguely explaining to him what software to use and the steps to get him.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.