to nerf or not to nerf

#31WretchedOwlPosted 5/1/2013 6:46:35 AM
Phara0hMan posted...
As a side idea, if they really want to cut down on exploits and duping and things like that, would it be a terrible idea to make the nigh-useless endgame currencies useful and charge to re-roll a piece of gear to your current level?

They already upped the Eridium wallet to 500. So what say that, for the full amount of 500 Eridium, Marcus will upgrade one piece of gear to match your level. You keep the guns you really like, and once you out level them instead of grinding one or two enemies for countless hours hoping and praying for a leveled drop with the same parts, you can essentially farm whatever you want or even play naturally to acquire rid-rock and upgrade, keeping your favored prefixes and parts.

Boss farming would still exist if you want variants, and if they feel certain areas are under explored, they can use SHIFT! Send a message on the ticker that says "Eridium veins have erupted in (insert area). Go get it!", and they can drastically up the drop rate on it there for a few days to promote playing there.

I like this idea as well... but I could guess that most people would reroll PT1 and just farm Pete for days until they got stuff they wanted. Upgrade, drop to friend, dashboard, rinse and repeat.
---
Some doors are best left closed, because once open, they're easy to walk through again and again.
-- GT: Wretched Owls
#32Phara0hManPosted 5/1/2013 6:52:41 AM
You'll never eliminate dupers/modders/exploiters. My idea simply facilitates those that want to play legit instead of punishing them for other people running exploits.

As for the PT1 case, I don't think that anyone would get too mad if, after a character reaches a certain level, they made it so Eridium no longer dropped in PT1. Lets say 40 or so?
---
NP: Borderlands 2 (Lv. 61 Siren), Injustice (Sinestro, Catwoman, Aquaman, Batman).
#33booyakasha128Posted 5/1/2013 7:00:30 AM
Voted the third option because there is *some* balance that's needed for variety's sake, although I think the endgame gear is fine the way it is. Either way it's definitely something to address later, bug fixes should be their top priority.
---
My name is Booya, and tacos rule (b^_^)b
http://www.last.fm/user/booyakasha128
#34terabientPosted 5/1/2013 7:47:06 AM
Kpt_Kapowski posted...
terabient posted...
I voted for the first option because fun is for losers >:(

nah but I do think the whole "stop nerfing, start bugfixing" argument is....kinda pointless. Like, the idea that nerfing unintended weapon/shield combos comes that expense of fixing major issues and bugs isn't true. Bug fixing is a pretty haphazard process; it's not as simple as listing all bugs and fixing them in an orderly manner. In games it's pretty common to see minor glitches and balance changes addressed more often than major bugs because the little things are way easier to fix.

I'd love to see the loot-sinking-through-the-floor bug fixed, and if I had to pick between fixing that or nerfing Beehawk/Shamfleet I'd pick the loot bug every time. But in reality that choice doesn't exist.

I think the whole "nerfing unintended combos" argument is kinda pointless. Its in the game, people are gonna try it. Do you really think that its too much to realize that people will find what works?

By your logic, the player should be limited to no skill points/no equipped gear builds because all the unintended combos enable you to kill people.

Hmmm, in that light I suppose you're right. Obviously one of the draws BL2 is discovering unexpected combinations and builds, and 'this combination of skills/gear is unintentional' should not be used as the sole criteria of determining whether or not something should be changed.

That said, GBX has already set a precedent as far as changing unintentionally powerful combos. The pre-patch CC/Bee was perfectly legitimate in the sense that it was in the game and not taking advantage of any glitches, and it was changed because GBX had not intended for the Bee to apply amp damage in the way it ultimately did. The Bee/Sandhawk combo works in exactly the same way, so it's not that much of a stretch to assume it will get nerfed as well. The Sham/Norfleet is less clear--it's a powerful combination, but that isn't (and shouldn't) be the only factor considered when deciding what to do about it; absorbing/replenishing rocket launcher ammo may or may not be intentional. My personal preference would be to see the replenishing rocket launcher ammo feature removed, because as it exists right now I feel like Shamfleet devalues character builds because unlimited Norfleet usage and near invincibility to bullets is good regardless of what character you're using. But that might not matter to GBX, and if it stays untouched I'm not going to ragequit the game in disgust or anything.
---
What everyone needs to do is calm down, take a deep breath, and prepare their bodies for the Thunderdome.
GT: janejana
#35x3kingsheat136xPosted 5/1/2013 8:13:11 AM
the Bar resetting needs to be addressed because its happened to me a few times
---
Gt same as username
Now playing: Borderlands 2: Zero- 61 Axton- 61 Salvador- 50 Maya- 22 Gaige- 61
#36WretchedOwlPosted 5/1/2013 8:22:16 AM
x3kingsheat136x posted...
the Bar resetting needs to be addressed because its happened to me a few times

Yeah they've apparently been working on it since launch and still have no idea whats causing it. They've taken precautions to try and combat it, and they keep logs of everyones BARs so you can at least get your rank back via Gearbox support request, but there's absolutely nothing they can do about lost heads/skins.

So as far as that, they have no clue. Might as well ignore it and lower the drop rates, we know how to do that!
---
Some doors are best left closed, because once open, they're easy to walk through again and again.
-- GT: Wretched Owls
#37Kpt_Kapowski(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 8:26:10 AM
shnangyboos posted...
Is this bizarro world?

is this directed at me?
---
Borderlands 2 non farmed/exploited/modded BAR: 85633
#38CaptainWolfPosted 5/1/2013 8:35:27 AM
Well, that escalated quickly.
---
Let's fly to the castle!
Xbox LIVE: Hellwolf8400 | PSN: hellwolf84
#39DemonicChaosXXPosted 5/1/2013 8:41:43 AM
BS poll, all the choices are negative no matter what. Stop making polls.
---
It's a point and click adventure where the only action is "use gun" on "man". - vidgameking84
#40Kpt_Kapowski(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 8:45:32 AM
DemonicChaosXX posted...
BS poll, all the choices are negative no matter what. Stop making polls.

stop telling me how to post.
---
Borderlands 2 non farmed/exploited/modded BAR: 85633