is modding ok?

#31EX_KoakumaPosted 5/8/2013 2:26:41 PM
Tsuruke posted...
EX_Koakuma posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Ah, assumptions -- I love them.
Being a legitimate gamer myself, I have to say your assumption is invalid -- please try again but in a less accusatory manner..

The hell's a 'legitimate' gamer?
I wasn't aware there were rules.

Really? You need a definition for something self-explanatory? Ok, fair enough, I won't judge.

One that plays the game without using any glitches, cheats, exploits, etc.. (in a legitimate manner) for whatever reason.

Honestly, the term 'legitimate' just struck me as arrogant. Like, "Hey I don't mod so I'M A REAL GAMER and you're not!", which was I thought you were implying. So, sorry about that.

Now, playing a game the way it was intended is something I can respect, but I want to add, it's not the only way to do it. That can get stale rather quickly. Mods, hacks, bugs, glitches, exploits, etc... They can all be fun as hell. They're not all evil like some people seem to think.
---
http://puu.sh/2MzYG.png
#32TsurukePosted 5/8/2013 2:37:31 PM(edited)
EX_Koakuma posted...
Honestly, the term 'legitimate' just struck me as arrogant. Like, "Hey I don't mod so I'M A REAL GAMER and you're not!", which was I thought you were implying. So, sorry about that.
Now, playing a game the way it was intended is something I can respect, but I want to add, it's not the only way to do it. That can get stale rather quickly. Mods, hacks, bugs, glitches, exploits, etc... They can all be fun as hell. They're not all evil like some people seem to think.

No no, its understandable. I personally classify those types as elitists (then again I've came across elitists that aren't arrogant either, so its hard to say) but everyone has their own definition of "legitimate gamer" based from under that generalized definition.
I can respect how one decides to play their game the way they want too and I have nothing against the ones that do so.
Just the ones that jump into my room after I kindly request/advise that this is a legitimate room, continue to partake in illegitimate actions, get booted and send me a nasty-gram lol. Those I just classify as scum. Otherwise there are ones that understand, respect my wishes and either don't or just kindly leave. But I agree where it can be fun, just watching a video with people fighting 2 or 3 petes looked like fun -- by all means which is not legitimate but still looked like fun and was hilarious to me.

Its understandable on both sides of the table.
#33M4T7Posted 5/8/2013 3:20:23 PM
I'm fine if a player can moderate their modding, meaning they can give themselves items and whatnot, but don't take it too far and make your character invincible or something, especially if you're playing with other people.
---
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
-Murphy's Law
#34drake_skullPosted 5/8/2013 3:26:35 PM
Its against the MS tou so no its not ok, it can get you banned from XBL if you got reported for it.
---
"If your going to ask someone to save the world, make sure they like it the way it is"
http://www.youtube.com/user/Drakeskull23
#35mfv12979Posted 5/8/2013 3:33:10 PM
Most of the heads, skins and legendary gears i got are from modders. People who make themselves into a god are the type of modders i don't like. I'm fine wit it if you do it solo but please don't do it in co-op.
---
copy ninja Kakashi has copied a thousand jutsu and i'm going to use them to their fullest Extent! - Kakashi Sensei Ep 266
#36JTC87Posted 5/8/2013 4:38:22 PM
My question is, what is the fun in it? Having max everything makes the game super easy, doesn't sound fun or challenging at all. I don't care if someone does it, what I hate is when they do it then brag to others about there gear like they actually earned it. It just seems lazy.
#37Ramner84Posted 5/8/2013 7:55:55 PM
Is any modders here willing to give me a super powerful gun to just mess around with on one of my lvl 50s?
#38KLOUDrocksPosted 5/9/2013 12:11:33 AM
I voted "yes, but only in their own game or in someone who says its oks game." If people want to mod their own games, then whatever...But there's no reason for them to be coming into other people's games and using those items without everyone else's consent. This is why modding in games like Skyrim is considered fine, but wall-hacking and other modifications in FPS-games are frowned upon. Anything giving you an unfair advantage that causes others in the game to enjoy the game less should not exist.

With that said, I'll never mod, but I understand the allure of it for those that do.
#39MrSpaM111Posted 5/9/2013 3:25:55 AM
SolidStryder posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...
The question should really be 'Do you want to ruin the game for yourself?, and gloat to your friends you got items legit when you actually cheated to get them'

Yes or No

Who brags about random drops in a co-op video game lol

Then why are people asking for dupes then? oh yeh it's so they can brag about it, there actually is no other reason, otherwise people would just be content with the weapons they had and wouldn't be begging people for them. It's not like they need these guns to finish the game is it?

If you can give me a single other valid reason for people begging for dupes I'd be glad to hear it
#40The_KiriyamaPosted 5/9/2013 3:41:01 AM
I'm sorry, but if you mod in the sense to say, make yourself invincible, create incredibly powerful, game-breaking weapons, and so on. You are not gaming. I used to enable god-mode and no-clip when I was a kid playing Doom. I wasn't a gamer, I was just a kid playing a game, who didn't like the challenge, I just liked the experience. Part and parcel of being a gamer, is the challenge. Whether Easy or Extreme is your challenge, doesn't matter. But if you're running around a game designed with a challenge in mind, and you supersede that by use of effectively, 'cheats', then no, as far as i'm concerned, you're not gaming, and so you are not a gamer. At least not while you are doing that.

As for modding in general, I agree with the majority. If you want to do such things in your own game, or in a game that you have been given permission to do so, then yeah obviously what you do in your own 'world' is no business of mine. But if you start to affect others, that is where I have an issue. As for general modding I don't have an issue with it.

But for me, there is a definite distinction between that sort of 'extreme' modding, and being a regular gamer. You wouldn't play a game of Monopoly with three other players, then pick up a grand's worth of money and say you came into that money because of something you did outside of the game's rules. You would be called a cheater, and nobody would play with you. I think in the same ilk, you cannot use weapons, items, characters, etc. that have been modded to the point that exceeds the game's limitations, and still call yourself a gamer. You are not. That's all I have to say about this.
---
GamerTag: TheKiriyama
Currently Playing: Defiance (UK), Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls