How exactly does the Siren's Ward skill work?

#1TrialZero654Posted 6/27/2013 7:47:42 PM
i have a Hoplite shield with 618,553 capacity... Ward increases shield capacity by 50%, combined with my 10% shield capacity BAR bonus, for a total of +60% shields, i should have around 989k shield capacity

yet my shield capacity with the Hoplite equipped is only at 789,465, which is only about a 36% increase... what's the deal?
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#2codehunter87Posted 6/27/2013 7:51:10 PM
The bonuses aren't added up for a total percent to boost by, they're applied one at a time.
---
GT Forte Baroque
#3BigRobb2389Posted 6/27/2013 7:57:26 PM
If i remember right, there is something weird in the math or something up with shield capacity.

All shields over a certain capacity get the same boost, or only x% of that capacity.

Atleast I think this is how I remember reading how it worked.

to be honest though, the shield capacity increase is just a bonus, imo, the real power of ward lies in the shield recharge delay reduction.
#4gamezrochardPosted 6/27/2013 8:11:35 PM
I heard Hoplite was glitched with Capacity boosting skills. It has an original capacity that gets boosted, but doesn't count a large amount of the shield, because the shield is from a red text ability. So you're not getting ALL of the Hoplite to count.

Thats what I heard though, don't quote me. Try some other shields, see if it's just ac inaccurate.
---
Quoting the Topic Creator's original post is stupid and redundant.
I'm here for intelligent arguments or flaming. It's your job to decipher which.
#5TrialZero654(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 8:12:05 PM
codehunter87 posted...
The bonuses aren't added up for a total percent to boost by, they're applied one at a time.

if you mean Ward and the BAR bonus are calculated separately, that makes sense, however that should still give me a capacity over 900k, somewhere around 927k

BigRobb2389 posted...
If i remember right, there is something weird in the math or something up with shield capacity.

All shields over a certain capacity get the same boost, or only x% of that capacity.

Atleast I think this is how I remember reading how it worked.

to be honest though, the shield capacity increase is just a bonus, imo, the real power of ward lies in the shield recharge delay reduction.

i agree, the recharge delay is the main reason i took Ward, it's just that there's an obvious discrepancy between the skill description and what it's actually doing, it doesn't say "Up to Shield Capacity +50%", it just flat out says +50% so naturally i assumed it would be.... +50%

i get that they would limit it though, to avoid making certain shields overpowered. Seems odd though, as even at level 61, there was no shields in the base game that had anywhere near the capacity of the Hoplite, the highest possible was probably some purple pangolin shield with maybe ~280k
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
#6Jambi_ManPosted 6/27/2013 8:19:47 PM
Did you equip the legendary com after applying the 5/5 points there? Sometimes if you switch the com with points applied already, it bugs & won't apply the com bonus skills in places.

If so, try a re-spec after equipping the com.
---
Tool
Spiral Out...
#7Jambi_ManPosted 6/27/2013 8:24:44 PM
Jambi_Man posted...
Did you equip the legendary com after applying the 5/5 points there? Sometimes if you switch the com with points applied already, it bugs & won't apply the com bonus skills in places.

Just did the math, and that's what's happening. You're getting boosted for 5/5 in Ward, which grants 25% cap. Do as I instructed.
---
Tool
Spiral Out...
#8TrialZero654(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 8:26:49 PM
gamezrochard posted...
I heard Hoplite was glitched with Capacity boosting skills. It has an original capacity that gets boosted, but doesn't count a large amount of the shield, because the shield is from a red text ability. So you're not getting ALL of the Hoplite to count.

Thats what I heard though, don't quote me. Try some other shields, see if it's just ac inaccurate.

it's not just the Hoplite, though, i just looked at my Antagonist shield, which has a base capacity of 213,561, when equipped it's capacity is 279,353 with my bonuses, which is only about a 30% increase

however, i have 2 Evolution shields with the following:

Evolution 1
Base capacity: 98,798; + bonuses = 157,540, which is correct at around a 59% increase

Evolution 2
Base capacity: 160,447; + bonuses = 226,239, which is only about a 41% increase

oddly enough, both of those Evolutions are receiving the exact same bonus (65,792), even though one has almost double the base capacity of the other

maybe 65,792 is the maximum possible shield capacity bonus? in which case it would seem the case for not spending BAR tokens on Shield Capacity is even stronger
---
#9TrialZero654(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 8:28:24 PM
Jambi_Man posted...
Jambi_Man posted...

Just did the math, and that's what's happening. You're getting boosted for 5/5 in Ward, which grants 25% cap. Do as I instructed.

i just did as you instructed and nothing changed, shield capacity remained the same listed values for all of my shields
---
#10TrialZero654(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 8:33:35 PM
also, Jambi, i am getting a bonus for equipping the legendary com, however the difference is only about 26k, which is definitely not an additional 25%
---