Do I need to have played Borderlands 1 to follow the story?

#1DougEInstructorPosted 7/2/2013 12:58:27 AM
This game is on sale for 9.99 I was thinking about getting it but do I need to have played Borderlands 1?
#2TooFaced21Posted 7/2/2013 1:12:51 AM
I just bought this game a few days ago (at a much higher price than 9.99, you lucky duck), and a quick perusal of the borderlands wiki can catch you up on the story in less than five minutes. I haven't touched the first one and I personally don't feel like I'm missing out on anything major. There are references thrown in, but it's nothing that what the aforementioned advice won't fix.
#3RogsR34UKPosted 7/2/2013 1:13:04 AM
I would say not, as the game can be taken as stand alone.

Playing the first game will just introduce you to some of the NPC's in the second game, but is hardly a prerequisite.
---
PSN & Gamertag - RogsR34UK
#4megaman91985Posted 7/2/2013 1:13:56 AM
I didn't play the first one and I love this one.
---
Amy Anderson/Ami Mizuno lover! ^_^
Check profile for FCs.
#5MillkdudzPosted 7/2/2013 1:14:29 AM
Here's the story for bl1. 4 vault hunters look for a vault, they find it. Knowing the characters makes you feel a little more invested, and bl1 is a great game that is worth playing, but story is not its strong suit. Certain parts may make a little more sense if you've played the first, but you are getting a game that is worth 10 times what they are selling it for right now. Just be prepared to fork over more cash later because you will be hooked after about 7 or 8 levels and you'll want the season pass. Gearbox be smart yo!
#6DougEInstructor(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 1:16:36 AM
TooFaced21 posted...
I just bought this game a few days ago (at a much higher price than 9.99, you lucky duck), and a quick perusal of the borderlands wiki can catch you up on the story in less than five minutes. I haven't touched the first one and I personally don't feel like I'm missing out on anything major. There are references thrown in, but it's nothing that what the aforementioned advice won't fix.

Alright thanks for the response. I'm a major cheapskate so I always wait until stuffs on sale. In case anyone is interested there happens to be a huge sale for games on demand going on right now you can check which games are on sale here:

http://majornelson.com/2013/07/01/xbox-live-ultimate-game-sale-starts-today-2/
#7GamingmasterPosted 7/2/2013 1:46:50 AM
nope.
#8DuneManPosted 7/2/2013 8:20:21 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9phillyALLDAYPosted 7/2/2013 9:54:45 AM
^That's also story spoilers for BL2.
---
"I'm all for laughing at death, but only when he can't hear or see me doing it."
#10DuneManPosted 7/2/2013 9:58:40 AM
Fine, here's a new response:

No.

Happy now?
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao