Novice question....

#1OverburdenedPosted 7/9/2013 3:36:46 AM
I've just started playing, amazing game by the way. Only just got claptraps eye back.

I'm just wondering do I need to be picking everything up? I'm coming across yellow boxes that open up, are these ammo crates, do I need to pick it all up, and does my inventory get full after a while.
---
Obliteration never felt so divine._
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
#2krakos000Posted 7/9/2013 3:51:38 AM
You can pick weapons/shields/relics etc. up and sell them if you don't want or need them. ammo and money don't take up space in your inventory, so it's to fine to pick up all of that :)
#3Raziel689Posted 7/9/2013 3:52:35 AM
Yeah, I say open everything and pick up what you can. You never know what you'll find inside of a crate. Occasionally, an enemy type called a Loot Midget might spawn out of a crate and they drop powerful gear. There are players who have found Legendary gear inside of boxes. Whatever you do not need, just sell at your nearest vending stand. You'll make so much money you'll never have problems buying ammo or the next decent shield.
#4Overburdened(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 4:00:46 AM
Ok, brilliant, thanks very much :). I can see how it works now, I just picked up a gun and tried to equip it, but it said I need to be level three to use it, I'm now level three, I can sell my less powerful pistol now can't I, free up space and I'm not using it.

Later on in the game do you find attachments etc for your guns, or do you buy them?
---
#5Raziel689Posted 7/9/2013 4:13:53 AM
You do not buy or find attachments for weapons, however guns do spawn with various modifications on them. It is randomization of what mods and attachments a weapon does even up having.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Gun_Component_Charts

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Manufacturers

I frequent that wiki daily for information.
#6Gun SagePosted 7/9/2013 4:15:54 AM
You farm them, per se. You can't ever pick what attachment is on your gun, this is a loot driven game in it's entirety. While I will agree with your immediate thought, it would be nice to be able to swap out scopes for whatever one you want for a price, it's just not a thing for borderlands.

And what I mean by farming accessories is you can find one with a vertical grip that may have drastically reduced recoil, and you may find one with a scope you want. The trick is to find one with both. Those "perfect" guns are what pretty much everyone wants, but with scopes they can vary pretty wildly.
---
#7Overburdened(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 4:32:20 AM
Ah i see, makes sense, keeps you on your toes, always making you want to find something better. Nice touch.

Where do you come across these weapons?, enemies dropping them, finding them in crates etc?
---
#8Gun SagePosted 7/9/2013 4:36:37 AM
Quite literally anything can drop anywhere, with the exception of quest reward uniques such as the flame of the firehawk, evil smasher, law, order, etc etc (Blue, has red text, given as a quest reward, sometimes orange in the case of the firehawk)

So you could find the shotgun equivalent of the sword of a thousand truths in a garbage bin in claptraps house. The thing is, the drop rate is so miniscule it's highly unlikely it will happen.

Where you usually get all these rare orange drops is from specific bosses and mobs that drop them. For instance, That bullymong knuckledragger you killed has a high chance of dropping The Hornet, a corrosive Dahl Pistol.

Realize that by high, I'm speaking relative. The chance is still probably only 2% if that, but compared to the drop rate everywhere else I can assure you it's 10x higher at the least.
---
#9gunsndrosesPosted 7/9/2013 4:37:39 AM
They inexplicably linked legendaries to certain bosses; you'd have to kill certain bosses to get legendaries. I hate this loot system... I vastly prefer BL1's, but what's done is done.

The rarer guns (e.g legendaries, pearlescents, even purples) generally have better stats. They spawn with some powerful attachments and modifications, as well as some of the optimal weapon parts.

Your chances of finding a good gun in a chest are horrible. It's rather disappointing at times... just hope that the enemies/bosses you kill are generous enough to drop something worthwhile.
---
1-13 in trying to get moderations overturned
#10Eternal KPosted 7/9/2013 4:37:47 AM
Weapons come from all sorts of sources. The two biggest ones will be drops from enemies (most bosses and mini-bosses have a legendary weapon that they are more likely to drop) and weapon chests. You obviously will also find some weaponry in the vending machines located throughout Pandora, and can sometimes find weapons in crates such as the small brown boxes or dumpsters.

Best advice for the first playthrough? Kill and loot everything. You never know what you might find!
---
2007 - 2008 NHL Saturday Picks Champion