Question topic (Possible spoilers?)

#1PDGMTGPosted 7/11/2013 10:37:32 AM
Ok, so I just recently got into Borderlands. I haven't played the first game, so unfortunately some of my questions might come off as silly, but I'm just really ignorant.

1) The golden chest in Sanctuary requires a golden key to open. I have one, I believe, from buying DLC. Is this the only way to get golden keys? What are the ways you can get them? Are there multiple chests like this, or just the one? And after opening it, if you are able to open it again, does it restock between openings?

2) What's a good way to find good weapons and such? I seem to keep running into the issue where I can't find any good items. I'm currently a level 31 and I have a level 25 or 28 pistol, and have yet to find a good pistol around my level that does more or even close to the damage output than my current weapon. However, enemies are getting to be pretty tough to kill. I have been doing story missions, so I know that can't be the issue. What should I do? Enemies in a certain location? Weapons crates? Slot machines? Where should I expect to get weapons that actually do something other than get me some easy cash?

For some reason a friend I play with doesn't have this problem. He found a green assault rifle recently with a damage output of over 1000 (Level 29 or 30 I think), when other assault rifles at this level are doing closer to 500. What is the deal here? o_O

3) What DLC should I get? I already got the vault hunters expansion (The one that increases the level cap) and the Psyco DLC. Should I consider any others? Which ones?

4) I heard a rumor that side quests with a blue item as a reward should be left to complete until later ranks. I assume this is so you can get good equipment at high level ranks. How exactly does this work, as I would think that the equipment rewards would remain the level of the side quest. Am I wrong, or do the rewards just increase in level when you receive them? Could someone explain this so I better understand it? :\

Thanks for any replies, and if something didn't make sense let me know and I'll try to explain it better... I'm not sure if I was clear, as I'm not really sure what I'm talking about...
---
-Just Some Random
#2dooyaunastanPosted 7/11/2013 10:46:19 AM
PDGMTG posted...
Ok, so I just recently got into Borderlands. I haven't played the first game, so unfortunately some of my questions might come off as silly, but I'm just really ignorant.

1) The golden chest in Sanctuary requires a golden key to open. I have one, I believe, from buying DLC. Is this the only way to get golden keys? What are the ways you can get them? Are there multiple chests like this, or just the one? And after opening it, if you are able to open it again, does it restock between openings?

2) What's a good way to find good weapons and such? I seem to keep running into the issue where I can't find any good items. I'm currently a level 31 and I have a level 25 or 28 pistol, and have yet to find a good pistol around my level that does more or even close to the damage output than my current weapon. However, enemies are getting to be pretty tough to kill. I have been doing story missions, so I know that can't be the issue. What should I do? Enemies in a certain location? Weapons crates? Slot machines? Where should I expect to get weapons that actually do something other than get me some easy cash?

For some reason a friend I play with doesn't have this problem. He found a green assault rifle recently with a damage output of over 1000 (Level 29 or 30 I think), when other assault rifles at this level are doing closer to 500. What is the deal here? o_O

3) What DLC should I get? I already got the vault hunters expansion (The one that increases the level cap) and the Psyco DLC. Should I consider any others? Which ones?

4) I heard a rumor that side quests with a blue item as a reward should be left to complete until later ranks. I assume this is so you can get good equipment at high level ranks. How exactly does this work, as I would think that the equipment rewards would remain the level of the side quest. Am I wrong, or do the rewards just increase in level when you receive them? Could someone explain this so I better understand it? :\

Thanks for any replies, and if something didn't make sense let me know and I'll try to explain it better... I'm not sure if I was clear, as I'm not really sure what I'm talking about...

1. golden keys are obtained by entering shift codes in the shift menu under the extras menu. gearbox releases shift keys via twitter, there is a 'borderlands 2 shift codes' facebook page you can follow as well, they're released quite often

2. the golden chest will give you good gear at your current level, and is usually the solution for the problem you suggested. just do side quests, some of them have bosses, on the borderlands 2 wiki there's a list of both regular bosses and raid bosses.

3. pirate's booty has awesome loot, fun story, neat bosses
tiny tina is being praised as one of the best, haven't beat it yet
torgue's campaign of carnage is supposedly a good one, haven't touched that one yet
hammerlock has 2 raid bosses but is considered meh in comparison to the rest

4. not entirely true, when you activate the quest in that playthrough mode, the quest is locked at the level you activate it i think
---
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison
#3Paragon_NemesisPosted 7/11/2013 10:50:57 AM(edited)
PDGMTG posted...

1) Gold keys can only be used once. As soon as the chest is fully looted it closes and can be immediatly reopened with another key. Keys can be acquired via dlc, like you, or entering shift codes found at various Borderlands related media.

2) I do not have a good answer for that in game. Try trading with a player who has gear they have outgrown in a sense and acquire their amazing at that level gear. The gear from the gold chest also levels with you, so that can be a good source, but higher levels get better weapons, keep that in mind.

3) I don't have any, but I hear Tiny Tina's is great.

4) The blue item quest rewards levels are based on when you started the quest. EX. Level 23 at start of quest, gear will be level 20~25, while a level 58 might get something around level 55~60. The blue items tend to be very useful at higher levels, so people tend to wait on them. Greens are usually not good anyway though, so don't worry about them
---
PSN: ShadowCommander3
With Great Power, Comes A Great Beatdown!
#4PDGMTG(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 1:39:16 PM
Ok, yeah, so once the mission is accepted, the level is locked? So as long as I don't accept the quest I'll be able to get better stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Also, what is the purpose of Clap-trap's stash, and the different from the safe?
---
-Just Some Random
#5TsurukePosted 7/11/2013 1:44:52 PM(edited)
PDGMTG posted...
Ok, yeah, so once the mission is accepted, the level is locked? So as long as I don't accept the quest I'll be able to get better stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Also, what is the purpose of Clap-trap's stash, and the different from the safe?

That only applies to TVHM, Normal mode, the levels are pre-determined.

CL4P-TP's Secret Stash, is designed to store 4 pieces of equipment shared to that profile to be accessed by any other character you created on the same profile (without having to use online players or a second controller to "hold" equipment for you while you load up your other characters) While the safe is character/save specific.
#6Jambi_ManPosted 7/11/2013 1:49:27 PM(edited)
PDGMTG posted...

Thanks for the info.

Gear stored in Claptraps stash is available to any character you create under your profile. It's meant for gear trading amongst your different characters. Until you start a new character, it's only use to you is 4 more storage slots.

Gear stored in the bank is only available to the character you're currently playing.

Edit: You ninja'd me, Tsuruke! Well played. ;)
---

Tool
Spiral Out...
#7TsurukePosted 7/11/2013 2:38:47 PM
Jambi_Man posted...
Edit: You ninja'd me, Tsuruke! Well played. ;)

lol no problem, you were only helping as well :)
#8capnovanPosted 7/11/2013 2:45:18 PM
if you are interested in more info for Golden Keys:

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key
---
You can take my Karma, but you'll never take......MY FREEDOM!
#9PDGMTG(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 3:02:45 PM
Ok, cool, but that opens up another question. What is TVHM and all the other abbreviations I'm seeing around the board?

Also, what is True Vault Hunter mode? The game just gave me the option to use that earlier, but it didn't give me an explanation. Maybe because the last time I played I was playing with a friend, so I unlocked it in multiplayer...
---
-Just Some Random
#10MillkdudzPosted 7/11/2013 3:17:06 PM
TVHM = True Vault Hunter mode
Its a 2nd playthrough with higher level loot and enemies

UVHM = Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode
A 3rd playthrough with even higher loot and enemies

You unlock each by finishing the game on the previous playthrough.