Generosity and the Borderlands 2 Community (sorry for the super long post)

#1Desilu929Posted 7/29/2013 10:24:49 AM
The amount of generosity on this board and in this game are unlike anything I've experienced in any other. Coming from other communities, Super Street Fighter 4, Call of Duty, and Halo--the unmitigated and unparalleled hostility is the stuff of nightmares.

I've been called every racist, stereotypical, hateful and inconceivably stupid name in the book. At least twice. When I didn't know how to FADC in Street Fighter 4, my sexuality was called into question. Whenever a team based objective came up in Call of Duty, it was every man for himself. And in Halo, well...between the t-bagging, team killing, and all around douchebaggery--I wonder why the game exists online anyway, other than to showcase the ugly side of online games like a virtual museum.

I played the entirety of BL1 offline for this very reason. But one day after trying out UVHM with my trusty Commando, I quickly found out that my sup-par level 40-ish gear was not going to cut it.
I reluctantly went online to try to do some missions with other players and to my surprise, everyone was gathered in Sanctuary standing on top of piles of Legendary loot.

I sheepishly asked if people were trading Legendary Loot because I didn't have any, so I wouldn't take anything. To my utter shock, someone spoke up and said:

"Take whatever you want. I don't need any of this stuff anymore and you're welcome to it if you need it."

Others added:

"Yeah, just take what you need. Here."

And with that, a random Siren stepped behind an in-game HUD, and an avalanche of orange and light blue loot came flying towards me.

Generosity. Plain and simple. It has become such an alien concept to me that my Commando stood there frozen in time, surrounded by a mountain of treasure that had taken countless others countless play sessions to acquire. In the real world, I stood there, in my living room, just holding my controller until the screen slightly darkened.

Having recently signed up to this message board, i recognized that some of the players present on that fateful day are all here. You have all selflessly made this board what it is. For that, you have my thanks. Not for some Videogame loot, but for helping me realize that games don't have to be a microcosm of hate.
---
Xbox Live GT -- Desilu929
The Borderlands 2 Community has single-handedly restored my faith in humanity.
#2RazielParadoxPosted 7/29/2013 10:39:35 AM
Have to agree with you there. I joined gamefaqs to aid in my search for specific things that I would spend days, weeks, or (in some cases) months searching for that just wouldn't drop. I find that the people here are mostly generous and willing to help. So in turn, I'm sure a few people here know, I've helped out those that need it even if they don't have anything I'm looking for. Continue to make the Borderlands 2 community a better place by paying the kindness forward. If you need any help or are looking for anything, drop me a message on my GT Eclipse Aeterna.
#3Kpt_KapowskiPosted 7/29/2013 11:03:09 AM
Lol
---
Lmfao Sony get xBONED
#4TarentulaPosted 7/29/2013 11:18:47 AM
I love you guys, I love you guys so much.
#5SweetBoiPosted 7/29/2013 11:33:55 AM
I as well have joined loot lobby's and got all my legendary gear that way. But I have also joined those same kind of games and donated stuff I don't need/use. Just need to get to lvl 61 so I can use some weapons I got the other day.
---
GT: K1llerInst1nctz
#6GreatTroySenseiPosted 7/29/2013 12:44:54 PM
Be prepared for "elite" players to log on from their basements and tell you how wrong it is to accept duped weapons because farming is important to them.

For my money? Good on you, dude. Glad you're having fun with the game.
---
These are like, third dimension glasses, you know? They don't really work, though because I feel like I'm still seeing stuff in whatever dimension we live in.
#7Kpt_KapowskiPosted 7/29/2013 12:51:49 PM
GreatTroySensei posted...
Be prepared for non lazy players to log on from their recliners and tell you how pointless it is to accept duped weapons because farming is 1/3 of the Borderlands formula.

excellent point, sir.

I mean, really. Those same people probably get power leveled as well, so that's 2/3 of the game rendered moot.

you'd be better off burning the money you were gonna spend on this game.
---
Lmfao Sony get xBONED
#8RogsR34UKPosted 7/29/2013 1:04:23 PM
I had a power levelled character and no useful gear. This community helped me get equipped, for which I am grateful.

Subsequent power levels came with decent equipment. Thanks to this community.

At some point I will return to my own normally levelled characters to see if I can also get them to Lv 61. I have one of each character at least to Lv 40, my Mechro being Lv 56 and my Psycho Lv 52.

I may now have a decent selection of Lv 61 gear, but that has not stopped me from doing my own farming.

I think borderlands being a co-operative game rather than a competitive one does do a better job of pronoting a sharing community.
---
PSN & Gamertag - RogsR34UK
#9ArmoredAvengerPosted 7/29/2013 1:41:31 PM
That's great, you are absolutely right about this community being supportive and for what little its worth I play Halo without being a dick about it so we do exist.
---
FC:4253-4200-7735
GT: ArmoredAvengerX
#10R_Fated_CirclePosted 7/29/2013 3:02:32 PM
TC all the games you mentioned are VS/competitive games of course people won't be as helpful in those kind of games especially mid match compared to Borderlands which is basically all about co-op.
---
Where's your passion fight like you mean it! "Hilde - Soul Calibur V"