Build Diversity = A bunch of bologna

#1AnonymousFriendPosted 9/6/2013 6:33:29 PM
As I've been going through my characters and playing, I've noticed that when asked about, half of the skills are "pretty good on normal", "decent on TVHM", and "worthless on UVHM". Then you have people copying other's builds. It not limited to just this game, but most RPGs in general.

I personally believe that if you're willing to put in the time and effort, you should be able to max out all of you're skills.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#2GoTeamLexanaPosted 9/6/2013 6:44:54 PM
Eh. Not sure about that. Another game I was recently playing alot of was Defiance and you can max everything there, once I did, I got bored of it rather quickly.
#3doughnutmanPosted 9/6/2013 6:49:48 PM
Maxing skills is a bad idea. There's more replayability in a game in which you're able to pick and choose skills. It allows you to change how you play more often. It'd honestly kinda mess with game mechanics once you have every skill.
---
Gamertag: ArsenicJoker
#4killbot357Posted 9/6/2013 6:51:55 PM
yeah man you should totes be able to max out you are skills
---
XBOX / PSN: illbzo1 3DS FC: 2750 - 2544 - 5832
Currently playing: Borderlands 2, The Last of Us, Minecraft FTB, Final Fantasy IV
#5Kpt_KapowskiPosted 9/6/2013 6:56:05 PM
It is true, though, that the vast majority of players are too lazy or dumb to come up with their own playstyles and builds.

just look at all the lf threads. Every single one is people wanting the "best" gear, but they only know its the "best" because they saw it on YouTube.
---
Lmfao I win
#6AnonymousFriend(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 11:24:27 AM
doughnutman posted...
Maxing skills is a bad idea. There's more replayability in a game in which you're able to pick and choose skills. It allows you to change how you play more often. It'd honestly kinda mess with game mechanics once you have every skill.

That's not everyone, though. I got someone to max me out in the first game and still went on to three or four playthroughs with each character. And like I said, If I had to put a lot of time into gaining those points, why should it matter?
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#7kiwimyweeweePosted 9/7/2013 11:41:33 AM
AnonymousFriend posted...
As I've been going through my characters and playing, I've noticed that when asked about, half of the skills are "pretty good on normal", "decent on TVHM", and "worthless on UVHM". Then you have people copying other's builds. It not limited to just this game, but most RPGs in general.

I personally believe that if you're willing to put in the time and effort, you should be able to max out all of you're skills.

That's why there is badass rank.
---
Victimization is the current fad of America.
fredbeatswilma's alt
#8Argyle_GargoylePosted 9/7/2013 11:55:11 AM
rather than allowing you to get all skill, which would totally destroy any possibility of build diversity, i rather see GBX re balance some of the less useful skills.

the issue is that too many skill are just completely inferior to others. this leads to people obviously gravitate towards these better options.

there would be more build diversity if people had more good skills to choose from. as it is, on many characters, there are clear winners as far as usefulness goes. give people more useful skills to choose from, and they will vary their builds more. theres no real decision to make on a lot of the trees because some of the skills are so inferior
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#9spfurm01Posted 9/7/2013 12:54:29 PM
Argyle_Gargoyle posted...
rather than allowing you to get all skill, which would totally destroy any possibility of build diversity, i rather see GBX re balance some of the less useful skills.

the issue is that too many skill are just completely inferior to others. this leads to people obviously gravitate towards these better options.

there would be more build diversity if people had more good skills to choose from. as it is, on many characters, there are clear winners as far as usefulness goes. give people more useful skills to choose from, and they will vary their builds more. theres no real decision to make on a lot of the trees because some of the skills are so inferior

Personally I agree with this approach. There is literally no reason to ever take Recompense on a Siren. It's just that bad.
---
Currently playing: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Skyrim (PC)
#10BelkaizerPosted 9/7/2013 1:05:17 PM
you forgot to mention that in defiance you can max out every skill but you cannot use them all at the same time. your limited to how many you can use. in a sense you can have different builds. in borderlands if you could max every skill there wouldnt be different specs for each class.
---
Knowledge is power, Wisdom is all.