Do you ENJOY low drop rates?

#21Jambi_ManPosted 9/25/2013 12:53:06 PM(edited)
DuneMan posted...
xliner posted...
68 people have no idea what low drop rates are.

I don't feel special if I spend 60 game hours farming for a specific item with an aesthetic perk. For me I'd feel more like an a****** or loser for having spent so much time on something so miniscule.

With that attitude, you might as well call people losers for playing any game at all. What's the point in the end? It's all for fun.

If someone enjoys grinding for rares, who are you to judge?

I've spent 1500 hours shooting & looting, and having an all out blast doing it. A lot of that time was spent grinding for Bada** stuff that had Bada** aesthetic qualities..... But yeah, people doing what they enjoy are definitely a******* and losers. :/
---
OH - IO
Go Bucks!
#22VandorLee(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 12:31:26 PM
I find it odd when its for bragging rights when its from an item with a low chance to drop. What are you bragging? You got luckier or had more time to farm or dont mind doing something over and over for long periods of time?

Yeah, i guess thats why people rage over dupers because they spent 2 mins asking and receiving and then go quest while enjoying said item.

Again, duping SAVES this game...
---
"God didn't create humans... No!, Its humans who created God"
"Dr. Londez, "Cowboy Bebop: Brain Scratch (#1.23)" (1999)
#23Argyle_GargoylePosted 9/25/2013 12:41:06 PM
VandorLee posted...
I find it odd when its for bragging rights when its from an item with a low chance to drop. What are you bragging? You got luckier or had more time to farm or dont mind doing something over and over for long periods of time?

Yeah, i guess thats why people rage over dupers because they spent 2 mins asking and receiving and then go quest while enjoying said item.

Again, duping SAVES this game...

no, people get annoyed with dupers because often times they are annoying, rude, have an entitled attitude, ,offer nothing in return, put in no effort whatsoever (as in asking for a guaranteed quest item), and flood the board with nothing but LF topics. also they have destroyed any possibility of the game ever having a real trading economy.

i personally dont care whether people dupe or not. i get really annoyed when i get a random XBL message begging for an item that i offhandedly mentioned in a thread on here 2 months prior (yes, this has happened several time). whats worse, is they generally arent even polite about it
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#24WoofrikinhawPosted 9/25/2013 1:26:46 PM
VandorLee posted...

The point is that a rare item is proof that you could successfully complete a task (in this case kill a boss enemy) multiple times. This ensures that your ultimate victory is the result of an understanding on how the game/enemy/whatever works, as opposed to a fluke. If you stupidly throw yourself at the boss until you FINALLY kill it once, then you will be disappointed when your lack of skill rewards you with nothing, but if you are smart about it then the enemy becomes much easier to farm. Thus, bragging rights.

Why random drops as opposed to some other way of measuring this? The alternatives are, for the most part, extremely boring (imagine having to count kills, bleh). Random chance also provides motivation to improve your tactics. If you can improve yourself just enough to get that one kill, it could be the one. Of course getting the item in one kill invalidates the point of random drops in the first place, but the low chance means the amount of people who DO get it on the first kill will be small enough to be easily ignored.
---
"Spineless cowards guided by ideals they couldn't grasp, giving up their freedom in the hope of being chosen." -- Covenant, "Final Man"
#25doughnutmanPosted 9/25/2013 1:28:21 PM
Argyle_Gargoyle posted...
no, people get annoyed with dupers because often times they are annoying, rude, have an entitled attitude, ,offer nothing in return, put in no effort whatsoever (as in asking for a guaranteed quest item), and flood the board with nothing but LF topics.

This mainly. I used to never dupe when i first played and got all my items at level 50 solo, and traded/duped a little at level 61. But 72 and OP 8 I didn't even care.

The trading community at the beginning was actually really great. There were a lot of trade topics here and then duping got popular. Duping ruined the trade community but it's mainly the lazy dupers who act entitled and rude like Argyle said.

I've duped for a lot of people at level 61 probably over a couple thousand items in between personal dupes and giveaways I did and entire backpack drops. But I refuse to dupe for lazy people who won't even do quest rewards or have gotten powerleveled the entire way.
---
Gamertag: ArsenicJoker
#26DuneManPosted 9/25/2013 1:47:54 PM
Jambi_Man posted...
If someone enjoys grinding for rares, who are you to judge?

I've spent 1500 hours shooting & looting, and having an all out blast doing it. A lot of that time was spent grinding for Bada** stuff that had Bada** aesthetic qualities..... But yeah, people doing what they enjoy are definitely a******* and losers. :/

If someone loves spending 60 hours grinding for a single item, good for them. But who am I to judge? I'm another person playing the game and one who certainly doesn't want to miss 80% of the cool and unique items in the game simply because I didn't power farm for 60 hours or play the game for 1,000 hours just to see what it has to offer. So to me I wouldn't feel special or rewarded after spending that much time doing something as repetitive as it is monotonous.

And like I said before, I understand prestige items in an MMO, where said person can strut about in front of hundreds or thousands of other players. But in a game like Borderlands? Hell no. So yeah, lets skip the strawman argument. Duping in games like this serves a similar function to the auction houses in other games, only without the formalized structure. I.e. it's a way for players who absolutely don't want to waste dozens of hours farming for a single item to see what all the fuss is about.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#27siegeshotPosted 9/25/2013 3:33:09 PM
Kung_Fu_Fighter posted...
No. Either up the drop rates across the board or add lots more Legendary items.

When you play for hours and finally get your 1% Legendary drop and it ends up being a Flakker is so disappointing.

What pisses me off to no end is that it always seems to be a freaking grenade. And I'm not talking one or two. It's happened to me at least half a dozen times. I'm sick of it.

The last decent Pearl and Seraph I got were both under leveled. Great, but under leveled.

There needs to be some kind of balance. I play legit, but I also heavily rely on gold keys to even compete at-level on my Axton and Krieg (only two I play).
---
Can we get a standalone console Mercs/Raid with Frank West, Rachael (Rachel) Foley, Quint Cetcham, and Jack Krauser with RE4 Village and RE5 Public Assembly?
#28doughnutmanPosted 9/25/2013 3:42:27 PM
Part of the problem is that a lot of Legendaries/E-Techs/Pearls/Seraphs aren't very good and limit the ones you can use. Gearbox needs to learn how to make more balanced guns.

Should some guns be better than others? Of course. That's how all loot games are.

But are there enough good guns? Not really. There's enough for variety. But really thinking about it the whole "bazillion guns" thing really doesn't seem that impressive. There's a good amount of maybe 50-70 guns that are useable. But there are so many more that aren't

They should do a prestige system in a way where the more times you complete the game, the better your loot gets, not necessarily OP levels but just slightly better gear. And better drop rates. Mainly better drop rates.

Pearls imo are essentially useless though. So rare yet only 2 or 3 good ones. That's probably why they made them so easy to get in Digistruct.
---
#29PerfektDarPosted 9/25/2013 3:56:08 PM
As earlier mentioned, doing nothing about duping means that there isn't a real reason for low drop rates..since the loot is randomized, you can get a bad version of a weapon even after many tries.

They should just make the weapons have a way to have a 100% drop rate, such as kiting and killing at a location, solving a puzzle, or clearing some kind of achievement.
---
Brawl Friend Code: 4296-2645-6438
#30doughnutmanPosted 9/25/2013 4:15:06 PM
Just saying. Gearbox doesn't really care about gibbed much either. They just don't want duping/modding talked about on their forums. There were gearbox devs on twitch one night with bahroo and a couple others in a live stream and they were gibbing items on live stream and they asked the devs and they really don't care. They just don't like modded weapons that have absurd stats.

So why put in effort to fix duping if they don't even care about gibbed that much?
---