Allons-y

#18luedevilPosted 11/15/2013 10:43:24 PM
Been wondering what this meant ever since I first heard claptrap say it. Obviously not curious enough to try to figure it out on the web. Well, coincidentally, when catching up on some Doctor Who, I heard the 9th doctor say it a couple of times and then tell someone what it means.

So for those that may be curious but lazy (and never took French class) it means "Let's go"
---
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything.
#2zeldafaneightPosted 11/15/2013 10:56:42 PM
First off how dare you confuse the 9th and 10th doctors. Second could claptrap been given that line to reference Doctor Who in a way only it's true fans would find?
---
GT: vI DISTURBED Iv (capital i not l)
#38luedevil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 11:27:38 PM
WOW! Someone really knows his Doctors. My apologies for my mistake. You are correct, I did mean the 10th Doctor. Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor so far and his Amy Pond my favorite companion. So were I not so new to the series I should have not made that mistake. Good job knowing which Doctor said it since I made no other references or hints.

Of course it is a Doctor Who reference when Claptrap says it. Gearbox loves inside jokes.
---
#4zeldafaneightPosted 11/15/2013 11:52:05 PM
Oh I'm relatively new to the series too but David Tennant is my favorite doctor by far so that's really the only reason I caught it. I just want it tone next Saturday already so I can finally watch a new episode.
---
#58luedevil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 11:58:13 PM
I do like David Tennant in everything I have seen him in, Doctor included, but something about Matt Smith's doctor combined with Karen Gillan puts him in second place.

So we get a new Doctor soon right? Also, I haven't finished the last season yet so careful with the spoilers. I pretty much have a handle on the River Song story though so that topic is safe.
---
#6zeldafaneightPosted 11/16/2013 12:15:30 AM
Matt Smith's last episode will be the Christmas special this year so season 8 will be a new doctor. Season 7 episode 5 is pretty emotional if you haven't gotten there yet.

Personally I'm not much of a fan of the river song story. I feel they just kinda forced this romance on the doctor, although it was a nice touch making Amy and Rory her parents
---
#7thedeadsiderPosted 11/16/2013 10:49:55 AM
Allons-y is one of the easier to spot references though, did you see some of the other ones?

Claptrap, when idling on the title screen, will say he needs to pee then hop into the outhouse which disappears and returns like a Tardis.

The Sanctuary citizens keep knocking on walls which is a reference to the sound of drums of the Master, and sometimes talk about missing Constable What on echocast.

When you blow up the dam in Opportunity, Jack gets on the loudspeaker and talks about citizens who died and asks to mourn them. He's actually talking about the original 4 Doctor actors: W. Hartnell, P. Troughton, J. Pertwee and the iconic T. Baker.

And the biggest one of all, a handsome man that seemingly doesn't die, and the Master called Captain Harkness "Handsome Jack". Yeah, the villain is a reference.
---
tehdeadsider just made more sense than anyone I've seen on LUE all morning. - richie259
Gamertag/PSN ID Deadsider
#8xlinerPosted 11/16/2013 10:57:08 AM
ITT: nerds
---
I like you more and more the lesser you breathe
"xliner is probably an eridian" - 3CDED
#9HamJabroniPosted 11/16/2013 12:28:54 PM
Let's go
---
Here at SniperCo. we aim to please.
Because we sure as Hell can't aim to hit. -WorstSniperEver.
#108luedevil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 1:19:22 PM
I never noticed Claptrap in the Tardis outhouse. That's awesome.
---