Borderlands 1

#1mrbeef523Posted 3/8/2014 1:59:34 PM
I skipped Borderlands 1 and went straight to Borderlands 2 for a few reasons, including but not limited to the fact that BL2 is not a true direct sequel and can be played as its own stand alone game without having played the first one.

But my question is this: since I enjoyed the 2nd one, would I also get enjoyment out of the 1st one? I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd one (and continue to enjoy it).
---
GT: Ellipsis415
Playing: CoD: G, GTA V, Bioshock 2.
#2mooninomicsPosted 3/8/2014 2:19:42 PM
I say go for it. The GOTY is beyond cheap these days, and it's a quality game. There are some pretty big differences, but at the core it's the same overall experience. If you enjoyed the second one, I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy the first one. It does some things BL2 doesn't, while also not doing some things BL2 does. Overall, I highly recommend playing it. It's still a hell of a lot of fun, and you might find a new appreciation for some of the characters, situations and weapons that also appear in BL2.
---
Life is too short.
#3ClaycrusherPosted 3/8/2014 2:39:45 PM
The biggest things I like about Borderlands 1 more than 2 are that legendaries actually show up without farming, and that you can kill a bandit who was using an interesting gun and a lot of the time be able to pick up his gun and use it yourself. And there are way fewer suicide enemies. That being said, FFYL in 1 is much more exasperating because you can't move around and the enemy has a penchant for ducking behind cover once you go down. There is also much less variety in that the skill trees are less diverse, grenade mods aren't nearly as fun, and most of the guns look and feel the same.
#4deadguy8608Posted 3/8/2014 4:38:40 PM
How is #2 not a direct sequel? What game are you playing?
---
Movies i'm looking forward to in the future (2014): Godzilla reboot, Robocop reboot, Batman/Superman(2015), Devil's Due, 300 ROAE, Need for Speed
#5mrbeef523(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 5:49:56 PM
deadguy8608 posted...
How is #2 not a direct sequel? What game are you playing?

It's not direct in that it doesn't take place immediately after the events of Borderlands 1. There is a time gap.
---
GT: Ellipsis415
Playing: CoD: G, GTA V, Bioshock 2.
#6killbot357Posted 3/8/2014 6:09:05 PM
mrbeef523 posted...
can be played as its own stand alone game without having played the first one.

Name any video game sequel that doesn't do this.
---
XBOX / PSN: illbzo1 Twitter: @illbzo1
Currently playing: Minecraft: TPPI, Ni No Kuni
#7Anarki471Posted 3/8/2014 6:15:09 PM
I was just about to post the same question, ninja'd

Good question Killbot
---
Honestly, when do you feel the need to aim for crits when everything is on fire? "xliner"
#8doughnutmanPosted 3/8/2014 6:38:47 PM
Kingdom Hearts. Has a lot of references to past games. So you won't always know everything.

And assassins creed. If you just jump into 3 without playing one of the others you won't know all the story elements.

Some aren't necessary in assassins creed like the newest one is more stand alone. But that's essentially a new story and arguably isn't even an assassin game.
---
PSN: ArsenicJoker
#9markconigliaroPosted 3/8/2014 6:52:19 PM
killbot357 posted...
mrbeef523 posted...
can be played as its own stand alone game without having played the first one.

Name any video game sequel that doesn't do this.

Mass Effect series and White Knight Chronicles 2.
---
I am a juggler/prop manipulator/fire performer, I'm awesome, here's my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/markconigliaro
#10mooninomicsPosted 3/8/2014 7:36:46 PM
Whether you want to call it a direct sequel or not doesn't really matter, it's simply an argument of (ultimately unimportant) terminology.

It follows the same characters in events taking place a short time after the first game directly because of the events of the first game, though not from the perspective of those characters. The events of the first game tie heavily into the plot of the second game. It's not that you won't understand BL2 if you don't play the original, but that the player will have a greater understanding of many events that both took place in-between the two games and during BL2.

Not matter how you cut it it's a sequel. A sequel is a sequel is a sequel.

You can want to kill Jack for what he does in BL2, but I believe you won't truly hate him unless you've played the original. Take Bloodwing, for example. Anyone can understand this was Mordecai's best friend and companion and we're all pissed at Jack even more for killing her, but for people who played the first, it easily could leave you stunned and howling for vengeance (especially Mordecai players). Not to mention Roland. Or Pierce to a far lesser extent. Or New Haven. Or Fyrestone. Or Tannis getting her ass kicked. Or Brick's new dog. Or Angel, kind of. .... And Claptrap, sort of. The point is, the story has far more emphasis to it if you're more familiar with these characters and locations. You don't need this information, but it certainly can be important to the overall experience. Not quite sure how good it is in reverse, though.
---
Life is too short.