Gaige or Maya? solo build

#1RoninzetaPosted 9/2/2014 11:20:12 AMmessage detail
I played this game briefly when it came out, then got distracted by others. Now I'm in the mood to shoot things, and I'm not sure which class to play.

I play solo only. I'm partial to SMGs, the more bullets the better. I played the original game with Lilith.

I really like Gaige as a character, the various little things she says, how she looks, some of her customization options. As for her abilities... Deathtrap is pretty cool, I love summoning things, but he seems to make things a little too easy. In the little time I played with him, he could wreck bosses on his own without my help. Also, I'm not fond of Anarchy, I like my bullets to hit, preferably from a distance.

Maya is cool, I like the idea of Phaselocking. But early on it doesn't hold very long, and it didn't seem that helpful against bosses. I also seemed to die a lot more compared to Gaige.

I prefer to play as women, the only other character that interests me is Axton. That turret is pretty awesome.
#2reload88Posted 9/2/2014 11:46:40 AMmessage detail
I really enjoy playing as both tbh. The thing about anarchy is that you may loose a bit of accuracy but it's offset by the skill close enough. In reality it's not that bad of a loss, you'll still be able to hit things easy enough with max anarchy.

Maya is really good at crowd control with her action skill. Work down to ruin and you'll be slagging enemies every time you phaselock. This helps major when it comes to uvhm.
---
Eh? Sure,why not?
#3WarsteelIXPosted 9/2/2014 3:42:27 PMmessage detail
I've played them both to level 72. I wasn't a fan of Anarchy for Gaige when I first started playing but some conversions from some folks here convinced me to give it a try (while somewhere in the 30-35 level range)- and I haven't switched back since. Maya does seem to have a large and devoted following though but heck- try them both and see...
---
Behind every good deed lies an ulterior motive...
#4DuneManPosted 9/2/2014 4:17:13 PMmessage detail
Sounds like you're more into Gaige, TC. You should know that your fear about Deathtrap being overpowered mostly applies to the early parts of the game. In the later portions of the game you'll need to watch over him if you intend for him to be more than a momentary distraction.

If anything, a number of Gaige's skills are weaker than they could/should be, at least on an individual level. I believe Gearbox intended for players to very much focus on overlapping certain skill bonuses when using Gaige. E.g. if you take Little Big Trouble you're going to want to invest heavily around Wires Don't Talk and pair it with a Shock Relic for +60% or better Shock damage. Well, that and they have to consider players using Anarchy along with the other bonuses.

Deathtrap is pretty easy to incorporate into most builds though, since Close Enough, The Better Half, and Upshot Robot are downright amazing. Explosive Clap is nice too, and easily incorporated into an Anarchy build if you take Unstoppable Force to give you the movement speed bonuses necessary to quickly get in an enemy's face. In the earlier playthroughs especially you can still lean on Blood Soaked Shields to keep you safe while you charge from enemy to enemy alongside Deathtrap.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#5Masterpie3000Posted 9/2/2014 5:43:12 PMmessage detail
personally I love maya

I prefer skills that dont dominate my playstyle (like krieg), and I get bored of summom skills like turrets after a playthrough

If you dont like Anarchy then I wouldnt go with gaige at all, with 72 skills points and not wanting an entire tree of hers you will run out of fun builds to try, also, deathtrap itself falls off late game, being used mainly as a distraction/support, no damage

with phaselock I find that you can simply buff yourself

throw an enemy in the air, gain damage/health/fire rate

if your main focus is simply shooting things yourself, maya is your gal (or sal is your guy, but i never got into the duel wield thing)

by far my favorite character, and find her the most viable in multiple situations

warning: she is not as good at soloing raid bosses, but can be done
#6RasenangelPosted 9/2/2014 8:47:44 PMmessage detail
Roninzeta posted...
I played this game briefly when it came out, then got distracted by others. Now I'm in the mood to shoot things, and I'm not sure which class to play.

I play solo only. I'm partial to SMGs, the more bullets the better. I played the original game with Lilith.

I really like Gaige as a character, the various little things she says, how she looks, some of her customization options. As for her abilities... Deathtrap is pretty cool, I love summoning things, but he seems to make things a little too easy. In the little time I played with him, he could wreck bosses on his own without my help. Also, I'm not fond of Anarchy, I like my bullets to hit, preferably from a distance.

Maya is cool, I like the idea of Phaselocking. But early on it doesn't hold very long, and it didn't seem that helpful against bosses. I also seemed to die a lot more compared to Gaige.

I prefer to play as women, the only other character that interests me is Axton. That turret is pretty awesome.

I was pretty sure I replied to this thread...huh.

Maya has a skill that increases her phaselock duration. Her best weapon is smg's and with the right build, she can wreck most bosses.
With gaige, anarchy might seem like a hindrance, but it is a real game-changer in the long run. With the close enough skill, it won't really seem like you have lost accuracy from the stack of anarchy, since close enough allows the bullets to bounce towards enemies. Deathtrap does wreck face, but as you proceed through the levels, dt will start to help less. With the right build, he can become a tank (I can link you to some if you want).
Axton, I feel, is the least useful vault hunter. I have managed to get 1 good build, though it is a glass cannon. Any other build I have tried with him is a waste of time, but that is just me. Hope this helps.
---
GT: Rasenangel
"Peacemaker of the gamefaqs" - Ardore_Messor
#7Ardore_MessorPosted 9/2/2014 9:39:19 PMmessage detail
I love my Gaige.... I need to level her up some more.... >_> anyway, anarchy is a great skill, especially when paired up with close enough to offset the accuracy loss. I use torgue shotguns and smgs to put bullets and explosions in the air. If you go down her ordered chaos tree and get nth bullet, that's a fun one. I had a sniper round miss when I shot, bounce off a wall, hit a guy for a crit then bounce of him and kill a skag in mid air. It's not often that happens, but damn was it cool.
---
Garland: "Now, presenting the honorable judge Gabranth. Everyone please be seated, or I, Garland, will knock you all down!!!!!!"~FaytXII
#8Roninzeta(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 4:15:57 PMmessage detail
Hey, thanks for the replies! I think you all sold me on Maya. Yeah, I like Gaige as a character more, but I'm still not that interested in Anarchy, so I kinda agree that it's a bit of a waste to only touch her other two trees.

If anyone's interested in sharing a solid solo build for Maya, I'd be grateful. I'm guessing I should take some kind of healing right away, and then respec to more damage/mobility when I have better shield options? Also, I've only got access to 61 points, as I didn't get the second Vault Hunter pack.
#9doughnutmanPosted 9/3/2014 7:00:01 PMmessage detail
You should try a melee Maya build. It's a lot of fun solo.

Shock slow hand on Gaige is a lot of fun as well. But that's just personal opinion.
---
PSN: ArsenicJoker
#10genesis42Posted 9/3/2014 7:53:51 PMmessage detail
I would choose Maya, but mainly because she can keep everything slagged without the need of slag grenades or a slag weapon (Ruin + Scorn). And I also like the fact that she can get by without having to run a Moxxi weapon for HP regen.
---
They play centipede over at IW, each persons head up the next persons ass, just walking around the office, hands and legs flailing about. ~ SevenDayCandler