Gaige or Maya? solo build

#11InvincibleDeadPosted 9/3/2014 10:48:08 PM
As someone that started the game with Maya, my opinion holds some bias. I do like Maya, but UVHM's dependence on slag makes me hate her. I went for the basic Cataclysm + Motion build, with a few point in harmony (mostly for wreck) and I can confortably say that she is a glass cannon at best. She will absolutely rip through enemies when her phaselock is active, regardless of whether or not they were slagged, but as soon as it wears off you'd better haul ass.

The bulk of cataclysm is worthless on UVHM. Which makes me sad. But I still manage.

For me, Gaige was a breath of fresh air. I seldom use DT for combat purposes, he's more of a distraction (drawing enemies out of cover, recharging my shield in the heat of battle) but I manage. Slap on a Hyperion SMg and we're ready to party. Either way, they're both tons o fun.

I think she might be my favorite playable, with Sal being dead last.

Seriously, f*** Salvador.
---
You can't repay enemies with sex, no matter how badly you want to f*** them over.
#12WarsteelIXPosted 9/4/2014 12:56:53 AM
Roninzeta posted...
Hey, thanks for the replies! I think you all sold me on Maya. Yeah, I like Gaige as a character more, but I'm still not that interested in Anarchy, so I kinda agree that it's a bit of a waste to only touch her other two trees.

If anyone's interested in sharing a solid solo build for Maya, I'd be grateful. I'm guessing I should take some kind of healing right away, and then respec to more damage/mobility when I have better shield options? Also, I've only got access to 61 points, as I didn't get the second Vault Hunter pack.

Try this:
http://bl2skills.com/siren.html#554001050005050000005550500501
---
Behind every good deed lies an ulterior motive...
#13genesis42Posted 9/4/2014 1:10:54 AM
InvincibleDead posted...
I do like Maya, but I can confortably say that she is a glass cannon at best.

Uhhhh......

wat
---
They play centipede over at IW, each persons head up the next persons ass, just walking around the office, hands and legs flailing about. ~ SevenDayCandler
#14Metalreaper13Posted 9/4/2014 1:51:58 AM
genesis42 posted...
InvincibleDead posted...
I do like Maya, but I can confortably say that she is a glass cannon at best.

Uhhhh......

wat

While she does have crowd control and healing, she doesn't have quite the amount of defensive skills some of the others have, I believe Salvador and axton in particular
#15genesis42Posted 9/4/2014 5:48:37 AM
Metalreaper13 posted...
While she does have crowd control and healing, she doesn't have quite the amount of defensive skills some of the others have, I believe Salvador and axton in particular

Ward / Kinetic Reflection / Inertia / Sweet Release / Elated / Sustenance / Life Tap

This isn't enough defensive skills for you? Maya is in no way a glass cannon, and it astounds me that people actually believe that she has trouble keeping herself alive when she single handily has the most regen skills in the game.
---
They play centipede over at IW, each persons head up the next persons ass, just walking around the office, hands and legs flailing about. ~ SevenDayCandler
#16Metalreaper13Posted 9/4/2014 6:39:58 AM
genesis42 posted...
Metalreaper13 posted...

Ward / Kinetic Reflection / Inertia / Sweet Release / Elated / Sustenance / Life Tap

This isn't enough defensive skills for you? Maya is in no way a glass cannon, and it astounds me that people actually believe that she has trouble keeping herself alive when she single handily has the most regen skills in the game.

There's defensive, then there's regen, not exactly the same thing, but neither are offense. What I mean is she has like 3 things that help reduce damage (ward, inertia, kinetic reflection), where as some of the other characters can eat bullets. The only of those healing ones that you mentioned thats pretty defensive, would be sustenance, the other you actually have to do something, or already be hurt. But there's not doubt the healing is where she can shine an be a great support character (including yourself)
#17Roninzeta(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 7:08:47 AM
WarsteelIX posted...

Try this:
http://bl2skills.com/siren.html#554001050005050000005550500501

Thanks. I've been doing a broader search, looking at different builds. I notice A LOT of players go for Ruin, but skip Blight Phoenix. Is it because its AoE has a small radius, around Maya, or because it doesn't do much damage anyway?

For that matter, Cloud Kill and Thoughtlock are also rarely used. I at least already understand why Scorn is usually passed up, but not some of the others.
#18DuneManPosted 9/4/2014 7:46:20 AM
Scaling... skills like Cloud Kill and Blight Phoenix don't scale well at all in the highest difficulties, to the point of being a joke. Blight Phoenix also has an annoying tendency to make barrels explode if you don't notice them in time. That said, some people put a point into it in team game just to have 'pretty wings'.

On the flipside, Cloud Kill and Blight Phoenix can cause enemies to stagger momentarily from time to time. That can be a lifesaver if you have some supremely pissed Maniac about to slash you in the face only to stumble and falter from the Phoenix effect.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#19InvincibleDeadPosted 9/4/2014 2:28:15 PM
My biggest pet peeve with Maya is how un-useful her action skill is vs bosses until you get Ruin. Even then, it's only use is to slag because by the time you reach Ultimate, the damage is practically non-existent. Her health regen is either dependent on you killing/damaging an enemy, which forces me to waste thoughtlock aggro, or passive which is generally to weak to rely on. Of course, I'm speaking from my own experience with an offensive Maya with healing as a secondary option. I spend the bulk of my time relying on Sustenance and Grog Nozzle.
---
You can't repay enemies with sex, no matter how badly you want to f*** them over.
#20Jambi_ManPosted 9/4/2014 2:49:31 PM
Just poppin in to completely agree with Genesis.

Maya is boss in UVHM... offense and defense. I rarely see FFYL with her all the way to max level.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but the fact is, if you're having trouble with survivability as Maya, it ain't Maya.... it's you.
---
Spiral out...