Golden key glitch not that easy to do...

#11Neipas09(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2012 4:41:41 PM
Aukonn posted...
...I've done it at least 20 times now, no issues.

I'll assume you're on PS3, since this is the PS3 board and all that.

1. Load up your main character.
2. Make sure you're at the golden chest in Sanctuary.
3. Load up a new character as the second player. Make sure it's on the same profile as your main character! It doesn't matter what class.
4. You'll see a popup that you've gained a golden key on Player 2.
5. Use the key, and have your main character take the weapons. (The weapons will be in the level range of the first player.)
6. As Player 2, exit the game.

Rinse and Repeat 3-6.

Enjoy.

and also, if i have already used my 1 key from the Shift Code, and i have 0 now, will a new character on my profile still get 1 key?
---
PSN: Neipas09
#12MHettenbachPosted 9/23/2012 4:49:17 PM
Okay as far as getting more keys, as far as I know you get a key everytime you make a new character. or at least I do cause I had a pre-order one and a key from the Shift Club.

and as far as the method for opening the box for free, for some reason a lot of people are doing this the hard way (As long as you have 2 controllers)

I have 2 characters #1 is a lvl 12 Zero, the other is my lvl 16 Siren whom I'm currently playing: here is how I do it and it works every time for me

I load up my Zero (who I am not actively playing) and go to Sanctuary. stand near the chest.

1. Hit Pause (Start).
2. Activate the 2nd controller so the on the side screen where it says invites it says "Hit "X" to start for player 2.
3. on the 2nd Controller Hit X and it brings up my PSN User screen, select the same user as my Zero (Important!) it will then put you in as "joining" with whatever your user name is on the PSN but with a (1) at the end (In my case it shows "KagatoAC(1) as the 2nd player.
4. still on the 2nd Controller: Hit Triangle so it brings up your character selection, load up your "main" character (In my case my Siren)
5. Back on the player 1 Controller, Hit Start again, unpausing the game, this will bring up a confirm menu showing that your 2nd player is loading up with your other character (In my case my Siren)
6. on the 2nd controller (on my Siren) I then open the box, remove the loot. (you can put it on either character, or even on the floor, it doesn't matter)
7. Pause game, and exit the 2nd player (yes it will save) and return you to the single player game your main has not used a key and yet the loot chest has been opened.

you may then go back and repeat steps 1-7 as often as you like

So far for me I have only done it with 2 characters that are within a few levels of each other, when my Zero held the game open at lvl 12, and my Siren opened the box at lvl 14 all the loot was lvl 14, I have not tried it again since the level gap has increased to see if it averages the loot or if it stays the level of the 2nd toon. (the one that opens the box)

As far as getting more keys once you have lost / spent them all. you may have to start over. I know that Gearbox was giving away keys on their twitter feed, but I haven't bothered as I have unlimited keys (and all purple loot on my lvl 14 Siren except for the blasted class mods which have yet to drop from the chest for me)

but if you start a new toon and level / walk ti through the missions to sanctuary you should always have a key on that as long as you never open the box with whatever toon is in your "Player 1" slot.

Sorry for the long post but I tried to explain it as completely as possible :)
#13netman70Posted 9/23/2012 5:06:09 PM
Fist off when I say this I wanna say I discovered something that works for me completely by accident. I wasn't trying to cheat, but for me if I start a solo game, and have a character join for split screen co op the character that joins has. A golden key every time. Odd.
---
Official Head of Secret Service of the NDF PSN ID: Bein Kitterrrrs
Like a Phoenix, we rise again from the ashes... - Nintendogger
#14Neipas09(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2012 5:09:06 PM
MHettenbach posted...
Okay as far as getting more keys, as far as I know you get a key everytime you make a new character. or at least I do cause I had a pre-order one and a key from the Shift Club.

and as far as the method for opening the box for free, for some reason a lot of people are doing this the hard way (As long as you have 2 controllers)

I have 2 characters #1 is a lvl 12 Zero, the other is my lvl 16 Siren whom I'm currently playing: here is how I do it and it works every time for me

I load up my Zero (who I am not actively playing) and go to Sanctuary. stand near the chest.

1. Hit Pause (Start).
2. Activate the 2nd controller so the on the side screen where it says invites it says "Hit "X" to start for player 2.
3. on the 2nd Controller Hit X and it brings up my PSN User screen, select the same user as my Zero (Important!) it will then put you in as "joining" with whatever your user name is on the PSN but with a (1) at the end (In my case it shows "KagatoAC(1) as the 2nd player.
4. still on the 2nd Controller: Hit Triangle so it brings up your character selection, load up your "main" character (In my case my Siren)
5. Back on the player 1 Controller, Hit Start again, unpausing the game, this will bring up a confirm menu showing that your 2nd player is loading up with your other character (In my case my Siren)
6. on the 2nd controller (on my Siren) I then open the box, remove the loot. (you can put it on either character, or even on the floor, it doesn't matter)
7. Pause game, and exit the 2nd player (yes it will save) and return you to the single player game your main has not used a key and yet the loot chest has been opened.

you may then go back and repeat steps 1-7 as often as you like

So far for me I have only done it with 2 characters that are within a few levels of each other, when my Zero held the game open at lvl 12, and my Siren opened the box at lvl 14 all the loot was lvl 14, I have not tried it again since the level gap has increased to see if it averages the loot or if it stays the level of the 2nd toon. (the one that opens the box)

As far as getting more keys once you have lost / spent them all. you may have to start over. I know that Gearbox was giving away keys on their twitter feed, but I haven't bothered as I have unlimited keys (and all purple loot on my lvl 14 Siren except for the blasted class mods which have yet to drop from the chest for me)

but if you start a new toon and level / walk ti through the missions to sanctuary you should always have a key on that as long as you never open the box with whatever toon is in your "Player 1" slot.

Sorry for the long post but I tried to explain it as completely as possible :)

i think i see the problem, when you create a new character you only get 1 key and not 2 correct?
if you ARE getting only 1 key with every new character then it is safe to assume that it's because of the pre-order code you used.
in my case, i only had 1 key from the Shift Code, i never pre-ordered the game or got a code for it.
so i think the new character = free key only works for pre-order games with the code punched into the profile data.
---
PSN: Neipas09
#15SatanLovesUsAllPosted 9/23/2012 5:19:08 PM
The loot in the gold chest isn't all that great. Just play through the game and you'll end up with way better gear.
---
Some call me Stan.
PSN: Impaired_Medic
#16_Deadeye_CM_Posted 9/23/2012 5:20:18 PM
The second player trick is pointless because it scales between both users, so unless you have two high leveled characters, you're wasting time.

As far as I can see, your only option is to do the following:

1. Create a new user on the PS3
2. Sign up for SHiFT and get the free Key.
3. Create a new character, and play until you beat the boss Bullymong(or go further; it doesn't matter as long as you don't keep spawning at the beginning of the game).
4. Copy your main character save onto a flash drive(assuming it's the first save file on that profile).
5. Put that save onto your computer.
6. Copy the new character save(on the profile with the new Key) onto a flash drive. Do step 5 again, but save it somewhere else so it doesn't overwrite the old one(your main character).

Now, at this point, you should have two files on your computer. Make sure you know which one is which, then do the following:

7. Copy the ".SAV" file from your main character's save folder, and paste it into the new folder. A prompt will ask if you want to replace the ".SAV" file; select yes(or whatever).
8. Put the newly edited save folder onto the flash drive. It has to be in PS3/SAVEDATA/......
9. Load the character with your new profile.
10. If everything has gone according to plan, you should actually load your main character, wherever that character was.
11. Exploit all you want.

Now, when you load your character on the new profile, you won't have any of your BA ranks or rewards. They're all still on your other profile so don't worry. When you move the save back, everything will be fine.

When you're done doing the exploit, put the save back onto the flash drive, go back into the computer, and copy the most recent ".SAV" file into the first folder you put on there.

If you don't understand, PM me.
#17morchella1Posted 9/24/2012 1:36:38 AM
_Deadeye_CM_ posted...
The second player trick is pointless because it scales between both users, so unless you have two high leveled characters, you're wasting time.

As far as I can see, your only option is to do the following:

1. Create a new user on the PS3
2. Sign up for SHiFT and get the free Key.
3. Create a new character, and play until you beat the boss Bullymong(or go further; it doesn't matter as long as you don't keep spawning at the beginning of the game).
4. Copy your main character save onto a flash drive(assuming it's the first save file on that profile).
5. Put that save onto your computer.
6. Copy the new character save(on the profile with the new Key) onto a flash drive. Do step 5 again, but save it somewhere else so it doesn't overwrite the old one(your main character).

Now, at this point, you should have two files on your computer. Make sure you know which one is which, then do the following:

7. Copy the ".SAV" file from your main character's save folder, and paste it into the new folder. A prompt will ask if you want to replace the ".SAV" file; select yes(or whatever).
8. Put the newly edited save folder onto the flash drive. It has to be in PS3/SAVEDATA/......
9. Load the character with your new profile.
10. If everything has gone according to plan, you should actually load your main character, wherever that character was.
11. Exploit all you want.

Now, when you load your character on the new profile, you won't have any of your BA ranks or rewards. They're all still on your other profile so don't worry. When you move the save back, everything will be fine.

When you're done doing the exploit, put the save back onto the flash drive, go back into the computer, and copy the most recent ".SAV" file into the first folder you put on there.

If you don't understand, PM me.

I attempted to follow this exactly as described. After having followed the instructions it says that my save file is corrupted. I started a new ps3 profile to get the key, played through the first boss, quit and saved. I then took my main level 22 character .sav file and only replaced the new .sav file on new profile and loaded on new profile. Is there something not right about what I have done?
#18akantraPosted 9/24/2012 10:21:34 AM
If you try to use the glitch and end up losing your keys, at the cost of losing your Badass Ranking, you can go to the PS3 Save Data Utility and delete your PROFILE DATA. Do not delete your character data. By deleting your profile data, it will reset all Profile bound stats such as keys and badass ranking. Your character data will stay in tact, you'll still have your missions and loot, but you wont have your badass ranking anymore. If you want to use the right process for reusing your keys, go look up the "PS3 Golden Key Glitch" on youtube. Its uploaded by naturalbmx420
#19morchella1Posted 9/24/2012 3:45:47 PM
akantra posted...
If you try to use the glitch and end up losing your keys, at the cost of losing your Badass Ranking, you can go to the PS3 Save Data Utility and delete your PROFILE DATA. Do not delete your character data. By deleting your profile data, it will reset all Profile bound stats such as keys and badass ranking. Your character data will stay in tact, you'll still have your missions and loot, but you wont have your badass ranking anymore. If you want to use the right process for reusing your keys, go look up the "PS3 Golden Key Glitch" on youtube. Its uploaded by naturalbmx420

Akantra,

Thanks. I confirm this works perfectly.
#20Ixion_noixiPosted 9/28/2012 4:57:51 AM
Must it be Premium DLC? Or can it be from registering a Shift account? Is it so long as you have a golden key?
---
(U)MvC3 team - I experiment, latest endeavor is ChrisY, TaskA, SpencerB