To slag or not to slag...

#1FF_FiendPosted 9/26/2012 3:54:03 PM
That is the question.

Finishing up my first playthrough, and I gotta say, I don't know whether to love or hate slag weapons. I'm not saying they're not useful - if anything, they're too useful. In theory, why would I carry incindiary, corrosive, shock weapons at all, when I can just slag the enemy and then lay into them with a powerful non elemental weapon for twice the damage?

The answer, obviously, is to slag the enemy and then further expose them to their main weakness. Slagging bandits and then sending incendiary bullets to their brain is amazing.

But do you think it makes the game far too easy (at least normal mode, not talking vault hunter mode yet, where I assume slag will be NECESSARY)?
---
Playing: All games on hold for Borderlands 2
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#2Akira_259Posted 9/26/2012 3:55:08 PM
Slag is only useful on co-op, anything else and it's a waste.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/400-current-events/62333010
The day I won something I have absolutely no memory of.
#3SilverShadow881Posted 9/26/2012 3:57:50 PM
I would judge the game in any way by only considering the first playtrough.

If anything, the first one is just to know the story and game mechanics. The second playtrough is where the game is at. You already know what to do, what you are facing up against, your character is decently leveled, guns are better, etc.

Slag is fine IMO, it doesn't really break the game and it quickly fades from the enemy if you don't shoot it.
---
Peelz
Isaac Clarke would be a killer in Playstation All-stars
#4FF_Fiend(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 3:57:50 PM
Slag is only useful on co-op, anything else and it's a waste.

Have you tried playing as Sal and dual wielding with a slag weapon in one hand and a fire weapon in the other? It aint useless. And against bosses, it can wreck them in half the time.

I never expected the argument that its a "waste" - I was kind of expecting "overpowered"
---
Playing: All games on hold for Borderlands 2
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#5AmethystEndPosted 9/26/2012 4:02:58 PM
I don't use slag guns. I do, however, enjoy grenade mods that do crazy damage plus also slag.
---
The Distant Blue
#6Hanzou74Posted 9/26/2012 4:37:29 PM
I didn't need to use slag much on PT 1, and i'm not that far into PT 2, but i can tell you a couple of things that slagging is very useful for:

Badass Psychos
Badass Fatguys with shields
Probably threshers but i haven't encountered them yet in PT 2

Since they upped the difficulty over BL1 and you can't rush in and faceroll everything, slag is certainly useful in given situations.

*disclaimer* the above statement will not hold true if you've farmed uber gear or cheated your way into superiority.
#7Peltar94Posted 9/26/2012 9:54:49 PM
In some situations....I use a slag weapon to target what my turret is targeting as axton.
#8FryerPosted 9/26/2012 9:58:47 PM
I found an e-tech slag sniper rifle with 2400 atk power at lvl 30 and was so happy because it was way better than my current rifle, then I used it. That thing was a piece of crap and now I stay away from slag guns. When I play Sal I will probably use one for Gunzerking like some people said but other than that hell no.
#9CervosiPosted 9/26/2012 9:58:53 PM
Slag is ALWAYS useful. It's only 'useless' in coop because you're too stubborn to switch weapons once the enemy is slagged.

Salvador can use a Slag+Nonslag weapon combo for his Gunzerking.

Maya can use Ruin or Scorn to inflict Slag and use a non-slag weapon that's on hand.
---
Bluh bluh.
#10CrownClown555Posted 9/26/2012 10:07:03 PM
AmethystEnd posted...
I don't use slag guns. I do, however, enjoy grenade mods that do crazy damage plus also slag.

I do the same on my Maya, since I use elemental guns anyway I usualy search for slag grenade mod.