The way they hold back with language is pretty disappointing. Yay for censorshp?

#21TruePowerSeekerPosted 10/4/2012 7:14:22 PM
Cervosi posted...
Angel willingly censors herself, like a kid who's afraid of swearing.

God......Dang.

The rest is, well, what is this, DmC?

**** YOU

**** YOU

She isn't afraid of swearing. Remember she acts rather lady like so it would make sense for her to want to sound like she is of a higher class then women like Moxxi who wants any man to their tip in her jar.
---
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/Mekeji/Thelastthingyousee.png
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/Mekeji/friezafinalform.jpg
#22airtamisPosted 10/4/2012 7:14:24 PM

You don't need swearing to make a game good.
#23POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 7:16:11 PM(edited)
Also, I already said I don't want more cussing in the game and I don't think it makes a game better so please stop with those posts. Thing is if you have a line with cussing in it either take it out or revise it completely - Don't be lazy and replace a word because then you get horrible lines in an otherwise fantastic script. Maybe Hyperion has control over Gearbox, who knows?

EDITED BECAUSE BOLDING IS APPARENTLY REQUIRED...
#24HungryVirusPosted 10/4/2012 7:15:16 PM
Angel correcting herself and the language she uses is tied to the plot, so yeah, dead issue. I don't think the Mordachi thing would have benefited for stronger language or it would have fit the character better or anything. As for the language in this game, have you listed to the mobs? There is a couple topics on here listing some of the stuff they say. It's plenty M rated, and way funny, as are the too numerous to count M rated references in game. Not sure what game you have been playing, but Borderlands isn't about over the top language, it's all about M rated references and language for the laughs, not shock value.
---
Kill Godzilla, Save the Network.
#25__Infernox__Posted 10/4/2012 7:17:45 PM
Well I gotta' go to pizza hut so I can't continue to actively defend my point of view (not like there's much point since anything negative said about this game no matter how justified it is is gonna' be met with this kinda' response), so post whatever you want. I think I've posted what I need to make a case for my claim.

There is no reason at all for them to censor themselves, it is after all an M rated game. I can understand if everything was toned down to the point where the game would be given a T rating, but even then you have games like Uncharted or inFamous which pretty much spout everything shy of the f word.
---
Style and finesse.
http://www.youtube.com/theinfamousinfernox
#26k_y_a_nPosted 10/4/2012 7:18:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#27_Deadeye_CM_Posted 10/4/2012 7:19:48 PM
POOKISTAN posted...
SSj7CloudS posted...
Hearing Angel swear would be really stupid. She tends to carry herself as a more proper lady, so yeah...the swearing would be completely pointless. Neverminding the fact a game doesn't have to have swearing to get it's points across anyway, did Mordecai really need to swear to show he was that angry? No, it was pretty obvious, you don't need swearing to show it, anyone who thinks you do is really sad and needs to expand their vocabulary beyond ten words. The only thing really toned down at all was the gore and I'm sorry, but who in the flying **** cares? It was a bit over the top in the first game anyway, but honestly does it take away that much from the gameplay? From finding loot? Getting on multiplayer with friends or with people here? If it's ruining anything for you at all, then that's really sad.

So, she's that much of a "good girl" that she corrects herself for saying "crap". I'm sorry, but I give the writers of this game more credit than to make a decision like that - A majority of what's said is exactly as intended but the few lines that aren't are pretty cringe-worthy...

No. If you paid any attention to the story(at this point, it seems like the answer is a pretty apparent "no"), you'd see that her censorship was intended. One, because Handsome Jack says it multiple times in the game and in Echo recordings, and two, as a clue that she's human(well, Siren), not AI.
#28__Infernox__Posted 10/4/2012 7:20:00 PM
Thing is if you have a line with cussing in it either take it out or revise it completely - Don't be lazy and replace a word because then you get horrible lines in an otherwise fantastic script.

But I haven't seen any instances of this happe-

fantastic script

http://i.imgur.com/P0Rp8.png
---
Style and finesse.
http://www.youtube.com/theinfamousinfernox
#29Will414Posted 10/4/2012 7:22:35 PM
The language is all over the board in this game. Enemies that you encounter on a regular basis are called Badasses and your characters/allies will always call it out ("Badass approaching!").

As stated, Angel's self-censoring is a product of how Handsome Jack treated her. "Ah, ah! Language..!"

Claptrap both curses wildly and bleeps out the words.

Even if Mordecai yells "Screw you!" he also says, "Damn it!" and "Goddammit!" quite a bit.

If anything, changing up the words kind of makes the lines stand out. If it was non-stop cussing, it wouldn't be as charming as it is, but it also wouldn't hit the right notes without mature humor.
#30Brickcitychamp1Posted 10/4/2012 7:33:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]