The way they hold back with language is pretty disappointing. Yay for censorshp?

#71ToadwarttPosted 10/4/2012 10:15:18 PM
It's only censorship if someone else does it or forces it. When you do it yourself if a choice and that's what they chose they were not forced to go this route.
---
We are ATLAS!
Both consoles: 69 Mordecai, 69 Lilith & 69 Roland
#72Psych716Posted 10/4/2012 10:35:34 PM
Where do you get the stones to summon some kind of authorial intention?
pretty disappointing.
absolutely ridiculous (twice)
a significant distraction
painfully obvious (twice)
something on the level you'd hear on a Teen rated game
really sad to see
sad to see peoples' creative visions messed with in this manner
the people who wrote this stuff feel the same way
the original writers if they saw this thread would prolly give me a telekenetic bro-fist even though they would never say it themselves
The writers would want this said about the game"

All of them direct quotes. With, I believe, 2 additional variants on "The writers would want me to do this". Sure, you can sit here and pretend you're NOT taking issue with the censorship within the game, but no matter how many times you try to hedge your bets with crap like "it's not a big deal" or try to convince yourself that "well, this is just the wrong audience, cuz I'm writing something negative about the game and nobody wants to hear negative" the fact is you're just a troll. You will continue to be one until you logically address the arguments raised against your point. But you haven't--and possibly can't--because the arguments DESTROY your point.

You can complain about it all you want, but the fact is you're objectively wrong. The game was not censored. The lines are not some heinous affront to freedom of speech.
Angel was written to type, and mordecai didn't drop f-bombs in the first game either, so I don't know why you think they've suddenly somehow wrecked his character. I guess it's because you think the phrase "____ you" is somehow more popular or acceptable than the phrase "screw you". Which, again. Objectively wrong. Sorry bout your luck.
#73BlackWizardMagusPosted 10/4/2012 11:02:16 PM
Eh, I kinda agree with the OP about the word choice. Not that I want more swearing (less would be preferable), but that they occasionally match them up wrong. Like, Salvador, when he's bored, says "This is like watching skags hump". Now, I think it's pretty obvious that the concept is a bit gross, right? But then he uses the word "hump", when it seems like, with such an uncultered outburst, an f-bomb would have fit better. But then calling every friggin' thing "badass" seems excessive. The example of Mordecai is good, precisely because when people are THAT angry is when they STOP censoring themselves and lay down a carpet of f-bombs. It just seems like an odd choice, sometimes, enough to make raise my eyebrow and go "that was weird". That being said, Angel doesn't count, nothing was censored, and it's really not a big deal. I feel like there are alot of more signifigant problems in this game to complain about.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#74ZeroArcheryPosted 10/4/2012 11:10:14 PM
psnshade71 posted...
Anyone that thinks anything about this game is censored or kid friendly is severely f*cked up in the head.

---
"But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world."
- Joshua, The World Ends with You
#75Amine Hsu NekuchanPosted 10/5/2012 12:26:55 AM
Evidence Pookistan, Evidence.

Present real evidence, not just a "I feel this word wasn't harsh enough!" and I will get up on the soap box with you. If you can't present REAL evidence then STOP ASSUMING YOU KNOW WHAT PEOPLE DID OR DID NOT DO.

It's insulting to everyone involved in the game. It's insulting to the writers and the management. It's insulting to the fan. It show such a low level thought and contemplation it's insulting and painful to even read.

But seriously op. Hard. cold. evidence. Put up, or shut up.
---
"Traduce" in English means to expose to shame by means of falsehood; "Violate""Malign."
Nintendo does that too, only they call it localization.-NuoTrainer
#76POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 12:27:32 AM
psnshade71 posted...
Anyone that thinks anything about this game is censored or kid friendly is severely f*cked up in the head.

So why aren't the death animations as extreme as the first one?

And no s*** it's not kid-friendly which is why I'm asking why they bothered censoring it at all...

Really, the censorship doesn't ruin the experience by any means however its obviousness is distracting - More than anything, as I've mentioned, it's just sad to see the creative vision of people that make the game so unique messed with.

Also, the creative minds behind this wouldn't have censored it themselves but they have to answer to stockholders and a******* in business suits like everyone else. It's ironic how much corporate humor there is in this to have bureaucratic BS step in and leave their mark in the games' world...
#77POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 12:35:21 AM(edited)
*Message replaced by facepalm and a blinking sign that says "Check out the bolded message I posted earlier on..."*
#78KushuPosted 10/5/2012 1:28:31 AM
I've tried man, I really have. I want to understand. I would like to believe that an issue of censorship in videogame writing could be pertinent to me. But it's just not there.

Writing is re-writing. I'll put money on it that every piece of writing in the game has gone through at least 4 revisions. From the revisions done while the writing is happening to restructuring things to make more logical sense to a complete overhaul to spell-grammar-and-punctuation checking.

Nobody who writes would EVER be happy with the first draft. It doesn't work that way. Not for something like this, something that you care about. It's an art-form. You grow it. Shape it. Tweak it. Every word placed just so. Every word NOT chosen, a message. Even the tooltips seem well done The individual word choices strike me as fantastic. I can't think of a single moment in the game where I thought "wait...you need an extra word in there" or "wait...what? That doesn't hold logically."

This is VERY highly polished. This is not something they knocked out 2 hours before deadline. You seem to sense that the writers care about their craft. But if that's the case, why is it so impossible to believe that they placed those words of their own accord? By your own, bold-post logic, the initial line could have very well been "S!!!!!!!!!!" and the writers changed it to what we see in the retail version of the game.
#79Kraaven315Posted 10/5/2012 5:35:59 AM
POOKISTAN posted...
psnshade71 posted...

So why aren't the death animations as extreme as the first one?

And no s*** it's not kid-friendly which is why I'm asking why they bothered censoring it at all...

Really, the censorship doesn't ruin the experience by any means however its obviousness is distracting - More than anything, as I've mentioned, it's just sad to see the creative vision of people that make the game so unique messed with.

Also, the creative minds behind this wouldn't have censored it themselves but they have to answer to stockholders and a******* in business suits like everyone else. It's ironic how much corporate humor there is in this to have bureaucratic BS step in and leave their mark in the games' world...

I didn't realize that swearing was considered being creative.
#80Oeoeo23Posted 10/5/2012 5:55:26 AM
I could swear that Lilith says the f-word after you finish the cultist missions, something like "f****** cultists"

but I still haven't heard it clearly
---
Post pics or make me laugh. These are your only options.