What exactly is the point of having ARs in Borderlands?

#1GxgearPosted 2/3/2013 2:04:57 PM
Legendaries aside, they tend to have inferior stats across the board when compared to SMGs. The only redeeming quality to them are the Jacobs line for the high damage semi-autos, but Jacobs pistols will still outperform them. I feel like there's a design issue there in terms of an oversight in making assault rifles unique in its own way.
#2charondeathPosted 2/3/2013 2:12:26 PM
It has been observed before. An Anarchist pistol will have better stats than any non grenade non jacobs AR. Even having a higher magazine count.

Seeing as Gearbox can change stats on equipment, as shown with the bee patch, it would be nice if they would bump up a couple of stats on AR's.

I only use my AR's to finish the challenges. I'm currently finishing the crouching tiger challenge, then i'm selling it. They are entirely inferior.
#3VincentKryptPosted 2/3/2013 2:13:22 PM
It's backward from the first game. In BL1, ARs were very good & SMGs(other than Double Anarchys & Combustion Hellfires) were mostly inferior. But yeah, as a whole, they're not good in BL2.
---
I know the pieces fit cos I watched them fall away....
#4DeonSandersPosted 2/3/2013 2:13:32 PM
Ars were good weapons in the first borderlands but I can't understand why gearbox didn't put the same effort into them this time around.
---
I'm not part of the dark - I'm just deeper in the shadows
#5Joker0_0Posted 2/3/2013 2:14:06 PM
I like Torgue ARs but that's it.
---
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
#6Gxgear(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 2:16:34 PM
Joker0_0 posted...
I like Torgue ARs but that's it.

I could make a cup of tea before a bullet fired from a Torgue gun can reach its target :P
#7charondeathPosted 2/3/2013 2:25:08 PM
It was nice of them to make good pistols. But i Think they didn't really compare them to other weapons.

This game also lacks ammo regen which leads to an abundance of infinity users. Heck i have one of each variety. If gearbox is paying attention with its online stat tracker hopefully they recognize and understand why.
#8Imit8m3Posted 2/3/2013 3:30:17 PM
I switch to a vladof guerrilla when I run out of pistol ammo, but other that that.... There is no point in useing them, aside from challenges.
---
PSN. YURMOM8ME
"Who wants to get shot in the face!"
#9jeraste717Posted 2/3/2013 4:11:08 PM
I really enjoy the vladoff etechs, shreddy, and lead storm, otherwise unimpressed with the assault rifle options.
---
wait, what? psn: jeraste717
#10russellbaldwinPosted 2/3/2013 4:25:10 PM
I'm running an AR Axton right now because I love the Vladof etech Blasters. But even those and the Shreddifier are just on par with Infinities. Anarchists outclass them, and throw on a sherrifs badge and its not even close. If AR's simply had a sherrifs badge type relic they'd get more love.

I have something like 18 50's, and this will be the only one who uses AR's instead of pistols. I just needed some variety is why I made him
---
PSN = russellbald