How to edit more Golden Keys if you've used them all?

#1Jeff AndonutsPosted 9/20/2012 4:35:50 PM
So I edited the WillowDLC.ini to get more Golden Keys but I'm almost out of them and I want to know the steps for changing that value again.

Help appreciated.
#2boktai3Posted 9/20/2012 4:37:50 PM
Jeff Andonuts posted...
So I edited the WillowDLC.ini to get more Golden Keys but I'm almost out of them and I want to know the steps for changing that value again.

Help appreciated.

you know they are gonna be punishing for this right? possibly by removing all keys or all items gained.
#3sylverlololPosted 9/20/2012 4:41:52 PM(edited)
They won't be doing anything. It's a lose/lose situation for them. It's all for show at this point. They have to say they will do something to avoid complaints from the elitist "legit" players.

It's impossible for them to edit offline saves (and even then, all you have to do is turn off steam's auto update). That also potentially crosses some legal boundaries and whatnot.

Most likely, nothing will happen, and if it does...oh the ****storm that they make will be hilarious.

That being said, it looks like the .ini has already been patched so there isn't much you can do to give yourself more keys now.
---
"You need to get your point out in one or two paragraphs. This is a message board, not a therapy session." - TreGooda
#4someguy28898Posted 9/20/2012 4:48:53 PM
sylverlolol posted...
They won't be doing anything. It's a lose/lose situation for them. It's all for show at this point. They have to say they will do something to avoid complaints from the elitist "legit" players.

It's impossible for them to edit offline saves (and even then, all you have to do is turn off steam's auto update). That also potentially crosses some legal boundaries and whatnot.

Most likely, nothing will happen, and if it does...oh the ****storm that they make will be hilarious.

That being said, it looks like the .ini has already been patched so there isn't much you can do to give yourself more keys now.

I really don't think they're going to be able to do anything about it. If they did however, what "legal boundaries and whatnot" would they have to deal with?
#5EtharinPosted 9/20/2012 4:49:56 PM
someguy28898 posted...
sylverlolol posted...

I really don't think they're going to be able to do anything about it. If they did however, what "legal boundaries and whatnot" would they have to deal with?

None since its a Steamworks game and everyone accepted Steams ToS. If they don't want their files modified they have the option to never update the game.
#6Crimson_JesusPosted 9/20/2012 4:50:35 PM

You're not allowed to mess with people's files over the internet.
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#7Jeff Andonuts(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2012 4:52:31 PM
So there is no way to edit your keys?
#8DarkstaPosted 9/20/2012 4:55:17 PM
Jeff Andonuts posted...

Not anymore. It looks like they already did what they were going to do: stop people from adding more.

So yeah, enjoy the keys you have.
---
MM SF3: Black Ace FC: 442-599-525-414 Name: Metal Sonic
'Machines are the future...
#9Crimson_JesusPosted 9/20/2012 4:55:46 PM

I'd assume trainers still work if you're desperate.
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#10linkkhalid89Posted 9/20/2012 5:02:47 PM
Etharin posted...
None since its a Steamworks game and everyone accepted Steams ToS. If they don't want their files modified they have the option to never update the game.

This isn't strictly true. An agreement can be considered unconscionable, and there isn't a lot of legal precedent regarding shrink-wrap licenses or EULA for someone to make a claim one way or the other. If, for example, in the ToS for Steam, it wrote:

"by accepting these terms, you agree to give Valve and its partners full access to the files on your harddrive"

a court could still rule any such access illegal, the same way they would obviously rule a murder illegal if you were to accept a EULA that wrote:

"by accepting these terms, you agree that Valve can murder the **** out of you whenever it wants."

There are also certain rights that cannot be abridged, even in contract. The U.S. acknowledges most of these (though I believe they're saying "**** it all" to privacy). To summarize:

1) The contract could be determined unconscionable, but there has been no real legal precedent to decide on this vis--vis shrink-wrap licenses and EULAs

2) There are certain things that cannot be enforced by contract, period.

So it's not as though "but you agreed to it!" is a 100% foolproof fallback. Gearbox will still need to watch its step, especially with more sensitive issues like privacy.