Bioshock
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#22HyperShadow4321Posted 10/1/2012 7:14:14 AM
ZaruenKosai posted...
Berabouman posted...
I've tried Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect. They are more RPGish than FPS, and I think Stalker is more FPS than RPG. :)

I guess Borderlands is really the only one that blends the two genres huh?

*cough cough* ahem.... scroll up and read what i said... this is the only game that knows how to fuse those two genres to become a masterpiece. I would give more money for more dlc for this game

I'd say all of those games successfully blend RPG & FPS; however, Borderlands I would say is much more FPS than RPG, since all of the character development is really focused on combat skills. Fallout, TES, and Mass Effect have more RPG elements. BL1/2 don't really give me that feeling that "I am my character" and that I'm controlling his/her path in any clear way. It's much more linear & the choices are pretty much laid out for you, other than the occasional quest that lets you choose whether to take a certain item to Moxxi or Mordecai, or something else of that sort.

I can't think of any games off-hand that are really, really similar to BL's style though. If you haven't played the first one, then I'd definitely go back any play it. Otherwise, Fallout is the only game I can really think of that has a lot of running & gunning, RPG elements, and a vast wasteland style to it. BL is a pretty unique game, I'd say.
#23_Yag_Posted 10/1/2012 7:35:36 AM
viperesque posted...
The Mass Effect trilogy, if you haven't already played them.

I would agree with this. ME is the only game listed here that will give you the intense Action feel you get while playing BL. the other games are still amazing don't get me wrong, but ME is closest as far as gameplay goes. Fallout 3/NV are closest as far as environment go but the tone is different and generally enemies are pretty sparse. If you like stealthy sniping fallout is amazing though, its like...THE game for open world sniping imho.

really though you should play them all theyre all must haves for someone who loves games.
---
Archer: "ring ring.....hi planes? yeah, this is blimps.. you win"
Yagyujubei: 75 NIN/MNK/SAM/PLD/BLU Midgardsormr R.I.P
#24Devil_KnowingPosted 10/1/2012 7:37:32 AM
Dead Island is quite similar.
#25IsukunPosted 10/1/2012 7:39:26 AM
Don't know where people are getting the Mass Effect trilogy from on this one. Maybe for the first game where you actually had inventory management and a decent leveling system, but after that, the game stripped out pretty much all of the RPG elements to leave a mediocre TPS with dialog trees. After the first game, Mass Effect was pretty much the anti-Borderlands, any elements that made the games similar were purged.
#26_Yag_Posted 10/1/2012 7:40:58 AM
Isukun posted...
Don't know where people are getting the Mass Effect trilogy from on this one. Maybe for the first game where you actually had inventory management and a decent leveling system, but after that, the game stripped out pretty much all of the RPG elements to leave a mediocre TPS with dialog trees. After the first game, Mass Effect was pretty much the anti-Borderlands, any elements that made the games similar were purged.

oh so wrong
---
Archer: "ring ring.....hi planes? yeah, this is blimps.. you win"
Yagyujubei: 75 NIN/MNK/SAM/PLD/BLU Midgardsormr R.I.P
#27SilentHawk29Posted 10/1/2012 7:49:33 AM
Played one of the later Deus Exes, got killed early on, so I didn't play much further. I tend to suck at FPSes. It looked good though.

Played Bioshock, story and art direction is fantastic, not that many RPG elements though.

Played Vampire with the fan patch, one of my fave computer games of all time (helps that I like the original RPG) Can't wait for the MMO if it will be like the game, but that's off-topic.

Might check out Dead Island, I heard about it but I didn't know it was an FPS/RPG hybrid. Sounds promising!

If you have issues with Deus Ex, then I would avoid STALKER at all costs. It's a hell of a lot more difficult.
---
PSN - Srikar || WKC2 - Jinto
My car: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6095/54gencoupe.jpg
#28someguy28898Posted 10/1/2012 7:55:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#29AtmosOmegaPosted 10/1/2012 8:20:43 AM
It isn't very good (it plays like an unfinished beta), but there are some fair similarities between Borderlands and Hellgate: London.

Some.
---
If you don't like what a gaming company is trying to force upon you and the market, don't buy that company's games.
Cruel DRM can only flourish if you let it.
#30MarikhenPosted 10/1/2012 8:47:27 AM
BioShock isn't really an FPS/RPG hybrid like the Borderlands or Mass Effect series or Fallout 3/NV. It's more of a hybrid of FPS and Zelda/DMC games. If you're going to include it as an FPS/RPG hybrid you might as well include the Dead Space games.

Also Hellgate: London (and the Lost London and/or Revival mod projects) is probably the closest thing you'll find from modern games to a game like Borderlands. It goes a bit more into the RPG side of things with six classes, and two of those classes are melee-dominated, and fairly divergent playstyles between the three major class groups, but the core of the engine is FPS work.

Shops, monsters, experience and skill levels, stat placement, stat/level requirements on gear, weapon customization, multiple classes, skill trees, randomized loot drops, etc. It's closer to an FPS version of Diablo than anything else in terms of feel, but it's far closer to what the Borderlands games are than the Mass Effect or Fallout 3+ titles, Deus Ex Human Revolution (sorry, it's an FPS/adventure game like BioShock), BioShock (2), or any other title since probably the original Deus Ex.

On a side note if you consider playing Hellgate: Global bear in mind that it's an English port of a Korean port of the original Hellgate: London. It's got some interesting new features, but in the double port process a lot of Engrish crept in and several art assets were, in my opinion, royally screwed up. It's also been modified to work in the F2P MMO market even though it's about as much an MMO as Guild Wars.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.