The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

How to use shock weapons?

#1Darkcloud20Posted 10/9/2012 10:28:00 AM
So how do I use them. Their damage output seems to be pretty low except for some special once which all have negative side effects. I know that they are good ad damaging shields but so far I didn't find enemies with significant shield power.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#2cyborg99sreturnPosted 10/9/2012 10:29:38 AM(edited)
Shock weapons have no damage penalty except to Shock-enhanced enemies.
This means they will always do at least 100% damage. As opposed to Fire's penalty to shields or Corrosive's penalty to flesh(I THINK?).

EDIT: This means that a Shock weapon will almost always be a good choice, where as a Fire or Corrosive weapon notsomuch.
---
The metal blinds the eye of yet another lost existence...
#3Darkcloud20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 4:40:56 AM
Ah read it in the Borderlands wiki. It suffers 10% penalty against flesh and armor but Corrosive and fire suffer 20% from the ones they aren't strong against. But still the damage output of Shock mostly seems worse to me than it does with the other two. Maybe because the game has mainly flesh enemies where fire works well and the 20% penalty of corrosion is not that bad because you get 15% damage bonus on corroding enemies.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
http://www.last.fm/user/Darkcloud1987
#4stoned_pilchPosted 10/10/2012 5:02:55 AM
Shock does become a lot more useful in TVHM when more enemies have shields, but you'll still want to carry corrosive stuff for all those rawboots.
#5HaZZaRdbOyPosted 10/10/2012 5:18:01 AM
Get one of those area effect shock grenades. They do wonders since they just constantly hit the enemy like 3 times per second. I find them better then the fire ones.
#6noobkingthe3rdPosted 10/10/2012 5:28:24 AM
Aim at enemy. Left-mouse click.
---
" I'm not looking for help, I'm complaining. This is GameFAQs, isn't it? " -Shad0wflare
#7natchu96Posted 10/10/2012 5:44:31 AM
noobkingthe3rd posted...
Aim at enemy. Left-mouse click.

If I ever go Gaige, though, I think I'd just get that skill that causes a shock explosion by reloading . . .
---
Official Lopunny of the Black 2 Boar . . . wait, how did THAT happen?!?
#8Robtcee13Posted 10/10/2012 6:10:23 AM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Ah read it in the Borderlands wiki. It suffers 10% penalty against flesh and armor but Corrosive and fire suffer 20% from the ones they aren't strong against. But still the damage output of Shock mostly seems worse to me than it does with the other two. Maybe because the game has mainly flesh enemies where fire works well and the 20% penalty of corrosion is not that bad because you get 15% damage bonus on corroding enemies.

I'm pretty sure that for the other ones, using them wrong is something like a 50% damage penalty and a high chance to outright do no damage per shot. But, using them right is something like a 50% increase in the damage dealt. The proper elemental effect weapons are amazing if you find a good place to 'specialize'. IE, corrosive versus a big vs. Hyperion fight. So, shock's low-stakes, and the other two are high-stakes.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#9TheSocialBunnyPosted 10/10/2012 7:19:31 AM(edited)
Shock also has a much lower DoT duration and total tick damage than Corrosive and Fire (Corrosive has by quite a large margin the longest), however, the period in which it does take effect stuns an enemy by electrocuting them. This makes shock grenades, especially of the Tesla variety surprisingly effective as they provide consistent shock damage over a period of time and stun enemies from leaving the AoE.

One number crunch I've always wondered about though is if the Shock vs. Shield bonus is applied even past the point of a shield's capacity. For example, if you one shot an enemy with shields with a shock sniper, is it a flat bonus to the initial hit or does the damage get reduced once it starts biting into the health side of things? I haven't been able to boil a conclusion either way since the target practice guy at Marcus' doesn't have shields, but it's definitely something I'd like to know about. Logically, you'd think it only applies to the shields, but I've always found it surprisingly common to one-shot an shield wearing enemy with a shock sniper while not one-shotting pure fleshies, so it is a thought that has come to mind on occasion.
#10DifferentialEquationPosted 10/10/2012 7:36:16 AM
On my first playthrough, I didn't need to use shock weapons at all really. In fact, I pretty much just use corrosive and non elemental.. However, they seem to be almost necessary on TVHM.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.