The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

I don't understand how fight for your life works

#1SplifPosted 10/10/2012 12:38:45 PM
Some times it lasts a long time 3 clips 2 reloads and you can get the 2nd wind, other times it is so quick it barely lasts one clip.

It's annoying because when I'm close getting the 2nd wind i just runs out within seconds
---
There is no settling down! This is blood for blood and by the gallons. This is the old days, the bad days, the all or nothing days. They're back!
#2cyborg99sreturnPosted 10/10/2012 12:40:33 PM
If you keep dying in a short time, it gives you less and less health.
The loading screen will tell you
---
The metal blinds the eye of yet another lost existence...
#3dorimePosted 10/10/2012 1:11:53 PM
Does anyone know the exact time it takes for FFYL stacks to "expire"? It seems like a couple minutes at the least, because I've had FFYL last like one second even though the last time I was downed was in a fight a couple minutes beforehand.
---
\.../\.../
#4Robtcee13Posted 10/10/2012 1:29:14 PM
My only theory, which feels consistent most of the time, is that you have FFYL health that regenerates while you aren't down, very slowly. When you drop into FFYL again, you have your remaining health. So, if last time it was a really close call, then you can expect to die very quickly if you get downed again. This has been consistent throughout Borderlands 1, but I don't think this is the case in BL2. In BL1, there's the issue of enemies that actually deal direct damage to your FFYL health and such. In BL2, it might just be a stacked debuff or something, since I know I've gotten really close calls. I just don't remember going down right after them.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#5MarikhenPosted 10/10/2012 1:45:31 PM
cyborg99sreturn posted...
If you keep dying in a short time, it gives you less and less health.
The loading screen will tell you

Firstly that loading screen tip is only useful for people with systems slow enough to actually be able to read the text on them. I've noticed more than a few recent games that rarely ever give you enough time to read those tips because data loads too fast. :-/

Secondly it's not a second wind problem as it's a FFYL problem he's having, and I've noticed a problem with Fight for Your Life myself. I don't know if it's the same thing the OP is seeing, but I've noticed that it repeatedly ends early. I can still have like 5-10% of the countdown bar remaining and my character will just up and die on me.

Now I can kind of understand multiple consecutive deaths causing the timer to count down faster (which isn't the same as the screen tip you're describing), but that doesn't explain why it just prematurely ends with a sizable portion of the bar remaining.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#6guncaddyPosted 10/10/2012 1:58:55 PM
Could it possibly be you simply hit and held e for a second instead of r? (Use, or e by default makes you give up if held down for a second.)
---
Pretty pretty is the horsey who hath drunken the magic tequila
#7DuDuDu10101Posted 10/10/2012 2:08:53 PM
you actually have health still in FFYL

so if the enemy keeps slapping you as you're down, your bar zips away as if it never existed
---
*slaps TC with a raw chicken*
This will continue until you make proper gamefaqs messages.
#8MarikhenPosted 10/10/2012 7:37:22 PM
guncaddy posted...
Could it possibly be you simply hit and held e for a second instead of r? (Use, or e by default makes you give up if held down for a second.)

Given that I rebind Use to space and all of my movement keys are on the mouse or ASDF row or "higher" it's incredibly doubtful.

DuDuDu10101 posted...

so if the enemy keeps slapping you as you're down, your bar zips away as if it never existed

That's not something I've noticed. Having that bar zip away when it's the last 5-10% and I'm not being shot, however, I have noticed.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#9Robtcee13Posted 10/10/2012 7:48:04 PM
That's not true. You're completely invincible when you're downed. The problem is, there's stuff covering the bar and it's just not clear how empty it is.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#10CaterwaulPosted 10/11/2012 7:46:49 AM
DuDuDu10101 posted...

Absolutely not true. Going into an area with three Badasses knocking me immediately into FFYL, I can tank them all the way to the bar's emptiness.

...It's the reason why the FFYL mode is absurdly broken in this game, often, it's better to incap yourself for the sake of not being knockback'd and not taking damage, and getting the bonus health and shields for Second Wind.

OT: Like others have said, each subsequent death over a set amount of time will reduce the duration of the next FFYL. It's like, dying two minutes apart will give you a 10% reduction, while dying 30 seconds apart will give you a 50% reduction (making up numbers to make a point). Over time of not dying, your FFYL will go back to full duration.