Why can't I find any decent assault rifles?

#1SobeNoFearPosted 10/20/2012 10:26:09 AM
I'm playing through my first game as a commando, I'm level 31, getting pretty close to the end of the game (at least I think I am) and I haven't had used an assault rifle in ages, they seem to just be awful with specs that are way worse than the pistols I'm finding.

For example, right now, when I find a decent Jakobs pistol, it does around 450 damage with mid 90's accuracy. Now, when I'll find a green Jakobs AR around my level, they will have mid 90's accuracy, but less than 300 damage, and it's a single shot just like the pistol. It seems like the only time I find a decent AR, it's a Vladof, but I don't really like to use those all the time because the shots have longer travel times.

Am I just super unlucky? Or am I misinterpreting the role of assault rifles in this game? I feel like an AR should do more damage than a pistol, with a 80-90 accuracy rating. Yet in this game it seems like AR's are completely outclassed by pistols. The one advantage they seem to have (larger mag size) doesn't offset the abysmal damage rating compared to the pistols.
#2glory of power metalPosted 10/20/2012 10:32:16 AM
Same issue, I've hardly any worthwhile assault rifles as a Commando. Fortunately, you don't even get worthwhile skills to increase their damage so there isn't a reason to use them outside personal preference. Don't know if level has anything to do with it, but the best assault rifles I found were towards the end of the game at around you're level. Got one that behaved like a grenade launcher, shooting projectiles, that did 2k damage with Jakobs 'fires as fast as you can pull the trigger' and a couple miniguns with elemental effects that did like 600-700 damage with 10 fire rate and 100 bullet magazines.

I'd say you aren't missing much. Keep using whatever's good.
---
QT x314159.
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#3ShinesmanOWPosted 10/20/2012 10:44:09 AM
I've found some level 50 combat rifles that have been pretty decent - one I found a long time ago was a 6k damage, 10 rate of fire, fairly accurate, scoped slag "assault rifle" style. I've been using a 4.5k damage, 10 rof, 90ish accuracy scoped acid "assault rifle" style for my fights against Hyperius, and it's a blue, so there have to be better ones out there.

The semi-auto Jakobs rifles just take too long to reload to be useful. The rocket rifles are sometimes decent, especially against shielded nomads. The grenade rifles are good for Gaige.

Been a long time since I've seen a decent minigun-style rifle. They're desperately in need of larger magazines, and the only C-mag miniguns I've seen have all had pathetic damage and terrible accuracy.
#4PijinzPosted 10/20/2012 6:56:55 PM
I didn't find a single decent AR through the whole game and then just had a great one drop off Saturn TVHM. Over 5680 damage Vladof with Corrosive and a scope. It eats through loaders.

Generally I found a lack of suitable mid-range weapons all through the game due to the SMGs and Rifles very rarely having a scope. Something like the common Cobra class in BL1 would have been ideal.
#5AlleRacingPosted 10/21/2012 5:44:50 AM
IMO, Torgue and Vladof make the nicest assault rifles. Vladof makes great, more traditional ARs, while Torgue's pack a massive punch with lower accuracy, projectile speed and fire rate. Dahl can make some pretty damn good rifles though, found a Dahl mini gun that fired a 9 round burst in a very small amount of time.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#6Your_SeraphimPosted 10/21/2012 9:51:40 AM
Main problem I see with the assault rifles in this game as opposed to the assault rifles in BL 1 is the lack of scopes and that Hyperion does not manufacture any. Although the Hyperion weapons in this game seem to be lacking some serious luster.
---
The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse would be pretending it wasn't awesome...
#7WhiteNutsPosted 10/21/2012 9:54:37 AM
I tend to favor SMGs over ARs overall, but there are some pretty good ARs out there. I've recently found a Vladof Shock Blaster e-tech and it actually makes a very good replacement weapon for my Plasma Caster in case I run low on ammo.
#8DredjPosted 10/21/2012 10:42:30 AM
Unfortunately good AR's are pretty rare in this game, they are either semi-auto or projectile based like a Torgue or that weird 1 that's like a grenade launcher, and when you do find a regular firing AR they are usually considerably weaker.

Because of this, on my Axton I mainly use Shotguns, and even finding a good Shotgun can be just as hard as finding an AR. For example, "Fire as fast as you can pull the trigger" and the gun only holds 2 shells and consumes 2 shells when fired. You can find a Shotgun with a million damage but can only fire once gets outclassed by a shotgun with 250k damage but can fire 4 times.

The only weapons I consistently like are Pistols and Sniper Rifles.
#9PijinzPosted 10/21/2012 11:00:20 AM
Dredj posted...
For example, "Fire as fast as you can pull the trigger" and the gun only holds 2 shells and consumes 2 shells when fired. You can find a Shotgun with a million damage but can only fire once gets outclassed by a shotgun with 250k damage but can fire 4 times.

The high damage, low clip size, fast reload shotguns have a purpose. As Zer0 they're usually the best way to exit deception. And if you're in a situation of one shot = one kill (which is often the case with such shotguns) then the reload interrupt doesn't matter quite as much. I find shotguns to be one of the better handled weapons, as there can be a difference even between models of the same manufacturer.

I agree though, pistols and snipers are a lot easier to find. The snipers in particular are way better than in BL1. But I've always found a lack of mid range weapons. Through most of the game you either need to be in their face (in which case a pistol or shotgun is more appropriate) or you need a sniper to be accurate.

In BL1, I seem to remember all the weapons were a lot more accurate. Maybe I'm making that up. I seem to remember that hip-fire was actually viable with a lot of weapons. It's not just accuracy or recoil. Specifically, I remember the recoil recovery was a hell of a lot faster. Most weapons seem to be infinitely better when iron-sighted in this game.
#10MindersPosted 10/21/2012 11:08:57 AM
Pijinz posted...
Dredj posted...
For example, "Fire as fast as you can pull the trigger" and the gun only holds 2 shells and consumes 2 shells when fired. You can find a Shotgun with a million damage but can only fire once gets outclassed by a shotgun with 250k damage but can fire 4 times.

The high damage, low clip size, fast reload shotguns have a purpose. As Zer0 they're usually the best way to exit deception. And if you're in a situation of one shot = one kill (which is often the case with such shotguns) then the reload interrupt doesn't matter quite as much. I find shotguns to be one of the better handled weapons, as there can be a difference even between models of the same manufacturer.

I agree though, pistols and snipers are a lot easier to find. The snipers in particular are way better than in BL1. But I've always found a lack of mid range weapons. Through most of the game you either need to be in their face (in which case a pistol or shotgun is more appropriate) or you need a sniper to be accurate.

In BL1, I seem to remember all the weapons were a lot more accurate. Maybe I'm making that up. I seem to remember that hip-fire was actually viable with a lot of weapons. It's not just accuracy or recoil. Specifically, I remember the recoil recovery was a hell of a lot faster. Most weapons seem to be infinitely better when iron-sighted in this game.

Let's not forget anarchy Gaige
---
"homer the lord only asks for one hour a week" -Marge
"in that case he should have made the week an hour longer..." -Homer (GF)