Tediore's business practice

#1ShadowFoxhoundPosted 11/13/2012 8:34:37 AM
Tediore's sales pitch is that they can get you the means to defend yourself and still have enough money to buy other good stuff. Basically, the cheapest gun available in the competitive market of weapons. Surely they are still making profits because they are still operating well but what baffles me is that the customer pays only once for the gun and yet the company has to continuously supply their customers through digistruct tech due to the disposable nature of their product. Most of their customers are unlikely to be collectors but adventurers who reload a lot so the cost is going to pile up. What was Tediore thinking!
#2NicoGrimmPosted 11/13/2012 8:40:22 AM
I kinda assumed that Tediore guns take so little to manufacture, that all of the digistruct models are already factored into the cost. Likely even leaving a nice profit for Tediore.
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!
#3Bisected8Posted 11/13/2012 8:48:42 AM
Technically we don't know anything about how much digistruction costs; Scooter seems pretty blasť about having the digistructs of his cars blown up.
---
Having to explain your joke doesn't make it clever, but having to have a joke explained to you doesn't make it unfunny.
#4TheMightyOakPosted 11/13/2012 8:56:53 AM
Safe to say digistruct is a much cheaper means of production than modern industrial techniques. Thus Tediore runs a low cost high volume approach a la walmart and has small margins and strong utilization of economies of scale(maybe not considering they might not even have factories). Of course if digistruct is so cheap, everyone should be using it unless it is patented or there is a strong fixed cost associated with the conversion to digistruct factories.
#5NicoGrimmPosted 11/13/2012 8:58:46 AM
Safe to say digistruct is a much cheaper means of production than modern industrial techniques. Thus Tediore runs a low cost high volume approach a la walmart and has small margins and strong utilization of economies of scale(maybe not considering they might not even have factories). Of course if digistruct is so cheap, everyone should be using it unless it is patented or there is a strong fixed cost associated with the conversion to digistruct factories.

Everyone IS technically using it though, right?
I always assumed the Weapon/Ammo/shield machines operated off the Digistruct technology.
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!
#6ShadowFoxhound(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 9:26:44 AM
Yeah, all vending machines use digistruct tech. I remember Scooter asking me to get some parts for him through the bounty board in the Scarlet DLC to keep Sanctuary afloat. He told me that he would pay me upfront because he trusts me even though the parts would digistruct to him in a week give or take. So clearly bounty boards also benefit from this tech.

Still, you gotta wonder how cheap does Tediore make their weapons so they are able to make a tidy profit given that they installed elemental tech on their guns which I take is expensive. There are many adventurers who are more likely to early reload without emptying the clip. What's to stop a customer from abusing the feature and just throw Tediore guns for fun at cans since it's automatically replaced. Also not to forget that digistructing might have some sort of fee. No way such a wonderful tech is free. Perhaps it has an attached fee depending on the item sent based on its mass or composition. So guns get huge fees. All of those things are gonna cost Tediore.
#7NicoGrimmPosted 11/13/2012 9:29:13 AM
Logically, yes. But, Tediore wouldn't be in business if they lost more money than they gained.
And, seeing how brutally cutthroat the world of Borderlands is, there is no possible way they'd be around if they lost even a penny.
---
#8Bisected8Posted 11/13/2012 9:48:40 AM
Maybe Tediore only sell the template and it's the user who bears the cost of the digistruction (all Vault Hunters digistruct their equipment from storage decks and Gaige doesn't seem to have any trouble creating digi-splosions and claws). Sort of like digital distribution, except with tangible products.

It's just that Tediore have a patent on the "digistructs a replacement" technology (or are the only ones who use it because of their business model).
---
Having to explain your joke doesn't make it clever, but having to have a joke explained to you doesn't make it unfunny.
#9JimiMorrison187Posted 11/13/2012 10:53:17 AM
It's magic. /end topic
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/ripvanwallace/SCAN001.jpg
#10ShadowFoxhound(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 3:29:29 PM
I wouldn't go as far as magic though digistruct tech may be considered magic for those uninitiated. But we are initiated aren't we, Jimi? XD

I guess we just need to meet with Tediore's CFO in a DLC to see how are they doing it.