The reason the Bee is (was) so popular...

#1SeegteasePosted 11/13/2012 6:22:14 PM
...isn't because the Bee is too powerful, it's because the other shields don't offer anything compelling.

Spike Damage and Nova Damage? Did they even program these things with TVHM in mind? If you're getting hit in melee tactically speaking, you're probably going to be dying. Yeah, they can be fun for a melee built, but ultimately they are not very compelling stats.

Boosters interfere a lot with effective fighting, and now that amp damage (even in non-bee situations, just regular amp shields) doesn't work with shotguns, it becomes absolutely terrible. Bullet absorption is not that good since hyperion robots (and other things too) don't fire actual guns, making them useless. Roid damage is a novel concept, but not very useful for the majority of situations.

A good 100k capacity shield might be compelling, or a 50k capacity with a really good rate/delay. But they don't exist.

Shield selection sucks, which is why everyone uses the Bee. The Bee didn't need to be nerfed (the only nerf I think was somewhat acceptable was the synergy with shotguns). Other shields need to be buffed.
#2CorkadilePosted 11/13/2012 6:47:07 PM
I think both are the case. The Bee seriously needed a nerf.
---
This guy is not what he pretends to be. He's the Devil.
#3Seegtease(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 7:11:23 PM
Corkadile posted...
I think both are the case. The Bee seriously needed a nerf.

I would have been happy if they just, I dunno, halved the damage, or even lowered it to a third. Making the recharge delay so high makes this nearly unusable unless you use someone else to take all the shots for you.

Thing is, all shields are nearly unusable now. They just suck compared to what you face up against.
#4ultronPosted 11/13/2012 8:14:35 PM
It's easier to nerf something than it is to balance everything else.
That's why so many devs choose to nerf the most widely whined about content rather than making other things more usefu/appealing.
#5LobsterDandyPosted 11/13/2012 8:22:17 PM
ultron posted...
It's easier to nerf something than it is to balance everything else.
That's why so many devs choose to nerf the most widely whined about content rather than making other things more usefu/appealing.

Takes less labour, too.
---
I believe in Artemis Hound & John Magnum
The heroes 215 deserve.
#6borochadwicsaysPosted 11/13/2012 8:55:04 PM(edited)
Does this mean the Skullmasher is useless with the Bee now? I won't be able to score 50K x 5? Or the Maggie for 50K amp damage x 6? I know shotgun pellets don't count, but do multiple bullets? Moreover, if we're going to be real strict about amp damage, I should get that bonus for every bullet used when I fire. If a SMG takes only 1 bullet per shot, it could do less damage than another one that takes 2, but overall be more useful because it could do DOUBLE the total amp damage with the same amount of ammo. There's lots of little specifics that you can spec your character to take advantage of the amp damage, and I want to know how it will work now. With the Bee, is fire rate now king? Or multi-bullet shots? Or single bullet, multi projectile?

They didn't probably think about these things and how specific builds use them because it was just easier to nerf the one item everyone complains about. I'm miffed. It seems like they just did the easy thing to do instead of actually balancing their game. The Bee introduced whole new builds and strategies, because raw gun damage became obsolete. You could focus on fire rate or shields to balance it's low capacity or to up the DPS. And it was all just there, in-game. There are cheats and mods and glitches and black weapons everywhere, but they basically focused on one thing, and took a whole strategy away from players... and why?

So now it takes 5 minutes longer to kill a boss who probably won't drop ANYTHING useful for me, considering I can somehow kill him solo and probably have great gear anyways. So what, what did we accomplish? Online is FULL of all the Legendaries you want, or just ask on this board. You can still dupe or mod whenever you want. I just want to be able to play solo, man, without mods, using my hard earned Bee and CC. I do not want to ruin your game. Were all the Legendaries flooding the game economy and ruining it? NO. So what positive effort did this accomplish in reality, other than take away a whole facet of character development at end-game? It hurts a group's ability to make choices and enjoy the game they paid for, to play solo if they want or to make different builds, while providing zero benefit to another group who was pulling for it to happen. Pulling for it because of what... morals?
#7xfyrenxPosted 11/14/2012 12:12:12 AM(edited)
Pulling for it because of what... morals?

No, because they thought it ruined their fun, so they had to ruin everyone else's. Good job guys, now I can waste more time on annoying bosses.
---
Don't worry; your manhood will be safe even if one of the PCs in the next game wears pink. Get over it. - EvenSpoonier
#8Matty_G33Posted 11/14/2012 12:32:08 AM
Considering The Bee was basically required to kill the DLC raid bosses, they should have toned them down a bit at least.

I know they did it for Normal mode by lowering their level, but now they made it so they don't even drop the damn Crystals (if they weren't useless enough already) unless you're in TVHM.
---
You hop around trying to click on the bad guy's head before he clicks on yours first. ~Interrobangin, on CS:GO
#9HellFireXSPosted 11/14/2012 3:41:01 AM
borochadwicsays posted...
Does this mean the Skullmasher is useless with the Bee now? I won't be able to score 50K x 5?

My skull masher now does less damage (120k) with all 5 bullets hitting the target dummy than my purple jakobs sniper rifle does with each bullet (175k).

So yeah I wont be using my skill masher anymore its easier to hit with one bullet and does more damage now.

On a side note my 64k (I cant remember the exact number) amp damage bee is now like 43k and it has a 6+ second delay instead of like 3.5 or 4 it had so yep nerf'd.
#10EtharinPosted 11/14/2012 7:39:19 AM
I'm so glad that the bee was finally nerfed I might start playing again. Without a significant nerf like was done any future DLC bosses or content would have just been impossible to balance since you could just 2-5 shot any and everything and have almost no challenge.