Borderlands MMO, would you play it?

#1SeegteasePosted 12/1/2012 10:00:56 AM
Persistent massively populated worlds, probably multiple planets, proper raids (instanced, likely) and balanced.

Would you play it?
#2CreepGnomePosted 12/1/2012 10:02:49 AM
No.
---
Ma-shi-nuh, because there's no such thing as a "correct" way to pronounce things.-zero7717 on pronunciation of Machina
http://i.imgur.com/eJDEa.png
#3PijinzPosted 12/1/2012 10:11:02 AM
Dunno about a Borderlands MMO per say, but... would I like a game combining the persistent world and cooperative multiplayer of an MMO with a more procedural itemisation system like Borderlands? Yeah, it could work. But like the closest thing so far would be Hellgate: London, and that was rubbish.
#4Modu2k4Posted 12/1/2012 10:47:49 AM
Yeah but Hellgate was a new, untested IP. Borderlands is already established. If they kept the current game structure pretty much the same and just added persistent worlds and other base mmo staples, they might just have something...

Mind you, on that note, I would never pay for a borderlands mmo. Hell, I'll never pay for an mmo again, period.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#5Link_JPosted 12/1/2012 12:13:56 PM(edited)
Q) Borderlands MMO, would you play it?
A) leaning toward yes.

Q) Persistent massively populated worlds
A) leaning toward that as a pro.

Q) probably multiple planets
A) I say no to this.

Q) proper raids (instanced, likely)
A) For my money the further we can get from DikuMUDs the better.

Q) and balanced.
A) Laughing out Loud No! Whomever makes the Borderlands MMO should make the playable classes intentionally unbalanced and play that for humor factor.

Q) persistent world
A) then all the chests would always be open.

Q) cooperative multiplayer
A) No I think pvp should be something like AI controls critters, froobs control expendable bandits, paid accounts control persistent vault hunters.

Q) procedural itemisation system
A) yes please. "itemization"

Q) the current game structure
A) To this I have formulated a wonderful answer which this text field is too small to contain.

Q) persistent worlds and other base mmo staples
A) if the player community does not have agency to establish lasting change by their in game actions then their choices are meaningless and the game looses a potential for a certain type of fun.

Q) I'll never pay for an mmo again
A) agreed. I had a thought though, paying money gives you a NewU contract.

Q) alternate question: If the powers that be released a mod that let the game as is be ran with dozens or hundred of player controlled vault hunters run around in the same zone at the same time... EXPLOSIONS?!
A) additional thoughts:
persistant worlds, the expendable bandits would have to reach and close a chest in order to 1) refill it for looting and 2) to bank points toward some kind of reward.
bandits would be given the mission "Replace this exploding barrel" or something.
I envision each paying player chooses one weapons manufacturer as their patron. Each company specializes in just four weapon types out of the six. 15 companies would be needed to cover all possible choices. You share any money/ammo pick ups with anyone else with the same backer in the same zone, each person receiving the full amount as it is in borderlands 2 multiplayer.
Your choice of patron weapons manufacturer controls where on Pandora that character starts, the path they take through points of interest on the planet, the overall story they get told, what costume pieces are forbidden by company policy in the construction of your character's appearance, the specific locations of fast travel and newu stations
Oh yes, please a costume creator at least as feature rich as the one for champions Online.
there was something else but RL Strikes argh!
#6funkyfritterPosted 12/1/2012 1:53:45 PM
No, I like being individually powerful.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#7anonymous46773Posted 12/1/2012 4:29:20 PM
No.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#8Matty_G33Posted 12/1/2012 4:50:43 PM
Supposedly Firefall is meant to be like a MMO equivalent of Borderlands or something. I do have a beta key used up, but I have never actually played or even installed the game.
---
What lies beneath?
Spikes do!
#9Seegtease(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 5:48:39 PM
Link_J posted...
Q) persistent world
A) then all the chests would always be open.

Have you ever played a MMO with chests? Because they work.

I'm really curious as to why people really wouldn't want to play it, and I bet if it actually came out, they would play it. But it's cooler to say "no".
#10trunks76140Posted 12/1/2012 7:18:13 PM
I think it really depends on various things and how they do it. They already have a bit of of the systems in place with a quest system and multiplayer. If they just changed it a populated world with groups and left everything else as it is now, I don't know if I would.

However, if they could work out some things I could see Borderlands working as an MMO without a lot of work and I would definitely give it a try.