Not sure what to think of this game

#11XKaliburPosted 1/25/2013 2:08:50 PM
Viper114 posted...
Yes, as much as I WANT Star Citizen, it's still too far off. This game is out not, and it's working to scratch the itch.

I'm still waiting for GOG to get X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance. We'll see if it ever happens because trying to DOS box them never works well for me.

Someone mentioned the similarity (glaring, really) between this and Silpheed. You can pick up Project Sylpheed for the 360 pretty cheaply and it's a decent shooter. The emphasis on loadout is more striking, as you can screw yourself with a bad loadout in it.
---
This has been Fisting 101 with Bastard Poetry.
#12Kak WormPosted 1/26/2013 6:47:09 AM
XKalibur posted...
Viper114 posted...

I'm still waiting for GOG to get X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance. We'll see if it ever happens because trying to DOS box them never works well for me.

Never used GOG before...

But how do those titles being on GOG help with compatibility issues?
---
GFWL / SteamID: TheBorkenOne
#13XKaliburPosted 1/26/2013 6:37:26 PM
They do all the work of optimizing it to run and emulating it.
---
This has been Fisting 101 with Bastard Poetry.
#14jetfire911Posted 1/27/2013 6:51:40 PM
tasadar24 posted...
I supported the Kickstarter because I figured, "why not".

After getting the actual game... I dunno, I was expecting tighter controls and more enjoyable dogfighting. That and I just can't seem to get the whole "unloading woop-ass" on enemies down with the strike-suit.

That's my initial thoughts after getting to the strike suit. Thoughts, people?

I was really confused in the BETA as to what to do with the Strike Suit, but I have really gotten the hang of it. Basically fly in close to your target and lock missiles and fire cannons and stuff just disappears. Then hit some fighters to recharge and do it again.
#15Lord of NightmaresPosted 1/28/2013 11:53:28 PM
The Strike Suit's decent although it's the definition of a glass cannon.

I just wish it was capable of taking down larger capital ships faster, it's tough trying to get into range to lock on with my missiles, only to seemy shields get stripped in record time by flak.
#16ZeroHieiPosted 1/29/2013 1:21:33 AM
You're getting too close then. You can lock on at around 3000 range, which is far enough to not get mauled by flak. The only things that really outrange (and outgun) the Strike Suit's missiles are Black Fleet Corvette beam turrets.
---
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, those who don't, and those who weren't expecting a base 3 joke.
#17Fearless_SonPosted 1/29/2013 2:32:39 AM
I am enjoying it. However, I think that it is one of those games that you really have to give it some time and learn to enjoy it. Once you get a handle on it, it starts feeling really fun, because by that point you are no longer just going through the motions, but getting really good at playing efficiently and racking up the points. It feels really bad ass when you can time everything just right to pick off a few enemies, then annihilate the rest of them in one sweeping broadside.
#18Lord of NightmaresPosted 1/29/2013 3:16:18 AM
ZeroHiei posted...
You're getting too close then. You can lock on at around 3000 range, which is far enough to not get mauled by flak. The only things that really outrange (and outgun) the Strike Suit's missiles are Black Fleet Corvette beam turrets.

Gotcha, thanks for that tip.

My other complaint though is that you're able to lock onto the same target multiple times in excess of the amount of damage that it's capable of withstanding, wasting Flux in the process. I wish it was such that if a target such as an Interceptor can be destroyed with 2 missiels, then that's the maximum number of times that you can lock onto it, and you'll then know to switch targets after that.