Anyone Done Mission 10 (The Black Fleet) Yet?

#1Lord of NightmaresPosted 1/31/2013 9:16:45 AM
I'm at the final bit where the Arcadia takes on the command ship of the Black Fleet which is accompanied by 2 Frigates.

I managed to destroy the 15 Missile Interceptors, then proceeded to shoot down the torpedoes launched by the two Frigates while the Bombers slowly took them apart. For some reason though, within the first 20 or so seconds after the Bombers warp in, the Arcadia's armor is reduced by roughly half, and I have no idea what could cause this much damage as I'm certain that I took out all the torpedoes before they could reach it.

I did defend the ship long enough for the Frigates to get blown up, then I took out the Flak Turrets on the command ship but shortly after that, the Arcadia was destroyed and I failed the mission, which was incredibly frustrating as the command ship was very close to getting taken out as well.

Does anyone know how to go about this section? It's just ridiculous as you have to complete multiple objectives, protect the Arcadia *and* there are no checkpoints in-between. I honestly have no idea as to how the developers expect you to realistically complete this bit *and* prevent the Arcadia from taking too much damage considering that your squadmates are absolutely useless.
#2XKaliburPosted 1/31/2013 10:38:00 AM
I'm still on Mission 8 as I haven't had time to sit down and devote myself to the game ina few days. That said, outside of stopping torps, did you try taking out any of the plasma guns on the frigates? How about beam cannons on the opposing cap ship? Any corvettes in the area? I'm just tossing out anything I can think of right now.
---
This has been Fisting 101 with Bastard Poetry.
#3Lord of Nightmares(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 6:39:10 PM(edited)
The command ship is well out of weapons range while you take on the two frigates, I think if it joined the battle then I'd have lost the mission in 20 seconds flat considering the Arcadia going up against all 3 Black Fleet capital ships simultaneously would be suicide as I'm pretty much the only one defending it. X_x

Same with the frigates actually, both of them aren't able to hit the Arcadia with their beam turrets, but they launch 8 torpedoes at regular intervals, and several Interceptors and Missile Interceptors back them up at any one time. It's basically just a game of taking down the torps and any fighters that harass your ship while your bombers slowly dismantle the frigates.

But still, it's just weird that the Arcadia's armor would suddenly get reduced by half in a matter of seconds, it's happened to me twice now and I made absolutely certain that none of the torpedoes got through nor were the frigates hitting the ship with their forward beam cannons. It's going to be fun if it turns out that the Missile Interceptors (I'm not sure what makes these different from regular Interceptors) are capable of firing rockets or torpedoes at close range as well.

Oh, and there aren't any corvettes in this section, although the very start of the mission has you going up against well over a dozen of them, which further confuses me. It's not fun having to replay this entire section, which alone took me nearly 20 minutes.
#4XKaliburPosted 1/31/2013 7:39:24 PM
I've noticed sometimes that when I replay certain sections, armor on ships will be set to values that don't necessarily match what they were at the start of a segment.
---
This has been Fisting 101 with Bastard Poetry.
#5Lord of Nightmares(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 5:01:30 AM
Just an update, but I somehow managed to complete the mission, *and* I got a Gold Medal to boot. O_o

Yeah, you were right, it turns out that destroying the forward beam turrets on both frigates actually helped somewhat as both ships eventually moved into firing range after a certain amount of time had elapsed. As a result the Arcadia actually took slightly less damage before I engaged the command ship, and so I was able to complete the mission with the Arcadia having about 4-5% armor remaining.

By comparison, Mission 11 was a *lot* simpler and I got a Platinum Medal on my first attempt, although I was 29 seconds (AARRRGGHH!!) short of unlocking the Shield Upgrade (you need to complete the mission within 15 minutes).

Now on to Mission 12, the penultimate one. It looks *really* interesting considering what I'm going up against. :D
#6Lord of Nightmares(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 9:17:39 AM
X_x

Erk, completed Mission 12 and got a Platinum on my first attempt as well, and assumed it'd be smooth sailing from there.

Failed miserably in Mission 13, the timer is absolutely unforgiving considering the distance you have to traverse and the fact that even the slightest bump instantly reduces your shields to zero. It's almost as though there's no other option but to use your thrusters for this final stretch, which is just nuts considering the confined space you're in. Oh, and zero checkpoints, that's a load of fun.

I'll try attempting it again when I'm mentally prepared, at least the mission provided a whole ton of major revelations which kept things interesting.
#7-aumaan_anubis-Posted 2/1/2013 9:47:02 AM
btw if you want the bonus objective for mission 10 so you unlock the upgrade I strongly suggest picking the bomber and use the torpedoes to snipe all the big threats really fast...

That way the Arcadia should stay above 70% health.. just keep track of the enemy torpedoes while at it..

Oh and i personally choose a
x4 seeker loadout so you can spam those to take out all the small fighters...
(plus missiles refill fully when you die and restart at a checkpoint.. so letting yourself die right after a checkpoint can be helpful for ammo this way)
#8ZeroHieiPosted 2/3/2013 7:20:46 AM
Failed miserably in Mission 13, the timer is absolutely unforgiving considering the distance you have to traverse and the fact that even the slightest bump instantly reduces your shields to zero. It's almost as though there's no other option but to use your thrusters for this final stretch, which is just nuts considering the confined space you're in. Oh, and zero checkpoints, that's a load of fun.

Yup yup. I did this mission using the shortest route possible (destroying the core only), thrusters every straight I came across, and I STILL managed to miss the timer by 7 seconds. It's insane.
---
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, those who don't, and those who weren't expecting a base 3 joke.
#9Lord of Nightmares(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 8:25:38 AM
ZeroHiei posted...

Yup yup. I did this mission using the shortest route possible (destroying the core only), thrusters every straight I came across, and I STILL managed to miss the timer by 7 seconds. It's insane.

If you can believe it, I actually destroyed the 3 Limiters *and* damaged the core sufficiently, and had about 22 seconds to spare, unlocking the final Energy and Strike upgrades in the process but it was *hell* as I was using my thrusters at every available opportunity (even around corners and narrow stretches) and took a ton of damage in the process as I had to force my way through the defense beams near the end to save on time.

However, this somehow resulted in me getting a rather bad ending and no medal. Apparently, I'm supposed to complete the whole sequence of events with a couple of minutes or so to spare if I'm to get the best ending.

Quite seriously, I don't know how the developers expect any lowly human to pull this off, I'm not sure if even a bot could accomplish this monumental feat.
#10ZeroHieiPosted 2/3/2013 8:43:54 AM
I tried my best not to smack into the wall... guess I might as well :/
---
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, those who don't, and those who weren't expecting a base 3 joke.