HOMM 3, 4, or 5?

#1Nightshade5797Posted 1/16/2011 3:46:26 AM
I have to ask. TLDR: Which is best for a new player?

I'm a new HOMM player, haven't ever played one before. I did play King's Bounty: The Legend, and AP. Both of those were amazing, and seem to have similar gameplay to this. So here I am.

From what I gather, III is supposed to be the best, yet IV lets your heroes fight on the field and has more RPG elements. V is the newest but the gameplay has been dubbed down in favor of nicer graphics.

Having no experience, I'm not really sure which one would represent the best gameplay. I think IV might be good, but seeing a complete lack of "Let's Plays" leaves me wondering maybe I'm wrong. That and the board is completely dead.

Thanks ahead of time for any help,
#2AtombenderPosted 1/16/2011 8:50:30 AM
3 is the best for both new and seasoned players ;)

---
Corbon440
#3CamdenPosted 1/16/2011 10:42:26 PM
Heroes 3 > Heroes 5 > Heroes 4, and I've never played Heroes 5 but I'd hate to think it was as disappointing as Heroes 4.

If you want Heroes 3 but with heroes taking part in the combat and more rpg elements, might I suggest Age of Wonders? I don't like it as much as Heroes 3 but the original Age of Wonders was great.
---
BlAcK TuRtLe, *****es! Yeeeeeehaaaaw!
#4TerotrousPosted 1/17/2011 12:47:20 PM
Heroes 3 and 5 are very similar gameplay-wise. You can probably start with either.

Based on my limited experience with the game, I found Heroes 5's campaign to be a fair bit harder than Heroes 3, but this may be because I have a lot more experience with Heroes 3.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat classic games!
Last game uploaded - PSX Pocket Fighter
#5PyroxenzPosted 1/17/2011 4:41:29 PM
I don't particularly like H5's storyline (largely due to how annoying I find the protagonist, Zehir to be), but it does have some really epic and challenging boss fights which can take up to 15 mins to resolve.

And my personal ranking would be 3>5>4, which I believe is the general consensus on this board. All three are great games, though H4 is let down by poor AI. You need to play user-designed scenarioes which has in-built scripts/ events to boost the AI to really appreciate the game.
---
Burning with anger, the ArchDevil hits the Archangel for 150% damage.
#6Demon HunterXPosted 1/24/2011 8:46:42 AM
3 >>>>>> 5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4

if including 2 put it close, but ahead of 5
---
Currently playing: SC2, Civ 5
Next up: eh ; Awaiting: meh
#7TerotrousPosted 1/24/2011 10:56:12 AM
I would put 5 ahead of 2. There's really no reason to play 2 once you have 3, 3 is basically just 2 plus a lot more of everything. There are more differences between 3 and 5, even if 3 is better overall there's more reason to play both.
---
Last game uploaded - DOS Jazz Jackrabbit
#8PetzePosted 2/7/2011 12:34:22 AM
what is wrong with heroes 4?
---
BAGH! Only 23 metres!
#9Demon HunterXPosted 2/7/2011 8:38:41 AM
I would put 5 ahead of 2. There's really no reason to play 2 once you have 3, 3 is basically just 2 plus a lot more of everything. There are more differences between 3 and 5, even if 3 is better overall there's more reason to play both.

just because there is more of a reason to play both 3 and 5 instead of 3 and 2 doesnt mean 5 is better than 2.
---
Currently playing: SC2, Civ 5
Next up: eh ; Awaiting: meh
#10TerotrousPosted 2/8/2011 8:44:58 AM
just because there is more of a reason to play both 3 and 5 instead of 3 and 2 doesnt mean 5 is better than 2.

For its time maybe not, but for a player just getting into the series now there's not much point playing 2 anymore.
---
Last game uploaded - N64 Mario Kart 64