So no magic in this game?

#1TeepoPosted 5/12/2012 5:57:00 PM
I know you pick between the two protagonist, but im a big fan of magic and I feel without that tie in, i'll find myself hating the game despite its epic story, also i remember a interview mentioning their are those specializations that have a more supernatural line of abilities, please elaborate as it might be the only other aspect that will satisfy me.

I haven't read the books and i don't have premium cable so I don't watch the show, a old friend of mine was a fan though of the books and i've come to respect his interest in such matters so I'd like to play the game and catch some of the thunder he says exist in the written form.
---
Teepo, the Dark Dragon of Destiny.
#2FoofyheadPosted 5/12/2012 7:58:34 PM
Tie in to what? The books and show don't have magic.
---
Do it right the first time.
#31-chomePosted 5/12/2012 11:35:23 PM
there is magic/sorcery/supernatural stuff but relatively limited compared to other fantasies. It is almost non-existent in the first book...we only get like two incidents of magic and even then it is nothing breathtaking.
---
Good.
#4curious_deadPosted 5/14/2012 9:00:08 AM
1-chome posted...
there is magic/sorcery/supernatural stuff but relatively limited compared to other fantasies. It is almost non-existent in the first book...we only get like two incidents of magic and even then it is nothing breathtaking.

Well, itís breathtaking in a sense because there isnít much magic to begin with, so when magic stuff happens, it hits harder.

But there arenít fireball-throwing wizards in this series (at least not so far!), it isnít the Dungeons and Dragons kind of magic.
#5MEFreak1984Posted 5/14/2012 11:40:33 AM
In the books and show, it's almost like supertition more than anything. The only exception was in last nights episode in Qarth. I won't spoil it, but it was AWESOME!
#6KefkatheClownPosted 5/15/2012 5:34:37 AM
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would think this game would have magic, considering the setting is so mundane and realistic.

I mean, just the other day, I sat in the middle of a two-story tall raging inferno while receiving visions from my animal guide while intangible clones of myself went out to fight the raging hoards of the undead.

Later, I may or may not have given birth to a shadow monster.

Magic indeed!
---
I will be neither chivalrous nor sporting.
If I have an unstoppable superweapon, I will use it as early and as often as possible.
#7tomo012Posted 5/15/2012 7:15:26 AM
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would think this game would have magic, considering the setting is so mundane and realistic.

Magic indeed!

I think a lot of people tend to go the magic route in games because it makes the game easier for them to play with minimal effort compared to physical melee fighters.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, various Final Fantasy games, Witcher 1 and 2, KoA, Dragon Age to name a few become broken when a player focuses heavily on magic. Nothing wrong with that as it is just an observation over my years of playing various RPGs.
#8Teepo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2012 11:27:34 AM
tomo012 posted...

Magic indeed!

I think a lot of people tend to go the magic route in games because it makes the game easier for them to play with minimal effort compared to physical melee fighters.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, various Final Fantasy games, Witcher 1 and 2, KoA, Dragon Age to name a few become broken when a player focuses heavily on magic. Nothing wrong with that as it is just an observation over my years of playing various RPGs.

That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. 9/10 times games are designed with a melee fighter type in mind when it comes to RPG's, a Spellcaster is more than likely used for Support/Backup Ballistics, and usually have the lowest physical presence in the game (Low defense and HP usually?), and the only thing they can do in compensation is burn things with a limited amount of resources usually called magic points or mana or whatever have you. I kind it hard to believe that being a mage through and through the easier path, especially when most battles require the enemy to circle and close in on you. No game with wizards in it to this day that i've played has given me the option to steamroll 10/10 battles. I've died more as a mage simply because i was swarmed/jumped as oppose to a rogue or fighter who can fight their way out of nearly any situation no matter how bad it looks.
---
Teepo, the Dark Dragon of Destiny.
#9SymphonicRainPosted 5/15/2012 11:37:07 AM
Teepo posted...
That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. 9/10 times games are designed with a melee fighter type in mind when it comes to RPG's, a Spellcaster is more than likely used for Support/Backup Ballistics, and usually have the lowest physical presence in the game (Low defense and HP usually?), and the only thing they can do in compensation is burn things with a limited amount of resources usually called magic points or mana or whatever have you. I kind it hard to believe that being a mage through and through the easier path, especially when most battles require the enemy to circle and close in on you. No game with wizards in it to this day that i've played has given me the option to steamroll 10/10 battles. I've died more as a mage simply because i was swarmed/jumped as oppose to a rogue or fighter who can fight their way out of nearly any situation no matter how bad it looks.

I've only played Demon's and Dark Souls from the games listed, but magic does indeed turn those games into easy mode.
---
Lord Gargalen once told me he hoped to die with a sword in his hand, to which I replied that I would sooner go with a breast in mine.
#10DimlhugionaPosted 5/15/2012 11:34:45 PM
Most final fantasy games only use magic for plot points and gimmick fights (ie, "THIS boss is immune to physical damage, and THIS twin boss is immune to magical damage! Fight them together!"). The rest of the time, magic is really only useful for support/healing.

Late-late-LATE in the FF games, magic can become broken if utilized in proper combos, but for the most part you're better off spending the time/effort/money/etc. getting better swords and armor. You'll hit faster, you'll hit more consistently, and you'll take less damage.
---
The above post was typed in front of a live studio audience.