Finally, a strong Black woman as the main lead!!!

#51Gmoney-Posted 10/5/2012 1:55:18 PM
hijokaiden posted...
Gmoney- posted...
Canadian here. Don't know much about slavery besides us trying to help people

LOL, aren't "Canadians" french immigrants? Because the french played a big role in the "traite négrière" and it was certainly not to "help people".

No. We are much more diverse than that. Not to mention our ONLY french province wanted to seperate from us like 20 years ago.

I don't know much all I know is our little Canadian heritage videos when I was growing up would show some black people being smuggled into Canada and eventual freedom or something.
---
All we ever see of stars is their old photographs.
PSN/XBL/MGO: RzaRecta357
#52ArayzielPosted 10/5/2012 4:16:54 PM
MyMentorSnake posted...
jayj420 posted...
BryanPS360 posted...
This topic annoys me.
I mean honestly, who gives a ****?
Her race won't have any impact on the quality of the game.

I can tell why it annoys you because it annoys me too.

What I hate about this character being a "strong black woman" is the fact that I feel like she is being used simply for the political correctness of it. It's like they are trying to act like they are being "progressive" by doing this, but doing so utilizes the most backwards, racist and sexist thinking around.

The only thing I hate more than blatant racism and sexism is when people exploit someones sex and race in a vain attempt to make themselves look better, and that is what I am seeing here. I see it all the time in politics and mass media and I can't stand it. People think they are being progressive by doing this when in reality all they succeed at is driving us further apart through emphasizing our differences and making us think we need to focus on them.

Nice speech but the reason why this game is praised so much is because of its diversity. You have Arabic, Italian, Chinese, now African thats in the mix. No offense but most games out today are generic (dominantly Caucasian). Its as if there are no African Americans nor Hispanics living in the USA. Now that we have a assassin thats a freedom fighter, that would catch a lot more people attention. Just like Sheva Alomar in Resi Evil 5. I love the game regardless but adding her is a major bonus. Diversity brings in more to the series.

I read the other day that Morgan Freeman made a comment that made me think. He said he wish that we stop Black History Month. And i agree with him, fact being we are segregating ourselves from the others of this country. We shouldnt address ppl as''that black guy'' or'' that white woman'' but address one as'' brilliant young man'' or'' nice young lady''

How about... youths
#53hijokaidenPosted 10/6/2012 12:06:42 PM
Gmoney- posted...
hijokaiden posted...
Gmoney- posted...

LOL, aren't "Canadians" french immigrants? Because the french played a big role in the "traite négrière" and it was certainly not to "help people".

No. We are much more diverse than that. Not to mention our ONLY french province wanted to seperate from us like 20 years ago.

I don't know much all I know is our little Canadian heritage videos when I was growing up would show some black people being smuggled into Canada and eventual freedom or something.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/08/16/tasha-kheiriddin-in-quebec-xenophobia-is-alive-and-well/

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/15/quebec-mayor-slams-algerian-born-pq-election-candidate-theyre-going-to-make-our-culture-disappear/

http://www.hopesite.ca/remember/history/racism_canada_1.html

The USA was created by English people from England, Brazil was created by Portugese, Canada was created by the French, so how are Canadians not french?
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#54XxIamKiraXxPosted 10/6/2012 11:53:52 PM
I love the AC series, so of course I'll get this. I don't care whether or not the/a protagonist is black/white or Turian. My concern is that, like p2 did with Heller and inFamous 2 with Nix, they're going to make her a stereotype.
#55Gmoney-Posted 10/7/2012 8:27:53 AM
Gmoney- posted...
hijokaiden posted...
Gmoney- posted...

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/08/16/tasha-kheiriddin-in-quebec-xenophobia-is-alive-and-well/

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/15/quebec-mayor-slams-algerian-born-pq-election-candidate-theyre-going-to-make-our-culture-disappear/

http://www.hopesite.ca/remember/history/racism_canada_1.html

The USA was created by English people from England, Brazil was created by Portugese, Canada was created by the French, so how are Canadians not french?

Like I said... We're diverse as hell. Go to our capitals it's mainly ethnic people.

Most French is in Quebec and non quebeccers think they're hillbilly

In fact we call Quebec French hillbilly French.

Yes it's our second language but were much more diverse than that. That is why we rock.

Hell, I was born in Canada without a single bit of French.
---
"Nothing is true.Everything is permitted."
#56hijokaidenPosted 10/7/2012 9:43:54 AM
Gmoney- posted...
Hell, I was born in Canada without a single bit of French.

Where in canada? What's your ancestry?
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#57Gmoney-Posted 10/7/2012 10:41:16 AM
Elliot Lake Ontario. Half German, half Scottish.

Now I live in Sudbury.
---
"Nothing is true.Everything is permitted."
#58hijokaidenPosted 10/7/2012 2:57:03 PM
Gmoney- posted...
Elliot Lake Ontario. Half German, half Scottish.

Now I live in Sudbury.

Okay, I don't know much about the Celto-Germanic history of Canada, when Canada is usually mentioned in the news, in the TV shows etc... it's usually in reference to the French Canada.
---
#59DemiFistPosted 10/8/2012 1:32:41 PM
jayj420 posted...
BryanPS360 posted...
This topic annoys me.
I mean honestly, who gives a ****?
Her race won't have any impact on the quality of the game.

I can tell why it annoys you because it annoys me too.

What I hate about this character being a "strong black woman" is the fact that I feel like she is being used simply for the political correctness of it. It's like they are trying to act like they are being "progressive" by doing this, but doing so utilizes the most backwards, racist and sexist thinking around.

The only thing I hate more than blatant racism and sexism is when people exploit someones sex and race in a vain attempt to make themselves look better, and that is what I am seeing here. I see it all the time in politics and mass media and I can't stand it. People think they are being progressive by doing this when in reality all they succeed at is driving us further apart through emphasizing our differences and making us think we need to focus on them.

You sir are correct.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#60MagsMpPosted 10/9/2012 2:51:38 PM
The ethnicity of characters in this series or any other really doesn't even phase me. A strong character is a strong character. Altiar had one Muslim parent and one Christian. Ezio was Italian but I'm sure what else, Connor who is half-British/ half-Mohawk and now Aveline who is French/ African. So far, Ezio has been the character I emphathize most and not because of three game of exposure. It is because his story was compelling. Connor's story will be compelling because we will see his pain unfold and I hope we see the events that lead to Aveline joining the Assassins.

This game convince me it was time to get a VIta so I have the bundle pre-ordered.