VF5FS or DOA5? which will be best? why?

#1Icy-XPosted 5/6/2012 5:48:13 AM
I've always liked vf a lot. It is sad that vf5 didn't sell well enough to have a decent online community. 90% of the time I'd try to play there was no one online and other 10% of the time it wouldn't be more than just a few people tops.... Not much for diversity in matchups when playing same people always.... All in all I never felt like I could get solidly into vf5 due to lack of players.

On the flip side, doa4 is a terrific fighter as well and older and still much more people play it. So that became my main fighter of choice.

Alright now we got doa5 coming and vf5fs. I'll probably will go with just one of them but I love both a lot. So the deciding factor for me I think will come down to simply which game will be better? From my experience with both, I haven't been able to justify either being better than the other and that, at least for doa4 and vf5, they are equally as good of fighters in their own rights. Great balance and depth. If any thing, maybe vf requires even more skill for high lvl play, but I find that subjective....

So I ask.... In your unbiased opinion, what will be/is better? Why? (Specific details why please)
#2ioteh_shingoPosted 5/6/2012 5:55:49 AM
IMO it is VF5:FS, why? Well I haven't tried DOA5 demo so I can't judge yet lol.
---
GT: ioteh shingo
SSF4: Adon, Abel, Dudley
#3BJW1990Posted 5/6/2012 8:20:42 AM
Icy-X posted...
I haven't been able to justify either being better than the other and that, at least for doa4 and vf5, they are equally as good of fighters in their own rights. Great balance and depth. If any thing, maybe vf requires even more skill for high lvl play, but I find that subjective....

I can't say for VF, because I've never played it, but DOA4 is an unbalanced mess with hardly any depth to it. Don't get me wrong, I love DOA4 and have been playing it for the past two and a half years now, but I can't deny that it's littered with problems.

Even the DOA community hates DOA4.

That being said, I'm still picking up DOA5 at launch, but I'll have to wait and see if people are even aware that VF5FS exists before I buy it. It seems that popularity for VF5FS is non-existent, and I don't want to buy it only to never play it, because the online is dead.
#4RabitePosted 5/6/2012 8:40:24 AM
From the looks of it DoA5 is a massive overhaul of the game. They've toned down the breasts, combat looks tighter, and I think they'll probably make counters harder to time so it's not a counter fest. That being said I'm going with VF5.
---
What's a rabite doing in a place like this?
If all else fails use fire - Zelda 2
#5Icy-X(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2012 5:48:08 PM
BJW1990 posted...
Icy-X posted...
I haven't been able to justify either being better than the other and that, at least for doa4 and vf5, they are equally as good of fighters in their own rights. Great balance and depth. If any thing, maybe vf requires even more skill for high lvl play, but I find that subjective....

I can't say for VF, because I've never played it, but DOA4 is an unbalanced mess with hardly any depth to it. Don't get me wrong, I love DOA4 and have been playing it for the past two and a half years now, but I can't deny that it's littered with problems.

That being said, I'm still picking up DOA5 at launch, but I'll have to wait and see if people are even aware that VF5FS exists before I buy it. It seems that popularity for VF5FS is non-existent, and I don't want to buy it only to never play it, because the online is dead.

You're joking right? I've been playing doa4 for over 7 years. The game isn't unbalanced, has a lot of depth, and there really isn't any serious issues.... So I'm left thinking you're either trolling or if you're serious, then you seriously don't know what you're talking about.
#6BJW1990Posted 5/6/2012 7:22:26 PM(edited)
Icy-X posted...
BJW1990 posted...

You're joking right? I've been playing doa4 for over 7 years. The game isn't unbalanced, has a lot of depth, and there really isn't any serious issues.... So I'm left thinking you're either trolling or if you're serious, then you seriously don't know what you're talking about.

Go to any fighting game community and they'll tell you that the DOA series is a joke. Go to any DOA community and even they'll tell you that DOA4 is a joke.

Here's one such thread on the subject
http://freestepdodge.com/threads/why-do-you-guys-hate-doa4%C2%BF.466/

Like I said, I still love DOA, but I don't let that love blind me from it's problems. DOA5 is the last hope for the series to be taken seriously. It will either finally put the series on the map, or finally kill it for good.
#7Icy-X(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 12:33:10 PM
BJW1990 posted...
Icy-X posted...
BJW1990 posted...

Go to any fighting game community and they'll tell you that the DOA series is a joke. Go to any DOA community and even they'll tell you that DOA4 is a joke.

Here's one such thread on the subject
http://freestepdodge.com/threads/why-do-you-guys-hate-doa4%C2%BF.466/

Like I said, I still love DOA, but I don't let that love blind me from it's problems. DOA5 is the last hope for the series to be taken seriously. It will either finally put the series on the map, or finally kill it for good.

You're funny.... What problems does it have exactly? I seriously don't understand.... Feels like you're just trolling the thread... I welcome you to detail such problems that tu claim it has. Like saying it isn't balanced isn't good enough. How isn't it balanced cuz it sure as hell seems to be to me. So Yeah some really explained details to back up your claims or stfu.
#8BJW1990Posted 5/7/2012 1:32:58 PM
Icy-X posted...
What problems does it have exactly? I seriously don't understand.... Feels like you're just trolling the thread... I welcome you to detail such problems that tu claim it has. Like saying it isn't balanced isn't good enough. How isn't it balanced cuz it sure as hell seems to be to me. So Yeah some really explained details to back up your claims or stfu.

Did you even see the link? It details the mechanical problems with the game. As for the balancing, that would relate to the characters.

Most competitive DOA players will agree that the 4 ninja characters are OP, though some will argue that Hayate sucks, but he's still usually rated as the fourth best character. Jann Lee, SPARTAN-458, and Helena are not as good as the ninjas, but leagues better than most of the other characters. Brad Wong is so bad that most tier lists have placed him in his own crap tier all the way at the bottom. Bayman, Bass, Tina, and especially Christie are awful. Lisa is very slow and extremely predictable/easily countered. The tengu has the smallest movelist in the game, and the majority of his moves are high attacks, making it very difficult to perform successful mixups, rendering him very predictable and easily countered. The only thing going for the tengu is that he's rarely seen, so many players simply don't know how to fight him most of the time, but this would only be advantageous in online play.

The rest of the characters in between are not as bad, but are still generally far apart from eachother. Gen Fu and Kokoro are fairly good. Leon doesn't have much going for him. Eliot and Leifang are decent. Hitomi is debatable.

I don't know why you're being so defensive. It was never meant as an attack, I was just stating a generally agreed upon consensus in regards to DOA4. If you enjoy the game, that's fine. Keep playing it. I love it too and encourage people to play it because it's still fun, but it will never be a respected fighter as it is. DOA's mechanics need to be massively overhauled to make it a deeper, more competitive tournament fighter.

But this thread has gone way off track now. Let's get back to the original purpose. Which game do you all think will be better? DOA5, or VF5FS? How well do you guys even think these games will sell?
#9peat_bog60Posted 5/8/2012 8:07:25 AM
I'd guess VF5:FS, but I would say that coz I'm a MASSIVE VF fanboy.

That being said, I'm still gonna get both. I know a lot of people look down on DoA but I find it a lot of fun, an aspect of gaming that seems to gets over looked by a lot of "hardcore" gamers these days.
#10FF_FinisherPosted 5/8/2012 1:45:43 PM
Icy-X posted...
BJW1990 posted...
Icy-X posted...

Icy-X , its better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt....
---
Waiting for: The Last Story, The Last Guardian, Ni no Kuni, Tomb Raider, FF Versus XIII, FF Type-0, FFX HD, VF5:FS, DOA5, TTT2 and P4 Arena.