The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Any tips for beginners?

#1WarVeterinarianPosted 5/22/2012 8:49:24 AM
I never played SMNC and am currently downloading this on Steam.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people say about SMNC being TF2 meets DotA and had a baby, so I became interested in trying this out. I'm pretty good with TF2 but I suck really bad at DotA and any of its variants. I do, however, like the mechanics of DotA (or LoL, HoN, whatever) and am looking for games like it.

If this tells you anything about my play style, my top classes in TF2 are Engineer, Medic and Spy (by top I mean what I score the most points with) and my favorite DotA heroes are Crystal Maiden, Lord of Olympus and Dwarven Sniper.

Back to the question. Any tips you can offer a beginner, such as what class & items to start out with, general gameplay mechanics, etc. ?
---
I am a signature virus, please put me in your signature to help me spread!
#2EddMarioPosted 5/22/2012 11:55:04 AM
Haven't played DotA before, but I have seen gameplay for it and I gotta say this game is more like TF2 meets League of Legends. If you've played the original Monday Night Combat, then you'll do just fine in this one.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D51qi-ogjYE
#3WarVeterinarian(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2012 8:26:58 PM
Never played LoL but a friend told me that it's almost identical to DotA in terms of mechanics and gameplay. It's by the same guys even.
---
I am a signature virus, please put me in your signature to help me spread!
#4lv54spacemonkeyPosted 5/23/2012 2:53:02 PM
Kill bots. Don't ignore them. If you have a chance to get the Annihilator then go for it. Kill enemies when you can because it weakens the opposing teams push but don't ignore them bots. Start with Megabeth or Assault to learn the ropes. If you find a class you like buy it so you can use it when the free ones are all taken. Storm that moneyball as soon as it drops. Also, eat bacon.
---
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/lvl54spacemonkey/Tink.gif Le 360 generale. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000325-xbox-360-general-social
#5Sliq6969Posted 5/24/2012 6:38:01 AM
Stay near teammates, don't chases enemies, kill bots, buy bots, defend the annihilator.

Bot kills are more important than pro kills, and the only reason to kill enemy pros is to keep them from killing bots.
---
stop denying the fact
#6TruthtelaPosted 5/24/2012 1:09:55 PM
Kill bots, and don't try to rambo.
---
How's your muffin?
#7MowDownJoePosted 5/29/2012 5:00:11 PM
I'll just tell you what the game told me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MowDownJoe/screenshot/541802236139360334
---
Now doing crappy Let's Plays! Give them a watch, will ya?
http://www.youtube.com/user/mowdownjoe
#8KuronoaPosted 6/18/2012 1:29:12 AM
WarVeterinarian posted...
I never played SMNC and am currently downloading this on Steam.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people say about SMNC being TF2 meets DotA and had a baby, so I became interested in trying this out. I'm pretty good with TF2 but I suck really bad at DotA and any of its variants. I do, however, like the mechanics of DotA (or LoL, HoN, whatever) and am looking for games like it.

If this tells you anything about my play style, my top classes in TF2 are Engineer, Medic and Spy (by top I mean what I score the most points with) and my favorite DotA heroes are Crystal Maiden, Lord of Olympus and Dwarven Sniper.

Back to the question. Any tips you can offer a beginner, such as what class & items to start out with, general gameplay mechanics, etc. ?

Things you should do:

Farm
Farming is simple: kill bots, get gold. You want to get as much gold as possible because this game's entire method of map control revolves around spending gold. You use gold for buffs. You use gold to spawn bots. You use gold to activate the Annihilator. The more gold you farm, the better off you'll be. The other two prominent ways of gaining gold is killing Chickey Cantor and Bullseye. The former nets you gold for your whole team, the latter leaves a trail of gold behind the more you smack him up.

Spend Gold
Once you gain gold, spend it. If you're sitting at $4000, you're doing it wrong. Buy something based on the situation at hand. If your bots are pushing hard, buy more bots to add the pressure. If the Annihilator is up and you got $1000, activate it. If you find platform boosters, buy them so you can use them. There's really no such thing as a bad buy in this game, rather, each one is situational. Ultimately it boils down to map control. The more money you spend, the more of the map you control.

Always Kill Bots...Always
No matter what, if you aren't on the verge of death and you see a wave of bots, kill them. This let's you get more gold to spend, it prevents your waves from being pushed, and it allows you to push the enemy turrets. You NEED bots to down turret shields so you can destroy them, and you NEED bots to make the enemy moneyball vulnerable.

Annhilator
Always memorize the location of the Annihilator in each map. The Annihilator is a game-changer. Nukes all enemy bots, hits pros hard. This is the Roshan, this is the Baron of the game, this is what both teams will struggle for. It costs $1000 to activate it and has a long cool-down time. It also takes several seconds for you to activate it (meaning, your pro will be defenseless when doing so). Never leave this unchecked. Ever.

That's the basics of what I can recommend. Other than that, just play different pros to see who you like and whatnot. I'm sure they already have guides online involving optimal play somewhere on this here cyberspace.
---
DivineDragoonKain: Your wizard is a Magikarp, only instead of evolving into Gyarados it turns into Mewtwo.