The answer to this question will determine if i play it for years... Or a day.

#1meteor6666Posted 3/28/2012 8:34:10 PM
Will there be a game mode or dungeons that are infinite in length? I have read that dungeons are not randomly generated to that gives the the fear that the levels are limited..... And that means that equipment will stop scaling at the last floor. I love games that give random rewards based on luck and go on forever so ill occasionaly play the flash game the monsters den (found on armor games).
---
PSN- XxWormholexX - vvvOutdatedvvv
Currently Playing- http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=5043625
#2Sn0o0zePosted 3/29/2012 12:49:01 PM(edited)
You should check out the official forum, I've read at least one comment from the devs saying they gave it a try in the early stages but it wasn't good enough, though "in the future it's definitely something they'll look into".
---
You know Grady, some people think I'm overprepared, paranoid, maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any precambrian life forms, did they? - Burt Gummer
#3KthulhuXPosted 4/1/2012 6:58:28 AM
One of the developers posted:

"We already have a random map generator, but it's really crude version from way back when we tested various things like random maps. But that didn't work that well with handcrafted puzzles. Random map generator and level editor are definitely something we'll look into in the future."

Another posted:

"Some of us here at AH are big fans of roguelikes so it's quite possible we'll explore these options with LoG or some other project... I think the best approach with puzzles would be to combine predefined puzzles and level chunks with randomly generated stuff."

Some thoughts from some of the fans, in support of the decision to go with hand-crafted dungeons as opposed to randomization:

"From what I understand (which admittedly isn't all that much) procedural generation doesn't lend itself overly too well to things like involved puzzles and other complicated and imaginative role-playing elements."

"I personally prefer hand crafted stuff in games like this. I mean, I do enjoy rogue-likes and stuff like that too, but I think when a game is really hand crafted the developers can really give a better feeling of atmosphere, exploration, and delving into a real dungeon."

I personally tend to agree. Handcrafted dungeons can be created to make sense in a way that randomized ones never will. I'm an old school tabletop RPG player, and I've seen a few "Randomized Dungeon" products, and they never compare to decent dungeons that have actually been planned out. Now it's true that I seriously doubt that Legends of Grimrock will be able to stand up to something like Rappan Athuk, but I'd like it to make more narrative sense than, say, Dungeon Hack.

A good discussion of drawing dungeons can be found on http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=12181. Yeah, it's focused on tabletop RPGs, but the same concepts can apply to computer dungeon crawls.
#4meteor6666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2012 2:48:02 PM
Well then I hope that is handcrafted dungeons are to be a feature in the far future, we should be able to download the parts online and sort them with popularity and such. Would be a great asset to this game.

Now I just gotta hope for an endless dungeon; item scaling; player status scaling mode.
---
PSN- XxWormholexX - vvvOutdatedvvv
Currently Playing- http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=5043625
#5kpearwutPosted 4/4/2012 6:30:19 AM(edited)
KthulhuX posted...
One of the developers posted:

"We already have a random map generator, but it's really crude version from way back when we tested various things like random maps. But that didn't work that well with handcrafted puzzles. Random map generator and level editor are definitely something we'll look into in the future."

Another posted:

"Some of us here at AH are big fans of roguelikes so it's quite possible we'll explore these options with LoG or some other project... I think the best approach with puzzles would be to combine predefined puzzles and level chunks with randomly generated stuff."

Some thoughts from some of the fans, in support of the decision to go with hand-crafted dungeons as opposed to randomization:

"From what I understand (which admittedly isn't all that much) procedural generation doesn't lend itself overly too well to things like involved puzzles and other complicated and imaginative role-playing elements."

"I personally prefer hand crafted stuff in games like this. I mean, I do enjoy rogue-likes and stuff like that too, but I think when a game is really hand crafted the developers can really give a better feeling of atmosphere, exploration, and delving into a real dungeon."

I personally tend to agree. Handcrafted dungeons can be created to make sense in a way that randomized ones never will. I'm an old school tabletop RPG player, and I've seen a few "Randomized Dungeon" products, and they never compare to decent dungeons that have actually been planned out. Now it's true that I seriously doubt that Legends of Grimrock will be able to stand up to something like Rappan Athuk, but I'd like it to make more narrative sense than, say, Dungeon Hack.

A good discussion of drawing dungeons can be found on http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=12181. Yeah, it's focused on tabletop RPGs, but the same concepts can apply to computer dungeon crawls.

huh? that thought process is the reason why randomly generated technology will never become developed. Randomly generated gameplay is what can make replay value infinite and it should continually be developed so it can be refined into something great. The day that randomly generated dungeons or whatever gives a similar feel to human crafted levels will make it great. even if it never matches what a human can do, which it won't, at least it will increase replay value.