If I liked Etrian Odyssey, will I like this?

#1TatsuSuouPosted 4/6/2012 2:29:02 AM
That's really the only first person dungeon crawler I've played and I love it. Will I like this? It looks interesting and a lot of fun.
---
Feel The Ether
http://backloggery.com/Mayadome
#2StycklesPosted 4/6/2012 3:12:34 AM
Grimrock doesn't have turn-based combat like EO, and as far as I can tell, no town/hub to do things like shopping or healing. It's straight up "This is where you are, this is what you start with (character creation aside), now try to get out." I would imagine there's a rest system or something for healing, I do know there's a food/hunger system of some sort.

It DOES have that exploration element of EO. I foresee a lot of time spent trying to figure out how to open things or get past puzzles, or looking for every little secret wall to get that extra bit of goodies.

What I'm wondering is if monsters respawn eventually. I don't exactly want to grind, but if I get lost and can't figure out how to open something or get through a room I at least want to get distracted by more monsters.

The game is all about making you feel alone and hopeless. Some of the rooms shown in the trailer honestly looked more annoying than anything (rows of trapdoor floors opening and closing at a fairly quick pace, etc.), but hopefully they won't be as hard to pass through as they seemed to me.

I'd give it a shot at least. It's $12 if you preorder from www.grimrock.net right now. For $12 even if I hate it at least I'm not out $30+ like I would be with a DS or console game.
#3giocarePosted 4/7/2012 11:37:58 AM(edited)
There is a rest and hunger system. You can rest to regain your hp/mana but there's a chance of monsters interrupting you. You also have to eat, and your main food source comes from dead monsters.

From what I've read monsters don't respawn except in special circumstances.
#4Urim_NorgythPosted 4/7/2012 10:45:27 PM
Etrian Odyssey is like Wizardry.

Legend of Grimrock is like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder.

Both dungeon crawlers but very different, mainly in the combat and interaction with the world (which is pretty much everything now, isn't it?)
---
Antec 900 Two ~ Asus P5Q SE Plus ~ Intel Q8400 @ 2.67ghz ~ 4GB DDR2 800 ~ ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB ~ Enermax Liberty 620W ~ Seagate 500GB HDD