If I'm gonna play one game either this or wizardry 8, which should I play?

#1DetectivPenguinPosted 4/15/2012 10:37:38 AM
Halp me decide plz. <.<
---
http://i.imgur.com/fyPeQ.jpg
That's Pennington, a train passenger. He SAYS he's a detective, but I don't know.. THANK YOU mariolover2 for the sig!
#2ForgetthenamePosted 4/15/2012 11:19:36 AM

I really enjoyed Wizardry 8 a lot and still plays it once in a while, so I would probably recommend that.

That being said, Legend of Grimrock is a really nice and accesible dungeon crawler, that is quite engaging.

So, I recommend you play both :)

#3dekouPosted 4/15/2012 11:41:26 AM
Wizardry 8 is infinitely more complex combat, story and character development wise, but it's ugly and can be very tedious, especially in towns. You have to fight several times just to get to a shop and the fights aren't especially easy or short.
#4Psycho_PoodlePosted 4/15/2012 12:06:25 PM
Tough choice! Do you already own Wizardry 8? If you don't its a whopping $60 on Amazon!! Plus the combat is a bit slow for some people's liking. It is the better game overall though, I think. Play Grimrock first if you wanna play it safe. Then if you love Grimrock, give Wizardry 8 a spin and see how it suits you.
---
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.
#5DetectivPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2012 12:40:40 PM

Tough choice! Do you already own Wizardry 8? If you don't its a whopping $60 on Amazon!! Plus the combat is a bit slow for some people's liking. It is the better game overall though, I think. Play Grimrock first if you wanna play it safe. Then if you love Grimrock, give Wizardry 8 a spin and see how it suits you.

Yeah I do have them both and I'd like to play through both but it's highly likely I'll ever make it to the 2nd one, just due to the nature of these games.
---
http://i.imgur.com/fyPeQ.jpg
That's Pennington, a train passenger. He SAYS he's a detective, but I don't know.. THANK YOU mariolover2 for the sig!
#6PKMNsonyPosted 4/15/2012 12:53:25 PM
Forgetthename posted...
I really enjoyed Wizardry 8 a lot and still plays it once in a while, so I would probably recommend that.That being said, Legend of Grimrock is a really nice and accesible dungeon crawler, that is quite engaging.So, I recommend you play both :)

I think "accessible" is the key word here. Wizardry 8 is definitely more in-depth, but it'll feel a bit clunkier due to its age. If you don't have a problem with that kind of stuff, then I would definitely recommend that first.
#7giocarePosted 4/15/2012 1:21:56 PM
Psycho_Poodle posted...
Tough choice! Do you already own Wizardry 8? If you don't its a whopping $60 on Amazon!!

Wow...I'm surprised it's not on Steam or GoG.
#8Hi CPosted 4/15/2012 4:53:11 PM
Beware a first timer Wiz8 playthrough can be anywhere between 80-140 hours. Grimrock is a fraction of that.

It's the closest thing to perfection you can get besides Baldurs Gate 2. Sirtech went all out on it being their final game and the trilogies finale.
---
You'll be my John G.
#9The Ghost SongPosted 4/15/2012 5:25:16 PM
Sirtech's library got carved up during the fall of the 90's gaming giants. Licensing its old properties is a sisyphean task if ever there was one.
#10tzuydPosted 4/16/2012 1:28:49 AM
This, because I personally never liked the Wizardry series. In any case, this is going to be more accessible, and probably more basic. Therefore, it serves as an excellent introduction to the genre, should you decide you want to check out more.
---
"Instead of engaging the trolls and playing their game, mark them and move on. Engaging the trolls only gets you into trouble."