Zero Escape: 999 VS Zero Escape VLR

#1ThefunyarinpaPosted 10/9/2012 6:04:54 PM(edited)
Which do you find better? - Results (59 votes)
999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors
15.25% (9 votes)
VLR: Virtues Last Reward
22.03% (13 votes)
It's a tie.
6.78% (4 votes)
HOW CAN I CHOOSE BETWEEN MY TWO FAVORITE BABIES!?
55.93% (33 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Which one did you find to be superior to the other? (I forgot to add a "Have not played" option. Sorry. :(
---
*Official Quark of the Zero Escape board!*
--------------3DS FC: 1289-8486-6925--------------
#2HiddenDoorwayPosted 10/9/2012 6:44:23 PM
I thought VLR was a lot better than 999 in some ways, but worse in other ways.

I'd probably say that I liked VLR more, though.

Although, you probably should have waited until there were more than 3 to 5 people on this board who have actually played the game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/RCzU6.jpg
#3BeanBeanKingdomPosted 10/10/2012 1:37:10 AM
Does VLR explain what a funyarinpa is? If so, VLR. If not, 999.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#4AnimetalchickPosted 10/10/2012 9:59:50 AM
I'd say that Virtue's Last Reward certainly looks better, but I haven't played it yet. I absolutely loved 999. VLR looks more polished and the gameplay mechanics/graphics look better.

HiddenDoorway, how would you compare the two games without giving away any spoilers?
#5HiddenDoorwayPosted 10/10/2012 11:00:35 AM
HiddenDoorway, how would you compare the two games without giving away any spoilers?

I can try.

I think that the escape segments are far better. Rather than just solving a puzzle you have a lot more freedom. You can move around freely and there is a lot more to do than just solve the puzzle. There are ten secret files hidden in every escape room that you can hunt for, some of which involve solving a smaller puzzle within the the escape room. Plus, the puzzles are a lot more inventive and unique this time around.

This game is much longer than 999 was, and the story, game rules, etc. are all fleshed out a lot more. I saw someone say that the jump from 999 to VLR is a lot like the jump from Portal to Portal 2, where it takes the concept of the first game and expands on it to make a much longer, more complicated game. That being said, sometimes VLR gets a little too complicated for its own good, although most things do get resolved in the end. But there is just so many things going on at once that it's a little overwhelming, to the point where it makes 999's plot look rather simple in comparison. If you even just look at the wall of technical terms without context in the opening there are so many different things going on at once.

I think the concept of VLR Ambidex system is a lot better and more interesting than the Digital Root system. I overall prefer the story in VLR to 999, although I think 999 had a much better true ending. But VLR has much more crazy twists and reveals, more interesting characters, and I think that the ending that you get right before you can get the true ending is on the level of the impact that the true ending in 999 left me with.
---
#6kilicool64Posted 10/10/2012 11:04:47 AM
HiddenDoorway posted...

I can try.

I think that the escape segments are far better. Rather than just solving a puzzle you have a lot more freedom. You can move around freely and there is a lot more to do than just solve the puzzle. There are ten secret files hidden in every escape room that you can hunt for, some of which involve solving a smaller puzzle within the the escape room. Plus, the puzzles are a lot more inventive and unique this time around.

This game is much longer than 999 was, and the story, game rules, etc. are all fleshed out a lot more. I saw someone say that the jump from 999 to VLR is a lot like the jump from Portal to Portal 2, where it takes the concept of the first game and expands on it to make a much longer, more complicated game. That being said, sometimes VLR gets a little too complicated for its own good, although most things do get resolved in the end. But there is just so many things going on at once that it's a little overwhelming, to the point where it makes 999's plot look rather simple in comparison. If you even just look at the wall of technical terms without context in the opening there are so many different things going on at once.

I think the concept of VLR Ambidex system is a lot better and more interesting than the Digital Root system. I overall prefer the story in VLR to 999, although I think 999 had a much better true ending. But VLR has much more crazy twists and reveals, more interesting characters, and I think that the ending that you get right before you can get the true ending is on the level of the impact that the true ending in 999 left me with.

Sounds great. I played Remember11, one of Uchikoshi's older works, and I love how incredibly complex and twisty the plot is.
#7PurpleMasterPosted 10/10/2012 11:46:36 AM
HiddenDoorway, thanks for your long post! That's a Hype+7!
2 weeks are a looong time, and I'm not counting the shipping... :(
I like how killcool64 mentioned Remember11's plot. Yep, that one had SO MANY things going on at once and required a lot of patience to figure everything out, since the game didn't directly answer every question.
And, thank god, I didn't find the ending to be such a disappointment as many other people.
Let's see what VLR can do!

Another question, without spoiling anything, the "letdown" of the true ending is somehow tied to the fact that the game was done with a third game already in mind?
#8HiddenDoorwayPosted 10/10/2012 11:56:19 AM
Another question, without spoiling anything, the "letdown" of the true ending is somehow tied to the fact that the game was done with a third game already in mind?

Not really. That was a small part of it, but I could understand that. But... I can't really say why I didn't like it as much as 999's true ending without unintentionally spoiling some stuff.

I don't think it was bad, I just don't think it was as good. They really played a lot of their cards early on. I think that everything before the true ending is, for the most part, a lot better, though.
---
#9Ro9gePosted 10/10/2012 2:36:54 PM
Did you say it made 999's plot look SIMPLE in comparison?

Gee, I'm kind of scared now. How's the voice acting in general? Not comparing English vs Japanese, but just how much does it help involve you in the story and flesh out the characters?
#10HiddenDoorwayPosted 10/10/2012 4:20:56 PM
How's the voice acting in general? Not comparing English vs Japanese, but just how much does it help involve you in the story and flesh out the characters?

Well, my answer would kind of have to compare the English version to the Japanese version. For the Japanese version, for the most part all of the voices really added a lot of personality to all of the characters, besides maybe Quark (I always found his CV to be unfitting). But so far the English version, outside of Zero III and Quark who are probably superior, and Dio and Luna who are on par with their CVs, a lot of the voice actors are really lacking what really made all of the other characters' voices so special. Like the sexy flare of Alice's voice, Clover's more cutesy voice that everyone should grow to hate, Tenmyouji's sarcastic tone of voice (I have no idea what they were thinking about when they casted his English voice actor), K's super polite tone of voice, and the flatness of Phi's voice.
---