Do you call her Mary or Marie and why?

#1Strain42Posted 9/3/2011 6:26:02 PM
Obviously her Japanese name right now is Mari, so it's fairly understandable why there would be some confusion as to why she's Mary or Marie. (since neither of those really match the Japanese pronunciation)

I personally call her Mary, and I'm pretty sure that's going to be her English name. My reasoning is mainly because her appearance makes it look like she has some Velvet Room connections, and since Igor, Elizabeth, Theodore and Margaret are all in reference to Frankenstein, written by Mary Shelly, I think it's a safe guess until more information arises.

How about you all? Which do you call her, and why?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#2FScellPosted 9/3/2011 6:33:44 PM
Looking at it again I notice that the kana is "marii"

So I'd probably say it's meant to be Marie.
---
"The SAFE was slain in battle. A great flaming nautical pyre carries it off to VAULTHALLA.."
#3Haru_HaruhiPosted 9/3/2011 6:46:33 PM
Her name would actually romanize closer to Marii, pronounced maree, since it has a choonpu attached to the end. I go with Mary, since I feel it would probably romanize closer to that, and it fits with the Mary Shelley naming scheme.
---
Brigade
If you are not with us, you are either an enemy or a client!
#4Strain42(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2011 6:51:36 PM
-adjusts his glasses and looks again-

I stand corrected.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#5SmashStrikePosted 9/3/2011 6:54:32 PM
I don't talk about her much and when I do I type Marie/Mary so... whatever. Marie I guess, looks prettier to type.
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#6Probit_ReturnPosted 9/3/2011 6:54:57 PM
I call her Marie, mostly because, like my sig says, I think her hat is a big red herring. It's almost too obvious, like it's screaming "look at me! Look at me! I'm from the Velvet Room!" Plus, since pretty much everyone knows by now that there was a significance to MShe's hairpins, I could see them subverting it with Marie, just to throw everyone off. It just seems weird they'd make it so obvious, but not reveal right away "oh, by the way, she's part of the Velvet Room" like I THINK (not sure though) they did with Theo. Admittedly, that's just wishful thinking on my part, but still.
---
"Why is the red herring blue?!" Me on Marie's hat in Persona 4: The Golden.
#7HollowNinjaPosted 9/3/2011 7:41:25 PM
Mary makes more sense, due to the Frankenstein/Velvet Room thing which I did not know about until just now.

The "proper romanization" probably isn't a very good basis to go off. I've seen enough bad English in Japanese media to know that oftentimes, they make mistakes. If the naming scheme fits a theme, then usually, it's better to follow that theme than to stick to the Japanese to closely, since quite frankly, the Japanese is oftentimes wrong.

So Mary it is. It's possible that the Japanese developers intended for the name to be Marie, in which case I hope Atlys has the sense to change the name to Mary. Really, I think about half of the characters' names in Japanese games and anime deserve to be changed when they are localized.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja Steam: DJ illi ill
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL
#8FScellPosted 9/3/2011 7:44:03 PM
Marie is a very sensible romanization of Marii.

Now IF she has a connection the velvet room then you could definitely go Mary for the sake of theme naming.

But if not, Marie seems a better fit.
---
"The SAFE was slain in battle. A great flaming nautical pyre carries it off to VAULTHALLA.."
#9T_AcePosted 9/3/2011 8:32:40 PM
Marie. Just like it more.
---
"Favored by the world my ass...I'm going to say it flat out. You're nothing but a worthless criminal!!!"
#10HollowNinjaPosted 9/3/2011 10:26:23 PM

Marie is a very sensible romanization of Marii.

Now IF she has a connection the velvet room then you could definitely go Mary for the sake of theme naming.

But if not, Marie seems a better fit.

In relative terms... yes. But like you said, Mary fits with the theme.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja Steam: DJ illi ill
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL