ITT: Things you miss from past games that you want brought back.

#21Tayo2345Posted 4/19/2012 5:24:51 PM
Strain42 posted...
Also...I'm not gonna lie, I was really hoping to make my FeMC wear the Low Cut Armor and have Boxing Gloves. How awesome would that have been?

Dude.

Yes.

On a scale of "how awesome would this be", going from one to ten...

Yes.

Just yes.
---
I don't care what you say, Generation II sucks.
That's just my opinion, no matter how true it may be.
#22MwulfPosted 4/19/2012 9:10:21 PM
The only thing I really dislike about Persona 3/4 is how... disjointed the gameplay and narrative are. Well, I'm not saying incoherent... just too divided. The clear-cut division between the "real" world and the "persona" world was too much. It's really hard to have narrative tension when you KNOW nothing abnormal is ever going to happen unless you CHOOSE to go inside the TV/Dark Hour. It would have been nice to have the occasional persona battle/boss battle in the "real world" segments, just to keep things more interesting. The distinction between "worlds" was far more seamless in earlier titles.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#23WisenenPosted 4/20/2012 2:30:33 AM
Mwulf posted...
The only thing I really dislike about Persona 3/4 is how... disjointed the gameplay and narrative are. Well, I'm not saying incoherent... just too divided. The clear-cut division between the "real" world and the "persona" world was too much. It's really hard to have narrative tension when you KNOW nothing abnormal is ever going to happen unless you CHOOSE to go inside the TV/Dark Hour. It would have been nice to have the occasional persona battle/boss battle in the "real world" segments, just to keep things more interesting. The distinction between "worlds" was far more seamless in earlier titles.

This, so much. How awesome would it have been to have a boss shadow escape the TV world and wreck downtown Inaba?
---
Platinum: Ryan FC: 1290-5019-4659
#24MwulfPosted 4/20/2012 9:05:44 AM
^--Thinking big is nice. Also think small.

Imagine going through the social links and choosing to meet up with someone on the roof for lunch or something. You get up their, start talking, and then BAM! Shadow attack.

This kind of thing may be harder to incorporate from a narrative perspective, but from a gameplay perspective, I think it's absolutely essential. There should never be an obvious divide between "safe" areas and "dangerous" areas.

Like in old-school RPGs where you never cared about anything once you reached a town because nothing dangerous EVER happens inside a town... aside from those few games where something DOES happen and the game is so much better for it because you never saw the danger coming.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#25FScellPosted 4/20/2012 10:10:08 AM(edited)
Separation into Safe/Dangerous areas is a fairly essential part of gameplay if you want to avoid a great amount of annoyance.

It's a pretty stark divide in P4, true, but it's also completely logical within Narrative. Introducing those surprise elements might be a bit too much of a strain on credibility there.
---
Would have liked to run tests on the sea shells.
#26adgatoPosted 4/20/2012 10:53:01 AM
Nowujalo posted...
I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this but I will say it anyway

Bring back negotiations and get rid of the dating sim feeling/social links

Social Links aren't bad but they are really nothing special either

I love the social links, but wish the calender was not as strict, or only advanced when the player chose to.
#27WisenenPosted 4/20/2012 10:45:38 PM
Mwulf posted...
^--Thinking big is nice. Also think small.

Imagine going through the social links and choosing to meet up with someone on the roof for lunch or something. You get up their, start talking, and then BAM! Shadow attack.

This kind of thing may be harder to incorporate from a narrative perspective, but from a gameplay perspective, I think it's absolutely essential. There should never be an obvious divide between "safe" areas and "dangerous" areas.

Like in old-school RPGs where you never cared about anything once you reached a town because nothing dangerous EVER happens inside a town... aside from those few games where something DOES happen and the game is so much better for it because you never saw the danger coming.

I like that. It would certainly make some social links have an exciting climax. I don't think it'd be that difficult to incorporate into the narrative. In P4, these shadow attacks could happen and nobody but the protagonist and the social link in question would be aware of the attacks. It would mesh in with the whole idea of seeing what one wants to see, even if it's an illusion.

Persona as a series is really interesting to me, and I think exploring the nature of shadows, Personas and other phenomena would really make the series stand out.

Oh, and if there are social links in the next game, I want the main characters talk about their abilities as Persona users.

A healer type character may use his/her new skills to volunteer at a hospital. The magic may be undetectable or well hidden, to avoid staff finding out.
Eventually, he/she gets exhausted or gets frustrated with the lack of change being made and has an inner conflict about the duty to help others at the cost of one's own happiness. (Hanged Man, Strength Arcana?)

Another character could have a hostile Persona because of low self esteem/self loathing. At first he/she doesn't know the root of this low self worth, but then there could be a belated shadow battle where this character gets a 'true persona' - not the same as an ultimate form. In this case, he/she would accept what a shadow says too willingly, causing these feelings of negativity to fester and come around a lot more dangerously.
(Hermit Arcana?)

Of course for these, there would have to be different dialogue branches for the characters in the overall story.
---
Platinum: Ryan FC: 1290-5019-4659