SPOILERS? About skill cards.

#1Doru_DinnPosted 5/16/2012 9:08:45 PM
We've established that there are skill cards, and apparently based on trophies, marie will "set them up" for you.
She also apparently interacts with the party members.

What if the skill cards in this game are used to customize the third personas? E.G. Flame afro susano-o has no natural skills, but you equip them via skill cards. This game was already far more ally oriented than P3, so while I doubt it it, the idea seems perfectly feasible in writing.

I would imagine if this were the case, the overlapping would be unavailable as in the footsteps of devil survivor.
#2Doru_Dinn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2012 10:03:58 AM
If I might add, now that they've officially announced the details on Kouzeon, it seems more and more likely.

(Does anyone know how to edit a post on mobile?)
#3Probit_ReturnPosted 5/18/2012 1:17:41 PM(edited)
It's an interesting theory, but the problem with this is that until you get about 24 skill cards to cover the slots of 3 party members, these new personas would be next to useless. Not to mention, if they have the same style of stat restriction on characters that Devil Survivor uses, it would be hard to make something useable over their natural personas until near endgame.

The reason it works for Devil Survivor is because they have no other means of attacking other than to equip these skills (edit: and they're fairly widespread as you go through the game). It's not like they have innate skills, like personas naturally have, that can be swapped out to make something else when you crack new skills (Orpheus Telos excluded, since, outside of P3P's skill cards, he's a blank slate that can theoretically have any skill you want if you want to put in the effort to fuse him. With skill cards, you can just save up and throw anything you want on him, making it a whole lot easier).
---
Hinako danced crazy
#4Doru_Dinn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2012 5:39:28 PM
Probit_Return posted...
It's an interesting theory, but the problem with this is that until you get about 24 skill cards to cover the slots of 3 party members, these new personas would be next to useless. Not to mention, if they have the same style of stat restriction on characters that Devil Survivor uses, it would be hard to make something useable over their natural personas until near endgame.

The reason it works for Devil Survivor is because they have no other means of attacking other than to equip these skills (edit: and they're fairly widespread as you go through the game). It's not like they have innate skills, like personas naturally have, that can be swapped out to make something else when you crack new skills (Orpheus Telos excluded, since, outside of P3P's skill cards, he's a blank slate that can theoretically have any skill you want if you want to put in the effort to fuse him. With skill cards, you can just save up and throw anything you want on him, making it a whole lot easier).

I actually did specify that under my train of thoughts, the thirds would have no skills, and I said nothing about stats. We already think they might be able to switch between the first or second and third. In addition you're assuming you'll unlock skill cards after you get the third personas. I severely doubt you'll get them so early.

I don't understand where you're coming from.
#5Strain42Posted 5/18/2012 5:48:32 PM
I think they're just making Marie have a skill card compendium because in P3P if you got a Persona's skill card, but then registered the Persona afterwards, that card was lost forever (except for the one that you have) They probably just wanted to make it so you could get more of a type of skill card if you lost it.

I doubt it'll have anything to do with the party member Personae.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#6Doru_Dinn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2012 1:06:56 AM
Agreed. Creative wishful thinking. XD

Your allies are already useful in this one.
#7Probit_ReturnPosted 5/22/2012 1:44:29 PM
What I meant was that without any skill cards, the third party personas would all be useless without their own skills. And since they already have personas WITH skills, and they work rather well at that, there would be next to no real reason to use the third personas until end game.

The part about stats was just another little link to Devil Survivor, since the idea is conceptually based on that series. In Devil Survivor, in order to equip a skill, you need to meet the stat requirements, meaning some party members are unable to equip certain skills. Meaning you can't give Atsuro or Daichi Megidolaon or Fumi Deathbound.

It's a check to keep you from making anyone other than the Main Character multi-talented and potentially overpowered (and coming from someone who generally equally raises my Devil Survivor MC's stats until about 15, where Magic and Agility or Vitality starts getting everything, it takes work and dedication). There's no reason to think that if they used the idea, they wouldn't have some sort of way to balance it.

I don't mean to sound pissy or anything. I'm just pointing out potential flaws with your initial idea. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk. I honestly didn't mean to. Hope this post clarified things.
---
Hinako danced crazy
#8Doru_Dinn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2012 2:25:56 PM
Probit_Return posted...
What I meant was that without any skill cards, the third party personas would all be useless without their own skills. And since they already have personas WITH skills, and they work rather well at that, there would be next to no real reason to use the third personas until end game.

The part about stats was just another little link to Devil Survivor, since the idea is conceptually based on that series. In Devil Survivor, in order to equip a skill, you need to meet the stat requirements, meaning some party members are unable to equip certain skills. Meaning you can't give Atsuro or Daichi Megidolaon or Fumi Deathbound.

It's a check to keep you from making anyone other than the Main Character multi-talented and potentially overpowered (and coming from someone who generally equally raises my Devil Survivor MC's stats until about 15, where Magic and Agility or Vitality starts getting everything, it takes work and dedication). There's no reason to think that if they used the idea, they wouldn't have some sort of way to balance it.

I don't mean to sound pissy or anything. I'm just pointing out potential flaws with your initial idea. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk. I honestly didn't mean to. Hope this post clarified things.

None of those are significant enough for me to see as problems IMO.
Not a problem. Sorry I was being a jerk. XD
#9Probit_ReturnPosted 5/22/2012 2:38:40 PM
Nah, you weren't being a jerk. Let's just call it a faulty internet tone processing exchange.

Hurray for being overly verbose when I don't have to!
---
Hinako danced crazy