New to the series

#1VIP_TimePosted 5/24/2012 6:53:43 PM
Was wondering if you guys could help me get in to this series, it seems to have some awesome games, just don't know where to start. Where do I start in this series? I'll have whatever console/portable is needed, so no need to worry about that.
#2SeargentSousukePosted 5/24/2012 7:04:07 PM
Almost every game in this series is stand-alone. The only stories that are inter-connected are:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Digital Devil Saga and Digital Devil Saga 2
Persona 4 and Persona 4: Arena

So, unless it's one of those examples, go ahead and find any game with Shin Megami Tensei in it and enjoy.
---
The OFFICIAL Sousuke Sagara of EVERYTHING.
#3Navyblack14Posted 5/24/2012 7:14:31 PM
If you want a good starting point, Persona 3 FES for the PS2 is your game. It should only be 20 bucks on Amazon, too.
---
Soji Seta forever. Also Minako.
#4Ikilluha1Posted 5/24/2012 7:17:41 PM
I suggest just starting off with Persona 3 or 4.

Those two are a great introduction to the series. After that, move onto Persona 2 IS/EP. Then after getting used to those either move onto Persona 1. If you can't get into P1 then go to Devil Survivor for the DS. If you liked that move to Devil Survivor 2.

Affffffter those games move onto the Strange Journey, which is the closest to what Megami Tensei was out of the most recent SMT games. If you liked Strange Journey you will probably love Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1/2, SMT1/2, MT1.

You could also play the Raidou games which aren't traditional SMT games though. Recommended after playing P3 or 4. But you will probably like those if you like the entire SMT atmosphere, characters, demons, and story-lines.

Uhh you can look at this image, but it wasn't really made from someone suuuuuuper experienced with the SMT series but whatever it's pretty close.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2413/smtguide.png
---
http://backloggery.com/Solar
#5VIP_Time(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 7:44:12 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the quick replies! Getting 3 FES now.
#6LinkofHyrule991Posted 5/24/2012 7:56:41 PM
If you have a PS3 you can buy Persona 3 FES off of the PSN store for $10
---
It's over, you've lost the game. -Near
I don't remember Redd White changing his name to Bandit Keith. Not even in America.-Aceburner
#7Lelouch71Posted 5/24/2012 8:04:46 PM
PSP: Persona 1, Innocent Sin, Eternal Punishment (dubbed soon), P3P
PS2: DDS1, DDS2, Raidou 1, Raidou 2, Nocturne (aka SMT3), and Persona 3 FES
DS: Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2
3DS: Devil Survivor Overclocked (the definitive version of DeSu1) and Soul Hackers (coming soon)
Vita: Persona 4 Golden (definitive version of P4)

Then there are fan translations of SMT1 and SMT2.

Persona 3 and 4 are good starting points but they aren't good representatives of the megaten series. You can say they are black sheep of the series as far as themes goes.

I started with them but eventually played the original trilogy of the Persona titles, both Devil Survivors, DDS, SJ, Raidou 2, and Nocturne. I'm currently awaiting to play Soul Hackers for the first time. P2 is my favorite of the bunch thus far.
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#8SazukeEXPosted 5/24/2012 8:34:31 PM
SeargentSousuke posted...
Almost every game in this series is stand-alone. The only stories that are inter-connected are:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Digital Devil Saga and Digital Devil Saga 2
Persona 4 and Persona 4: Arena

So, unless it's one of those examples, go ahead and find any game with Shin Megami Tensei in it and enjoy.

Persona 4: Arena also brings back Persona 3 characters and may involve the search for you know what for you know who.
---
XBox Live: Tinklyknight (Not Gold at the moment due to various reasons)
#9VIP_Time(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2012 7:12:36 AM
Just did the first battle in 3 FES, already seems like a great game.
#10Super SlashPosted 5/25/2012 7:28:36 AM
Fun fact: technically the Persona games aren't actually SMT titles; they're spinoffs. They only got the SMT title in the US for marketing purposes.

Glad to see you're enjoying P3. Both are awesome games.