This game left a good impression on me

#21Bishop_SasaraiPosted 5/29/2012 3:01:32 PM
Riviera is hardly a game to base judgement on the JRPG genre as a whole. Even after the whole "abandon ship" attitude of so many ex-JRPG fans as well as efforts of American companies to bash Japanese companies (not surprising, it's how we do things) when they can barely make a game that appeals to me makes me appreciate JRPGs and Eastern development even more than I did when I was in high school (1996 - 2000; yes, I'm semi-old).

Persona 4 was a game I ultimately enjoyed more than Persona 3. I like them both, but at least I liked all of the main cast for P4, whereas I didn't care too much for Mitsuru and Aegis. S. Links-wise they're about the same, though I liked how you didn't have to romance the girls in P4 if you didn't want to. Gameplay-wise I'll take P4 hands down. Better dungeons (not by a ton, but at least there was SOME variety) and not having to watch Mitsuru trying to charm bosses was a plus. Graphics are the same, locations I enjoyed more in P4, I loved both games' music.

Oh, and I don't have many problems with Yosuke. If I didn't have car payments I'd totally buy P4: Golden and a Vita (and P3P while I'm at it).
---
Fellow gamers...PSN ID is HarmoniaVictor.
#22Sakura_RailgunPosted 5/29/2012 4:20:20 PM
Didn't really like Persona 3, but Persona 4 was definitely a great title I will remember for years to come.
#23KiraDEATHNOTEPosted 5/29/2012 4:49:35 PM
Kinectric posted...
Strain42 posted...
P3 did for me, honestly after the bond I made with that game, 4 really felt like a let down for me (not saying it's bad, just that to me, outside of gameplay, it did very few things better than 3)

Other games that left long lasting impressions on me are Legend of Mana, Bioshock, Saints Row 2 and Riviera: The Promised Land (though this one was actually a negative impression, as this was the game that made me come to the realization that I could no longer stomach the vast majority of JRPGs)

Outside of gameplay, one of the most important things to a GAME, it did very few things better than 3.

Okay.

I'm just really not a fan of 3. It's a good game, but the story wasn't very good (generic world's going to end story, oh boy. At least Persona 4 did something semi-new, even if it didn't do it the greatest), and none or the characters (except probably Aegis) were likable. I came out of Persona 4 liking all of the characters, and I felt they genuinely cared for each other. In Persona 3 I just didn't like any of the characters, and actually hated a few. They all just seem to conveniently live in the same dorm, occasionally fight some enemies in a tower, then do their own thing until the next time there's enemies to fight. It didn't seem like a cohesive team, but rather a bunch of individuals fighting next to each other.

I liked the characters in P3 a lot better than P4. I felt a strong connection with them. I also prefer the dark mood in P3 than P4.
---
I don't reply to trolls/haters who reply back to my post messages. Your wasting your time, but then again that's what you do best.
#24KiraDEATHNOTEPosted 5/29/2012 4:54:03 PM
Sakura_Railgun posted...
Didn't really like Persona 3, but Persona 4 was definitely a great title I will remember for years to come.

To each their own. Even though I perfer P3. I still love both of them. Out of all the jrpgs I played this series is by far the best I played. That's just me though.
---
I don't reply to trolls/haters who reply back to my post messages. Your wasting your time, but then again that's what you do best.
#25natchu96Posted 5/29/2012 5:29:45 PM
PsychoDantis posted...
It didn't seem like a cohesive team, but rather a bunch of individuals fighting next to each other.

I agree with this, but I don't see it as a negative. The whole game is cold and isolated. It gives it a neat vibe.

Agree on the fact that a lack of a cohesive team isn't always bad. The Answer was a team break-up plot. Half of Devil Survivor 2's (and 1 to some extent, it seems, though I haven't played it yet) conflict is the fact that the party literally had next to no cohesion whatsoever, and it turned out rather well in my opinion.
---
Official Lopunny of the Black 2 Board