I always try playing these RPGs

#1dkro_XPosted 5/31/2012 3:47:01 PM
But I haven't been able to get through one since I was fifteen. The battle mechanics are awesome, but the flood of awful dialogue that has to be skipped through, or worse, READ, is prohibitive and I can't imagine having to read through or skip five to ten hours of awful cutscenes about cliche characters and silly, childish themes.

tl;dr How do you guys put up with the terrible writing in every single RPG?
#2BakyuraPosted 5/31/2012 3:51:40 PM
Every RPG having terrible story is an opinion. :c
#3FScellPosted 5/31/2012 3:55:27 PM
By playing good RPGs.
---
Stay awhile, and listen.
#4Super SlashPosted 5/31/2012 4:05:54 PM
It's only terrible writing if you're picky.
#5Strain42Posted 5/31/2012 5:20:01 PM
I play RPGs that have mediocre to good writing and focus on those (though to be honest right now I don't really play any RPGs outside of MegaTen and Pokemon)

For what it's worth, this game will have the option to skip entire scenes with the push of a single button, so if you're ever bored, just blip and move on.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#6Safros93Posted 5/31/2012 6:46:48 PM
I guess the game isn't for you?
The battle system is fine and all but I assumed that most people played Persona 4 for the characters, the writing, the interactions, for the story, for the music, and for the battle system. As in.... all of those things that I mentioned were crucial to the experience. Not just for the the battles (personally that would be tedious for me). I also think the writing is fine, it's better than a lot of the writing that other RPGs have.
#7mensroom_leaderPosted 5/31/2012 7:16:22 PM
Super Slash posted...

If you're not picky, terrible writing would not disturb you much. It'd still be terrible writing, though.
#8FuyukiOsariPosted 5/31/2012 7:42:31 PM
mensroom_leader posted...
If you're not picky, terrible writing would not disturb you much. It'd still be terrible writing, though.

You're suggesting that writing can be objectively "terrible", but that simply isn't the case.
---
Ys Origin is now available on Steam!
If you're into fast-paced action and awesome music, check it out!
#9dkro_X(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 7:43:01 PM
mensroom_leader posted...
Super Slash posted...

Correct. The writing in these games (RPGs) is atrocious, the plot is always trite (read: ALWAYS trite), and the characters are tired, cliche, flat jokes.

I've got a friend who plays these games, and watches anime. He started telling me about this one game and the characters in it, I stopped him, and started guessing what the characters were all like. I got every @#$%ing 'character' spot on. How could I do that, if these stories had even a modicum of originality?

If people are indeed playing these games not for the gameplay, but for the story, they'd be better off reading quality literature (not that they'd be able to recognize skilled writing...)

Sigh. I'm just upset that this is what passes for good writing in a video game.
#10Strain42Posted 5/31/2012 8:15:31 PM
Well TC, I know this may sound surprising to have someone argue with your open minded and clearly not at all biased perspective on this, but no, not EVERY RPG has terrible writing (and while I can name examples, I'm hesitant to do so out of concern for starting a giant argument I don't want to get into)

And even if they did, what you're saying applies more to video games in general rather than just RPGs. To paraphrase Yahtzee, we're currently living in a world where a game is considered original if the gritty well armored soldier protagonist has a mustache.

And if I have to see one more fantasy game with the same races and classes I'm gonna take out my anger on some random NPCs who don't deserve it.

I'm not going to sit here and argue that P4 is an example of high quality writing (because...it's really not) and of course there are guidelines that help draw a line between good and bad writing.

If you're so sick and tired of RPGs, do what I did. STOP. PLAYING. THEM. Not hard. I gave up about 99% of JRPGs and I've been a happy man. I don't spend as much on video games, and I enjoy the few that I do play.

Oh, and just because you probably were expecting an example. Final Fantasy Tactics. If you think that game had bad writing, I'm honestly gonna have to call into question your own judgment on good vs. bad writing.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/